What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Club has won the most minor premierships?

TheDalek079

Bench
With all the excitement surrounding Easts winning another minor premiership, I've been wondering about all time records.

Which club has won the most minor premierships? Easts would have won a few. St George Dragons would have won lots in the 50s/60s, though not competing since 1998 has stopped them winning more. And souffs have won lots of premierships so should have lots of minor premierships too. Who has the most?

Charlie124

First Grade
Until the MP is worth a million dollars or more, nobody gives a shit about it. I'd rather finish second and get the two home finals without the added pressure of expectation that comes along with being MP's

cb4

First Grade
That's a pretty good record tbh...I'd say our GFs made vs GF won looks far worse

66% conversion rate is not bad.

But you know the Rabbits will say that they have less MP and more Premierships so they have 100% conversion and then some.

Hutty1986

Immortal
I wouldnt say theres been much excitement about the rorters winning the MP. Id say no one is that fussed, actually.

GongPanther

Referee
Winning the Minor Premiership has more prestige than winning a Grand Final.

It indicates that your club was the best throughout the 26 rounds.

It should really be renamed "The Major Premiership" and should be recognized more openly.

Then they can promote the finals series and call it the play-offs.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Winning the Minor Premiership has more prestige than winning a Grand Final.

It indicates that your club was the best throughout the 26 rounds.

It should really be renamed "The Major Premiership" and should be recognized more openly.

Then they can promote the finals series and call it the play-offs.

Should remain the minor premiership. Great achievement but i think the finals system truly decides the best team. Pressure games against the other big teams.
The nrl draw is un-even, some teams have played broncos twice this year while other teams have only played the broncos at home for example. Until that is fixed up it'll never be more prestigious than winning a Grand Final, to win a grand final you have to beat the best of the best when it matters the most

Valheru

Coach
Should remain the minor premiership. Great achievement but i think the finals system truly decides the best team. Pressure games against the other big teams.
The nrl draw is un-even, some teams have played broncos twice this year while other teams have only played the broncos at home for example. Until that is fixed up it'll never be more prestigious than winning a Grand Final, to win a grand final you have to beat the best of the best when it matters the most

Excellent point - sharks should be disqualified from making the top 4 on this basis :sarcasm:

roofromoz

First Grade
Penrith's 2 minor premierships (1991 and 2003) have resulted in premierships.

Reading that Wikipedia page, Canberra (1 in 1990) and Brisbane (1992, 1997, 1998 and 2000) also have 100% conversion of minor premiership to premiers.

Latest posts