What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where's my axe? vs. Sharks...

hitman82

Bench
My only concern re: dropping Hohaia, Luck etc. is the massive loss of experience. The team on the whole is pretty low in this department, and these two are some of the more experienced players we've got (especially with Vatuvei out and potentially Ropati also).

That being said I am starting to have my doubts about Hohaia at fullback now; I just don't like how casual he is under the high ball, he always has been in my opinion but it seems to be getting a lot worse; he lets it bounce too often I feel. Inu on the other hand tended to take them with confidence most of the time which was good to see. I think we need to try the Fish out here ASAP.

As for Luck, I think we can still have a good attack and keep him in the team, but I think in order for that to happen a few things need to change up top. As it stands our attack is so bad that we might need to sacrifice him, which sucks because it's not really his fault the attack is so bad. Not so sure if we should drop him just yet because of the experience factor, but I would like to see Tai'i back in the side with Mateo at lock playing more minutes.

I'm also convinced that our best halves pairing at the moment is John and Maloney. Obviously they're yet to play in the team together this season so it's hard to say at this stage, but based on Seymours bad form and last seasons pairing I'd want that combination on the field as soon as John is fit.

To finish on a positive note: It's good to see Inu with a bit of hunger in him. Keeping him out of the round 1 team seems to have had some influence on him.

Yeah dude I agree entirely on that point.

I think changes need to be made, drastic ones even - but we CAN'T just bring a whole heap of fringe/depth players in, in key positions, and expect to do any better.

How about Inu at Fullback, is that his preferred position?

As much as I think Hiho needs to be shifted out of the number 1 now, I am REALLY nervous about giving Locke or Fish the spot as Locke is in all reality, pretty dodgy, and Fish doesn't sound like he is going so well either.

I hate being beaten at all, but being beaten by 12 is better than being beaten by 50 with a whole heap of inexperienced players getting totally shown up...

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I hate being beaten at all, but being beaten by 12 is better than being beaten by 50 with a whole heap of inexperienced players getting totally shown up...

if we aren't making the finals.....then what's the f**king difference.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Never had a season where I felt so little excitement for my teams chances than this one.

Inexperience/experience, we're just making up the numbers either way so why not give some guys a chance at the big time to find out exactly who can handle the jump as well as take a leading role.

1. Locke
2. Fish
3. Inu
4. Moon
5. Tupou
6. Maloney
7. Godinet
8. Rapira
9. Mara
10. Packer
11. Mateo
12. Mannering
13. Brown

14. Poching
15. Lillyman
16. Matulino
17. Ta'ai

Last edited:

worier

Juniors
1. Locke
2. Tupou
3. Moon
4. Mannering
5. Inu
6. Maloney
7.?
8. Lillyman
9. Berrigan
10. Matulino
11. Brown
12. Mateo
13. Luck

14. Mara
15. Ta'ai
16. Lattimore
17. Lousi

The best I can come up with.
Jerome Ropati, James Gavet, Shaun Johnson, Steve Rapira excluded because of injury.
Sam Rapira, Russell Packer, Lance Hohaia, Aaron Heremaia need to sit down. Glen Fisiiahi not considered after having another shocker under the the highball for the Vulcans.

I see you got Locke at fullback I can hear someone :lol: about now (you probably know who i'm talking about) but interestingly you dropped Hohaia alltogether ??

Warmess

Juniors
I think changes need to be made, drastic ones even - but we CAN'T just bring a whole heap of fringe/depth players in, in key positions, and expect to do any better.

I don't think anyone can expect that after a huge change to the side, that they go out there and tear it up. After all, Clearly will still be listed as coach.

Yes, we lose experience, but what exactly is that experience giving us at the moment? Lance is out there looking bored, Mannering goes missing, Luck is...well, crap.

I'd rather get some youngsters some NRL experience for when a decent coach comes in that can do something with this side. We're gonna lose no matter who we put out there, so we may as well build to something.

hitman82

Bench
I think we can turn it around and still make the finals with some smart changes.

