What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where's my axe? vs. Sharks...

hitman82

Bench
After 3 rounds and 3 limp performances resulting in 3 losses, all of which flattered us on the scoreboard - we NEED changes.

I figure we need at least 2 or 3 key positional changes to have the impact required.

Main problems? Without stat-checking they appear to me:
-Poor last tackle kicking
-Poor option taking within the opposition half
-Poor passing from dummy half
-Poor communication on attack in general
-Poor handling at crucial times, particularly from our props and Hohaia
-MISSED TACKLES
-Not enough creativity, not backing up offloads or hitting the ball at pace

Players who I think need to remain in the 17:
Brown, Berrigan, Ropati, Rapira, Mateo, Maloney, Inu, Matulino, Mannering, Hohaia (looking dodgy at fullback though)

Players looking dicey:
Hohaia (at least at fullback), Lillyman, Locke, Luck

Players open to being dropped:
Seymour, Moon, Packer, Heremaia

My team for next week:

Locke/Fish (yeah, I finally think something needs to be tried)
Fish/Locke
Brown
Ropati
Inu
Berrigan (solid, no frills, smart footy brain, experience)
Maloney (I trust him to run the show more than Seymour right now)
Rapira
Hohaia
Matulino
Mannering
Mateo (starting to look the goods, pity we don't support him)
Luck (he played well today so saved himself)

Mara
Ta'ai
Poching/Gavet (a prop needs to be made accountable for their failure to dominate)
Lillyman

Iafeta

Referee
1 Kevin Locke
2 Bill Tupou
3 Shaun Berrigan
4 Jerome Ropati
5 Krisnan Inu
6 James Maloney
7 Pita Godinet
8 Sam Rapira
9 Lewis Brown
10 Ben Matulino
11 Simon Mannering
12 Feleti Mateo
13 Michael Luck (at least he added a bit of mongrel into a few of his tackles today)

Interchange

Alehana Mara
Russell Packer
James Gavet
Ukuma Ta'ai

Coach: Brian McClennan

hitman82

Bench
True I forgot about young Tupou.
Against the Sharks I'd rather have him than Fish on the wing - Tupou always held his own when given a chance, has good explosive pace and can defend.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Not the week for changes.........that is the following week.

Please pick Luck, Seymour, Moon, kept Locke on the wing, don't start Berrigan, and don't follow Mateo.

The following week, try what Iafeta has suggested, but have Berrigan start hooker, Move Inu to centre with fish outside him, play Mateo lock, with Brown starting 2nd row.

Micistm

Bench
1 Kevin Locke
2 Bill Tupou
3 Shaun Berrigan
4 Jerome Ropati
5 Krisnan Inu
6 James Maloney
7 Pita Godinet
8 Sam Rapira
9 Lewis Brown
10 Ben Matulino
11 Simon Mannering
12 Feleti Mateo
13 Michael Luck (at least he added a bit of mongrel into a few of his tackles today)

Interchange

Alehana Mara
Russell Packer
James Gavet
Ukuma Ta'ai

Coach: Brian McClennan

Send that through to Ivan. If he doesn't respond, send it to Bluey, it's a matter of time if Ive insists on remaining on the same path

1. Locke
2. The Fish
3. Moon
4. Ropati
5. Inu
6. Godinet
7. Maloney
8. Rapira
9. Berrigan
10. Matulino
11. Brown
12. Mateo
13. Mannering

14. Mara
15. Lillyman
16. Ta'ai
17. Gavet

1. Locke
2. The Fish
3. Moon
4. Ropati
5. Inu
6. Godinet
7. Maloney
8. Rapira
9. Berrigan
10. Matulino
11. Brown
12. Mateo
13. Mannering

14. Mara
15. Lillyman
16. Ta'ai
17. Gavet

Without checking the stats and viewing the game today Packer goes out of the 17 and Lillytard to start would be my first change.

Next Lance needs a spell in the Vulcans possibly Locke or Inu at the back. Moon is on shakey ground but Ben Pomeroy is on fire for the Sharks so keep Moon in there for his defence on him.

