What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

where's our beloved game heading?

EELMAN JACK

Juniors
this question has been nagging me for some time now. look at what's going on:
(1) clubs in financial difficulties.
(2) fans from a losing side throwing opposition fans under cars.
(3) one scatterbrain thinking he is worth $1,000.000 per season.
(4) his club now threatening to sue him for $3,000,000 if he walks.
(5) players not honouring contracts.
(6) bloody stupid video ref.
(7) atrocious refereeing.
(8) fans throwing objects at referees.
(9) players ( in my opinion) not playing to their full abilities.
(10) too many byes.

this just names a few problems i see with the game at the present. the game needs a major overhaul if it is to survive. i for one am getting sick and tired of all the crap that is going on. lets get back to the basics and play the game as it should be.:(:(:(

eels1986

Juniors
(11) Fans not supporting their clubs e.g. attending games or getting full memberships
(12) Clubs offloading players
(13) The game half owned by a media organisation
(14) Too much media attention on the players
(15) It got to be bad when Mark Geyer and Gordon Tallis can get gigs commentating. I'll throw Gary Freeman and Mario Fenech in there too. Lets get some quality people giving hteir expert opinion, not people who can't string two sentences together.

We have the best game by far and yet the administration seems to turn a blind eye to the problem. They seem to be playing politics - charter boat what charter boat. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Tin Man 4.24

Juniors
Clubs have been relying on poker revenue for way too long. Skinning pensioners for their fortnightly allowance is no way to finance a football team.

EELMAN JACK

Juniors
Clubs have been relying on poker revenue for way too long. Skinning pensioners for their fortnightly allowance is no way to finance a football team.

very good point, if teams were serious about winning maybe gate takings would be higher and poky tax wouldn't be such an issue.

cirque

Juniors
Get big Conglomerate from outside Australia. I think that will be better. These days players get away playing rubbish. When these business guys comes in - some form of accountability will be there. At the moment these guys are untouchable.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Where is Channel Nine's heart and the location of most of their shows (and I think also where they are based with 60 minutes)?

Answer: Melbourne

The answer to our problems is a board that has no influence of any single media outlet.

I can't understand how the game with more depth in Rugby League could be stuggling. Sure AFL is a well supported sport but when the alternative is Rugby League then I can't understand what people are doing going to watch the fairies.

The reason why NRL isn't doing as well is Victorians are scared that they will lose their sport and NSW has been more than accomodating to it without worry of losing our sport.

sportive cupid

Referee
I have to agree here.
When we talk about revenue and pokie taxes I reckon we miss the point.

We have to get bums on seats essentially.It is no good to have plump Leagues Clubs if noone is watching the game.If mother's aren't encouraging their sons to play the Leagues Clubs might as well take their profits and put it back into the club house.

Avenger

Immortal
Considering we are in our 100th year, the headlines coming from News Limited recently is nothing short of disgusting.

Seriously is there a grubbier organisation ?

bartman

Immortal
We have to get bums on seats essentially.It is no good to have plump Leagues Clubs if noone is watching the game.If mother's aren't encouraging their sons to play the Leagues Clubs might as well take their profits and put it back into the club house.
Agree. And the game went the wrong way down a one way street when it ceded it's control (over scheduling and other such matters) to its TV masters years ago (before during and after the $uperleague debacle).

Our game rates it's sox off on payTV, and Foxtel etc would be in danger of losing substantial revenue if it didn't carry league as its prime content. The Sydney league market drove payTV take up in this country, and enabled it to then spread on a national basis and with the infrastructure to eventually grow and succeed in non-league territories.

If the administrators of our game are confident in the game's value as a product, it should set the guidelines for how the game is broadcast, and in doing so set down rules about scheduling that maximise the ongoing maintainance of the game as a spectator sport with bums on seats, instead of selling it's soul so payTV can make money out us watching overpaid players running around in near empty stadiums.

I for one wouldn't mind if we suffered a few years of only watching two games a week on free to air so long as we eventually get a pay broadcaster (Setanta?) willing to pay the rights to do it our way, and live of die on their product, instead of use it as leverage for it's other 50 channels of sh*t!

:)lol: please insert non-harsh jokey comments into the above at your leisure, seeing as I seem incapable today!)

TheRam

Coach
Considering we are in our 100th year, the headlines coming from News Limited recently is nothing short of disgusting.

Seriously is there a grubbier organisation ?

Yeah...banks, who ultimately control/own all major organizations, including News Corp & our politicians. :x

so why did the goverment take to regulations off the banks? wasn't it to make them more competitive? more like more profit for shareholders.

sportive cupid

Referee
Agree. And the game went the wrong way down a one way street when it ceded it's control (over scheduling and other such matters) to its TV masters years ago (before during and after the $uperleague debacle).

Our game rates it's sox off on payTV, and Foxtel etc would be in danger of losing substantial revenue if it didn't carry league as its prime content. The Sydney league market drove payTV take up in this country, and enabled it to then spread on a national basis and with the infrastructure to eventually grow and succeed in non-league territories.

If the administrators of our game are confident in the game's value as a product, it should set the guidelines for how the game is broadcast, and in doing so set down rules about scheduling that maximise the ongoing maintainance of the game as a spectator sport with bums on seats, instead of selling it's soul so payTV can make money out us watching overpaid players running around in near empty stadiums.

I for one wouldn't mind if we suffered a few years of only watching two games a week on free to air so long as we eventually get a pay broadcaster (Setanta?) willing to pay the rights to do it our way, and live of die on their product, instead of use it as leverage for it's other 50 channels of sh*t!

:)lol: please insert non-harsh jokey comments into the above at your leisure, seeing as I seem incapable today!)
What do you think of the point that appears to be made in that 60 minutes show that AFL (or you could insert other codes in there) is doing more than looking at getting people watching the sport but getting people actually playing it as well0which usually leads to more watching of it as well?

TheRam

Coach
so why did the goverment take to regulations off the banks? wasn't it to make them more competitive? more like more profit for shareholders.

This is a very complicated topic for this forum, but to put it simply. Deregulation ultimately means take overs, hence less competition. Look at Westpac/St George proposed merger which is happening right now.

Total deregulation ultimately hurts the consumer. That is why big business loves and demands it from government. If you wish to find more evidence of this for example, just look at the NCC or the ACCC. They where created under the Keating government, who has close ties with Hill Samuel Australia now the Macquarie Bank, board which by the way keating's sister Ann, is also a part of. Well anyway the first chairman of the NCC was Graeme Samuel, and since 2002 is also the ACCC chairman.

Surprisingly he used to be a long time board member of Hill Samuel/Macquarie Bank. This guy now has the job of deciding whether the merger of Westpac & St George is to go through or not.

Hmmm... I wonder what he is going to do?