What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which of Parramatta's advantages are the most significant?

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think that if Parramatta controls the ruck with some clever second phase they have an advantage in a few areas.

As long as they don't go in with the attitude that they have to grind their way to victory, which they seem to interpret as never pass the ball and play boring inaffectual football.

Of course there's pressure.

In fact, I reckon the focus on this game, and the Cowboys probs with Thurston at the judiciary, is taking pressure OFF Manly. I think they are specials in this premiership, although I hope my eels prove me wrong.

Hagan is handling the finals series brilliantly. The Prelim Final is Parra's speed bump, and under Smith we just ruined it. Even the one we won, v Brisbane in 01, Parra were a nervous shadow of what they were when they smashed the Warriors a fortnight before.

This year, for the first time, I have seen the teeth of Cayless and Tahu - both displayed in full dental glory after our last 2 tries on Saturday. We ae relaxed, a far better frame of mind that if Smith was in charge. I can still remember Mark Tookey's piece he did for the Footy Show during a Parra training run for a semi (98 from memory). He asked Smithy how he felt about Parra's finals chances. Smith looked at him and replied "You had better watch your weight, Mark" Poor Tooks!!!

For Hagan and the club, they won't shed the unwanted failure tag unless they put in against the Storm. If Melbourne flog us, we'd cop it. I don't think they will, though.

Hagan can take the Brian Smith monkey off the back for good on Saturday.

HevyDevy

Coach
Ron Jeremy said:
we have know chance of wining.

Actually Parramatta are one of the few teams equipped to beat the Storm.

Read Matty Elliott's column in tomorrow's Big League, very interesting (the first half is about Thurston).

phonetic

Juniors
Their main advantage is Peter John Marsh's ability to act like a total grub every game he plays in, and never get penalised for it.

But then, they're playing the Storm, so that advantage will surely be nullified.

The Tank

Bench
If Parramatta are feeling no pressure ahead of a Grand Final qualifier they may as well not turn up.

Charlie124

First Grade
Of course there is pressure on both teams but there is far more on the storm to right the wrongs of last year and the added pressure to prove that they aren't chokers, The eels aren't expected to win so that eases their minds a little and i think they'll be the more relaxed (yet focused) of the teams.

I think the eels most definitely can win, but it'll take a big effort

Maori-Boy

Juniors
Head to head player ratings

1 Jarryd Hayne-Billy Slater-------Draw
2 Krisnan Inu-Steve Turner-------Inu
3 Joel Reddy-Matt King--------King
4 Timana Tahu-Israel Folau-----Draw
5 Eric Grothe-Anthony Quinn------Grothe
6 Brett Finch-Greg Inglis------Inglis
7 Tim Smith-Cooper Cronk------Cronk
8 Nathan Cayless-Ben Cross------Draw
9 Mark Riddell-Cameron Smith------Smith
10 Fuifui Moimoi-Brett White------Moimoi
11 Nathan Hindmarsh-Clint Newton-----Hindmarsh
12 Ian Hindmarsh-Ryan Hoffman------Hoffman
13 Feleti Mateo-Dallas Johnson------Draw

Melb 5 to Parra's 4 and 4 draws. I also feel Melb has the better bench and coach

Eels Dude

Coach
Melbourne may be calm and cool, but deep down the coach and senior players must be thinking there's no excuses for failing this year. Parra are the underdogs with nothing to lose, obviously they're going to be feeling pressure given it's such an important game... however at the same they know they're not expected to win, gvie it their all, but if they're beaten by the best club in the league so be it.

