What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Dragons will Surprise this Year?

hardbaby

Coach
By season end I think the Dragons 17 will possibly look like this:

Starting Side
Boyd
Morris
Cooper
Gasnier
Nightingale
Soward
Hornby
Young
Creagh
Scott
Hunt
Fien
Weyman
Bench
Merrin
Cuthbertson
Greenfield
Prior

I reckon that's a pretty darn good side.
And you could easily swap Cuthbertson for Green.
Stanley could make the bench.
Etc, etc.

But we have a number of players that may don the green and gold: Weyman, Gasnier, Morris, Boyd.
We have two guaranteed kiwis: Fien and Nightingale.
And a few possible SOO players: all the above Aussies + Young, Scott, Creagh.
We will also have injuries.

Looking at our bench and support players, I have a suspicion that to win the comp, a few of these guys are going to have to really turn it on.
We don't have as much depth as last year and the support players will get a lot of game time.

My question is which players?
Who is going to really stand up this year?

I believe that Merrin, Prior and Stanley have little to prove.

So the guys I am plugging for are:
Cuthbertson
Gower
Tagive
King

Any thoughts guys?
Who is the bolter?

_Johnsy

Referee
Tagive for mine, looking at his size & considering his apparent pace. I could see him playing centre/fb/wing or even 2nd row at a pinch. I am expecting big things from him.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
definately think it's this guy..

DileWalkCycle.gif

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I hope Tagive stays fit. The club must have big raps on him after he's been injured for 2 years straight.

I also expect big things from Cuthbertson after being given a second chance

Minh

First Grade
I reckon Cuthbertson under Bennett is better than Cuthbo under Hasler or anyone else for that matter, so I'm expecting big things from him.

hardbaby

Coach
Yeah I remember Cuthbo at the Eagles. Probably the best interchange prop in the game. Weyman, Hunt and Merrin all demand minutes so I am really looking for a prop who can make an impact for maybe 2 rotations of 15 minutes. Cuthbo runs hard, has a surprisingly good step and great ball skills. If he can reach the heights of his Eagles days I reckon this will be a lot better front row than last year. Cross fingers.

Prior was invited to an 'emerging Origin players' camp this week (along with Soward), so that's gotta be positive.

I'm picking both Prior and Hunt to make their rep debut for Country, and maybe for the Blues if things go their way.

Godz Illa

Coach
Have a feeling that Nick Emmett will get more time as a backrower with Jez and Nev gone, and do a great job of it. He's a strong defender with a Nev-like technique, and has a bit of footwork like the J-Bone

st.phil

Bench
Have a feeling that Nick Emmett will get more time as a backrower with Jez and Nev gone, and do a great job of it. He's a strong defender with a Nev-like technique, and has a bit of footwork like the J-Bone

He has hands like nev too :roll:

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I think Prior is an 80 minute player and a bloody good one at that. But so are our starting back rowers. I see Matty as the ideal swing man off the bench between Prop and Back Row - a very valuable asset indeed.

We'll see more out of Merrin this year I'm certain.

Can't believe we still have so much NRL calibre depth. Not stars by any means, but so capable of filling in and doing their job.

My bolter is Cuthbertson. Look what Bennett did with Horse and Nev.

We're going to be hard to toss again this year, but with our demanding schedule at the start of the year including England and 5 of the first 6 away from home, then rep season straight after that, these fringe blokes are going to have to do a job for us. I can't see us as Minor Premiers again this year due to the above factors, plus the fact we are the reigning champs and everyone will lift for us, so fatigue and management of players will be all the more critical.

Luckily we have the best in the business in Hickmans and Campbell.

st.phil

Bench
Too true - Prior would be pushing over 50 first grade caps and is ready for the next level...not just reps but being one of the top forwards in the club. Funnily enough though - I have him coming off the bench. Assuming hunts recovery is 100% - he is likely to get the nod in the front row with weyman...and the backrow looks solid with creagh, scott and young.

I think Prior is an 80 minute player and a bloody good one at that. But so are our starting back rowers. I see Matty as the ideal swing man off the bench between Prop and Back Row - a very valuable asset indeed.

We'll see more out of Merrin this year I'm certain.

Can't believe we still have so much NRL calibre depth. Not stars by any means, but so capable of filling in and doing their job.

My bolter is Cuthbertson. Look what Bennett did with Horse and Nev.

We're going to be hard to toss again this year, but with our demanding schedule at the start of the year including England and 5 of the first 6 away from home, then rep season straight after that, these fringe blokes are going to have to do a job for us. I can't see us as Minor Premiers again this year due to the above factors, plus the fact we are the reigning champs and everyone will lift for us, so fatigue and management of players will be all the more critical.

Luckily we have the best in the business in Hickmans and Campbell.

centralsaint

Juniors
I hope Cameron King has a big year and pushes for a spot. Is Mitch Rein likely to get a run and Bronx Goodwin injuries permitting might get a few games.