Seymour out Maloney to 7 maybe Mateo at 6 or Berrigan to 7

so with that in mind

Inu
Tupou
J Ro --- Brown if Ropati injured
Moon
Locke
Mateo/Maloney
Maloney/Berrigan

Rapira
Heremaia
Lillytard
Mannering
Brown/Mateo
Luck

Matulino
Taii
Berrigan/Brown
Some Prop from the Vulcans or 20s

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Seymore, Luck and Hohaia to go.

Dont take this to as I don't agree, because I do..but Luck won't be dropped under Cleary. He never has a 'bad' game - constantly ho-hum. All the stuff about how he's vital to us on D is vastly overstated - yes he's a very capable defender but he may as well sit in the back field and pick daisies while we attack.

Scott

Bench
Is Sam Rapira a protected species??? He has been very poor so far this season.

Mateo needs the ball in his hands more often. He should play 6 imo.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
most depressing was that when we had the one man advantage the dragons broke the line at will.

devoid

Juniors
1. Locke
2. Tupou
3. Moon
4. Mannering
5. Inu
6. Maloney
7.?
8. Lillyman
9. Berrigan
10. Matulino
11. Brown
12. Mateo
13. Luck

14. Mara
15. Ta'ai
16. Lattimore
17. Lousi

The best I can come up with.
Jerome Ropati, James Gavet, Shaun Johnson, Steve Rapira excluded because of injury.
Sam Rapira, Russell Packer, Lance Hohaia, Aaron Heremaia need to sit down. Glen Fisiiahi not considered after having another shocker under the the highball for the Vulcans.

Meth

Staff member
Definitely time to axe some players to give them a wake up call. I would go-

Hohaia- bring in Fisiiahi
Seymour- bring in Godinet
Heremaia- bring in Mara
Ta'ai can replace Ropati, assuming he will be out injured.

1- Locke
2- Fisiiahi
3- Moon
4- Brown
5- Inu
6- Maloney
7- Godinet
8- Rapira
9- Berrigan
10- Lillyman
11- Mannering
12- Mateo
13- Luck

Res- Mara, Packer, Matulino, Ta'ai

Martli

Coach
My only concern re: dropping Hohaia, Luck etc. is the massive loss of experience. The team on the whole is pretty low in this department, and these two are some of the more experienced players we've got (especially with Vatuvei out and potentially Ropati also).

That being said I am starting to have my doubts about Hohaia at fullback now; I just don't like how casual he is under the high ball, he always has been in my opinion but it seems to be getting a lot worse; he lets it bounce too often I feel. Inu on the other hand tended to take them with confidence most of the time which was good to see. I think we need to try the Fish out here ASAP.

As for Luck, I think we can still have a good attack and keep him in the team, but I think in order for that to happen a few things need to change up top. As it stands our attack is so bad that we might need to sacrifice him, which sucks because it's not really his fault the attack is so bad. Not so sure if we should drop him just yet because of the experience factor, but I would like to see Tai'i back in the side with Mateo at lock playing more minutes.

I'm also convinced that our best halves pairing at the moment is John and Maloney. Obviously they're yet to play in the team together this season so it's hard to say at this stage, but based on Seymours bad form and last seasons pairing I'd want that combination on the field as soon as John is fit.

To finish on a positive note: It's good to see Inu with a bit of hunger in him. Keeping him out of the round 1 team seems to have had some influence on him.

Meth

Staff member
I've swung on Hohaia- I was disgusted with his game today. Perhaps the kick up the arse these guys (him, Seymour and Heremaia) need is a trip to the NSW cup. We are no more likely to lose this game with them (as they are currently playing) than we are without them.

Luck played well and should keep his spot, especially with either Brown or Mannering likely to go to the centres to cover for Jerome.

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
1 Locke
2 Glen Fisiiahi
3 E.Taylor
4 Ropati - has been pretty solid
5 Inu - shown some class
6 Maloney
7 Pita Godinet
8 Rapira
9 Heremaia - why is everyone hating on him?
10 Matulino - one of the better
11 Ta'ai
12 Mateo
13 Mannering

R Lillyman
R Brown
R Gavet
R Berrigan

Packer, Luck, Moon, Seymour - Mud

Lance is out of form

But I'll say it again guys.......the coach has to go!

Latest posts