What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where's Russell ? Forget Wally

OVP

Coach
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16322539-23214,00.html

Punter's challenge to Crowe
By Paul Kent
August 20, 2005

HOLLYWOOD superstar Russell Crowe has been challenged to a $250,000 bet that South Sydney will not beat the Sydney Roosters in tonight's match at Aussie Stadium.

A businessman contacted The Saturday Daily Telegraph seeking help to make the bet, angry at Crowe's continual ridiculing of the Roosters.

"I am sick of hearing him carry on," the man said. "It's time for him to put up or shut up. I've got $250,000 and if he is prepared to put up the same amount then let's go."

The businessman's identity is known to The Saturday Daily Telegraph but unless Crowe accepts the bet he does not want it released.

The finances should not be a problem for Crowe, who makes in the vicinity of $20million a movie.

He is also a passionate South Sydney fan.

If Crowe accepts the bet the businessman is willing to endorse the cheque in the actor's name and leave it in the care of The Saturday Daily Telegraph, to be settled after the game. It is believed Crowe will be at tonight's game but was unavailable for comment.

His agent Wendy Day is in Russia, as is his personal assistant.

Crowe's bodyguard Mark Carroll, a former South Sydney player, was unsure Crowe was even in Australia.

Advertisement:
"I don't know where he is," Carroll said. "He is not answering his phone."

Crowe angered the Roosters with the comments he made after last week's win over Canberra, which left the Rabbitohs just three points behind the Roosters on the ladder and, according to Crowe, a chance of catching them before the season ends.

Further attempts will be made before tonight's game to see if Crowe will accept the bet.

The Daily Telegraph

---------

Where are yoooooooouuuuuuu Russy baby ?

Hurriflatch

Referee
A rich Business man who supports the Roosters

HAs this bloke and Nick Poltis ever been seen in the same room together??

Razor

Coach
If Crowe takes the bet he's a moron. If he put $250k on at a betting agency he'll win $375k, and if this bloke put his $250k on the Roosters at a betting agency he'll only win $120k. So this bloke doesn't care about what he's talking about, he just wants the better odds and hopes Crowe is stupid enough to accept lesser odds. If the guy was serious about what he's saying he'd agree to the same odds as the TAB.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Razor said:
If Crowe takes the bet he's a moron. If he put $250k on at a betting he'll win $375k, and if this bloke put his $250k on the Roosters at a betting agency he'll only win $120k. So this bloke doesn't care about what he's talking about, he just wants the better odds and hopes Crowe is stupid enough to accept lesser odds. If the guy was serious about what he's saying he'd agree to the same odds as the TAB.

ahh but you forget one important thing
its much more satasfying winning money from an arrogent bastard then a faceless company. If i were Crowe id take it up no doubt

Cletus

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
ahh but you forget one important thing
its much more satasfying winning money from an arrogent bastard then a faceless company. If i were Crowe id take it up no doubt
Yeah, but it's so much more satisfying to take the gut to the cleaners, why would you take the guy at evens when you can get $2.60? I'm sure Russell would take 3/1, whyy doesn't he offer that?

aussies1st

Staff member
Crowe doesn't need the money he already has boat loads of it. 250k is play money to him. Its all about pride. If he declines then the businessman will call him a pussy.

Copa

Bench
The loser of the bet (if Russ takes up the offer) should give the money to a charity.

Razor said:
If Crowe takes the bet he's a moron. If he put $250k on at a betting he'll win $375k, and if this bloke put his $250k on the Roosters at a betting agency he'll only win $120k. So this bloke doesn't care about what he's talking about, he just wants the better odds and hopes Crowe is stupid enough to accept lesser odds. If the guy was serious about what he's saying he'd agree to the same odds as the TAB.

I dont think Crowe would give a flying f**k would he gee's his worth probably like 250million, he probably spend 250k on his weekly expenses!

KevinArnold

Juniors
Crowe would be silly not to take the bet. Quite frankly, Souths are specials. Roosters are wooden spoon material.

aussies1st

Staff member
Crowe will defintiely take the bet. He doesn't look like the kind of guy that rejects a challenge.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
aussies1st said:
Crowe doesn't need the money he already has boat loads of it. 250k is play money to him. Its all about pride. If he declines then the businessman will call him a pussy.

Tell that to Mark Geyer.. I love Mark Carroll's quote "He is not answering his phone." It's probably broken.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Onan the barbarian said:
Yeah, but it's so much more satisfying to take the gut to the cleaners, why would you take the guy at evens when you can get $2.60? I'm sure Russell would take 3/1, whyy doesn't he offer that?

as said, Crowe doesnt need the money, 250k is a flash in the pan for him, what is making the bet worth it is that this bloke has called out Crowe and if this fails he will look like the biggest clown in australia, thats why Crowe will consider it not for money at all

i agree too, if this goes ahead the winner should donate the 250k to charity :)

supermario

Juniors
This seems to be a personal bet between this business man and Bandwagoner crowe.

The guy said he would endorse the cheque to crowe if souths should win and leave it for him with the telegraph. Seems like a straight out $250K bet !

So this isn't a matter of odds, it is a matter of pride and support.

Will Russ back his "Beloved" souths ????

Razor

Coach
supermario said:
So this isn't a matter of odds, it is a matter of pride and support.

No the businessman wants to put $250k on, but is seeing if he can get better odds than the TAB offers

supermario

Juniors
Read the article, he will be leaving a sheque for $250K if souths happen to win.

No mention of odds, which means if souths lose then if Bandwagon russ takes up the offer he will have to leave a cheque for $250K for the business man.

Latest posts