What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Eel has made you eat humble pie ?

the_eel

Juniors
Reddy - I was always thought he was average at best and never enjoyed seeing him named in our side. Over the last 12-18 months however he has progressively got better and better and given me a nice serve of humble pie, especially last week against Jennings!!

Also notable mention to Smith. I stamped him never to return to first grade again however he has been going pretty decently of late.

Bigfella

Coach
Ben Smith and Luke Burt for sure.

To a lesser exten Reddy, but the end of the 2006 season in reserves he played a few different positions and showed his versatility. He still has performed above my expectations at times.

To me Burt only ever lived up to his potential in 2007 at fullback. I was a big believer that this year, if he didn;t play 1 he should be at Wenty.

However this season he has been far bette ron the wing than elsewhere. He is probably the smartest player in our team, and up there in the comp. Still a great brokenfield runner, and a brilliant finisher (especially of attacking kicks).

This has been his best year defensively by 1000 lengths. He has saved some great tries. Plus he has played the kick return role far more intelligently; a mixture of linking with Hayne and running himself.

Cayless ahs been much improved too. He still needs to lift for the balance of the season IMO. Obviously injury has stopped the momentum he had about a month ago, so I think he can do it.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
The guy I've been most angry with has been Hauraki and he hasn't turned it around at all. I had high hopes for him and he has been a fair disappointment.

I don't feel like I've been that hard on others.

I haven't been a fan of Lowrie, but thought he was being scapegoated by fans ... now he's going good and is suddenly everybody's favourite "tradesman" footballer.

I think Cayless gets bagged because of his status (and presumably remuneration) within the club. He hasn't changed that much, but we're all happier because we're winning. He's a reliable captain and steadying influence on the team. I bet he ends up out of favour in the eyes of fans again at some point, though.

At times I've probably been more critical of Grothe than most others. Grothe has cut out some of the most frustrating mistakes we were seeing last year (that game against Manly in 2008 almost killed me). I think he's still a little vulnerable in defence, but oppositions either aren't getting the chance to expose him as we're playing so well or are just failing to do so.

Inu has been in one of the deepest form slumps I have ever seen, but he's still one of my favourite players and I was confident he'd turn it around (I was worried that he'd be in different colours before that happened, though).

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gee i could list half the side, Burt,Robbo,Lowrie and Caylo have all improved out of sight and are playing better than anyone could of imagined. Keep it up for 5 more weeks boys :D

eeling_good

Juniors
Lowrie = now turning up to play, tackling and offloads
Mannah = was killing me a real liability when making meters in our own 50. Now i don't have the thought in my head that he'll drop it
Smith = Is still getting there he just needs to hold onto the ball a lil more. So many opportunities foiled by him knocking on when in opposing 20

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Jarryd Hayne - but not on the field - off the field. He's really turned that around. :clap:

EELRAM

Juniors
Sitting at the confession table.

Tood. Been very good for quite a while now.
Benny Smith. IMO , I think he has been in our top 5 players over the last few weeks.

forward pass

Coach
Ben Smith - I felt his whole career was based one very good match he had v Saints. His move to the forwards did not impress me at first but he has really made a go of it and is fitting in nicely. His defence is excellent. Still needs to watch those hands when hitting gaps though Ben!.

I didn't think Reddy was first grade standard after a shocker he had against the rabbits when he played on the wing. Now I dead set love the bloke !!

Cayless - When he realises he is a ball player not a metre eater he is a different player. He has been very good second half of this season.

I wont say Tood. I have defended him from the start even when at times I felt I was the only one !!

forward pass

Coach
I used to put plenty of sh*t on this player. I thought he was average. Luke Burt is a player that has made me eat humble pie. He has now become a Parramatta great. An enigma. Without doubt the smartest winger in the comp. A great finisher and goalkicker. I do not know many wingers that can kick a field goal from nearly anywhere and win a game for you.

Well done Burty!!!

... and how many wingers can kick 40/20's too. When you think about it - Burty has it all!!!

yy_cheng

Coach
I haven't been a fan of Lowrie, but thought he was being scapegoated by fans ... now he's going good and is suddenly everybody's favourite "tradesman" footballer.

Scapegoat, he was CRAP !!! I think the pressure of the next BK tag got to him.

But in all honesty, when Hages left and Daisy was shifted, he probably felt alone and lost like that cousin no one wanted to play with. However, DA must've given him a chat and said, look son, you are still wanted this year. Come join the family and he has been excellent ever since.

I think Cayless gets bagged because of his status (and presumably remuneration) within the club. He hasn't changed that much, but we're all happier because we're winning. He's a reliable captain and steadying influence on the team. I bet he ends up out of favour in the eyes of fans again at some point, though.

He has changed heaps. The fact that he is a ball player now makes all the difference.

Delboy

First Grade
Burt - much more effective on the wing , and has proved valuable
Lowrie - only when he doesn't attempt to pass, still misses too many tackles but much improved
Cayless - from beginning of season to now is a different player, tactics have suited him massively

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
I don't get why people think Burt has improved out of sight on the wing? I mean he has put in some match winning performances from fb too, and DA was right with starting him there; however the team's balance is perfect right now with him on the wing. Burt is one of my fav all time Eels' players so no humble pie here...

However, like most, Lowrie, Robson and Reddy have fortunately proved me wrong.

Kenny Powers

Juniors
The only player that I have always wanted goneskis is Robson. He definitely has a role in this side now and has performed above his natural ability.

Latest posts