As big a fan of Godinet as I am, "smart changes" in my opinion doesn't involve him being our starting 6 or 7.

If he makes the side this year for any reason other than widespread injury, it should be on the bench. Everyone knows he's a very good hooker eh?

9. Mara
14. Godinet

Could be interesting.

Rich102

Staff member
A good article.
And do we hear anything decisive from Ivan?
No wonder the team is so confused and indecisive.

Rich102

Staff member
Going back to the trial games I remember one combination that was on fire: Fiisiahi and Godinet. They go together like fish & chips. (Sorry!)
They wanted to attack - and it worked.
We have nothing to lose.
Give Fish a go at fullback and Godinet a go at halfback.

Anyone see the Dogs yesterday? How good was the young fullback?

Meth

Staff member
Anyone see the Dogs yesterday? How good was the young fullback?

Barba?

To be fair, they've been working on him for a few seasons now and many Dogs fans feel like they have been to cautious in unleashing him

Last edited:

One Warrior

Bench
1. Locke
2. Fishiiahi
3. Mannering
4. Ropati (Moon if Ropati injured)
5. Inu
6. Maloney
7. Godinet (Johnson if fit)
8. Rapira
9. Berrigan
10. Matulino
11. Brown
12. Mateo
13. Luck
14. Hohaia (His best position, if he fails again then bring in Mara)
15. Lillyman
16. Lattimore
17. Ta'ai

Cleary on notice, make changes, give the team a gameplan or get sacked.

Meth

Staff member
I really am not satisfied with Locke and I still don't think he has done enough to deserve the #1 spot. For mine, selecting him at fullback would be a hail mary and hopefully serve as a wake up call to Hohaia that he is going to have to work to keep his fullback berth. If Hohaia is not fullback, he's not in the team.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
There's not a player going around today that could do anything on the Warriors right hand side. Put him midfield and then we'll see whether or not he's up to it.

Fact is Fish hasn't done enough either. Neither of them really have, but those are the options we have and a change needs to be made. Sometimes you just have to have faith in a player to come good in the position they feel most comfortable in.

devoid

Juniors
I see you got Locke at fullback I can hear someone :lol: about now (you probably know who i'm talking about) but interestingly you dropped Hohaia alltogether ??

Man, he looked so down on confidence this week, that he is not the best option for round 4 in my eyes - it's pretty simple really. The guy has had his chances for the three rounds but hasn't done enough, and while some seem to think Locke was average this week, I thought he went more than okay. But yeah, I just don't rate Hohaia as hooker, or as an option in the halves; when he was around the ruck we were as ineffectual as we were with Heremaia and Berrigan. I like his vision as the second player option, but around the ruck I don't think he offers much direction, and we are clearly lacking that - not that we're getting it from Heremaia or Berrigan. I would prefer a Mara/Berrigan pairing. To stick him straight in to that role in the top grade would be a mistake imo.

I've always been a Seymour supporter, but I would love to give a fit Shaun Johnson a run too, but I think he is a few weeks off - it might be unfair to put any #7 behind our pack at the moment anyway.

In short, we need something from our big boys, and from our hooker/halfback combination; it has been missing all season.

Finally, whoever wants to laugh at what our players or supporters do, or think, doesn't matter to me. I'm not out there slitting my wrists or calling for Ivan's or Lance's head because we are struggling. I want what is best for the team. Like it or not, Ivan wants the same thing too, as does Lance, Buster, Lucky (he had a good game - don't understand the hate)...Changes made? Sure. Whinging, crying and personal attacks because you think you are owed something from a professional sporting contest? Some people need to grow up.

ozbash

Referee
This season is a mirror image of last season, took a couple of injuries to re-arrange the mix and we were on our way.

Cleary's got to grow a set..

I've always been a Seymour supporter, but I would love to give a fit Shaun Johnson a run too, but I think he is a few weeks off - it might be unfair to put any #7 behind our pack at the moment anyway.

Dont think Shauns boring enough for the 1st grade team.

Latest posts