Stormboyz

Juniors
Eels Dude said:
Melbourne may be calm and cool, but deep down the coach and senior players must be thinking there's no excuses for failing this year. Parra are the underdogs with nothing to lose, obviously they're going to be feeling pressure given it's such an important game... however at the same they know they're not expected to win, gvie it their all, but if they're beaten by the best club in the league so be it.
Winner on Sunday wins the premiership.
But I do agree with you in essence, but there might be another twist that nobody can be bothered looking at.
Storm have more pressure on because they have elected to put the pressure on themselves after last year's disappointment. has anyone thought that's exactly they want it? Us against them mentality. Bellamy thrives on it and it's rubbed off onto the players. It's happened all year. Broncos tried to unsettle us and it failed dismally. In my opinion, it's all playing into our own hands. I get the feeling the Storm welcome the pressure, but I maintain the only pressure they are feeling is from within, not from north of the Murray.
Should be a great game. Parra can win, make no mistake.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ice777 said:
I laugh when people say that Parra will be under no pressure or feel no pressure. They may not be favorites but they know very well they can win this game and anything less than a win they will see as a failure. If they didn't genuinely think they couldn't win not only this game but also the comp then maybe they wouldn't feel the pressure. But they're right in this up to their eyballs with every chance of winning it.

Maybe their fans like to tell themselves they won't be feeling it but i've got no doubt in the world they will be just as every other player in the other 3 sides will. They're playing off for a spot in the GF for christ's sake and people think they won't feel pressure? Mmmkay :sarcasm:

I agree with part of your comment - we realise we can win this, so we will feel the pressure.

However, with the emergence of so many rookies this season, I feel (and I reckon Hages does, too) that we've done very well thus far this season, and regardless of the result on Sunday, everyone involved with Parramatta should be proud.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Actually...I want to rectify my comments somewhat.

I feel, just personally, that guys like Nathan Hindmarsh, Ian Hindmarsh, Nathan Cayless, Timana Tahu, PJ Marsh, Mark Riddell, Chad Robinson, Daniel Wagon and Tim Smith will all feel pressure. Some of them played in a losing Grand Final side; some of them played in the 2005 Grand Final Qualifier; some were part of a Premiership-winning side but didn't play in the Grand Final; and some are leaving rugby league at year's end.

For those reasons, I feel the Eels will have quite a bit of pressure on them to perform. No doubt the senior Eels will want to exorcise the demons of 2001 and 2005 (obviously, beating Melbourne is just step one; you then need to actually beat Manly/North Queensland to completely redeem yourself), and they will also want to send Ian and Timana out as winners.

Everyone says we can't win. No chance. But I say anything is possible...

Ice777

Bench
Eels Dude said:
Parra are the underdogs with nothing to lose, obviously they're going to be feeling pressure given it's such an important game...

Nothing to lose? You call a spot in the GF nothing to lose? I couldn't give a toss what any of the "experts" say, if Parramatta show up with their A game on Sunday they're as much a chance of beating the Storm as anyone and i don't think we're over the line by a long shot.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Originally Posted by Eelementary
Actually...I want to rectify my comments somewhat.

I feel, just personally, that guys like Nathan Hindmarsh, Ian Hindmarsh, Nathan Cayless, Timana Tahu, PJ Marsh, Mark Riddell, Chad Robinson, Daniel Wagon and Tim Smith will all feel pressure. Some of them played in a losing Grand Final side; some of them played in the 2005 Grand Final Qualifier; some were part of a Premiership-winning side but didn't play in the Grand Final; and some are leaving rugby league at year's end.

For those reasons, I feel the Eels will have quite a bit of pressure on them to perform. No doubt the senior Eels will want to exorcise the demons of 2001 and 2005 (obviously, beating Melbourne is just step one; you then need to actually beat Manly/North Queensland to completely redeem yourself), and they will also want to send Ian and Timana out as winners.

Everyone says we can't win. No chance. But I say anything is possible...

Why Tim Smith he's only 22 and has a long career ahead of him, he'd be feeling pressure but nothing like the others you mentioned.

Eelementary

Post Whore
WTF? said:
Why Tim Smith he's only 22 and has a long career ahead of him, he'd be feeling pressure but nothing like the others you mentioned.

You know what Timmy's like - he was part of the 2005 GFQ side, and he probably feels he didn't perform at his peak. He has a shot at redemption Sunday.