What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which players put back into the game?

In the last 10-15 years Rugby league has made a lot of men rich. So what are some examples of players putting back into the game?
I know Anthony Mundine sponsors junior RL, the Hindmarsh bros sponsor a cup in the southern highlands and David Peachey and Russell Richardson sponsor a cup in Dubbo.
Who else puts back into the grassroots of the game?

innsaneink

Referee
Sirro is coaching 13/14's in the Balmain DJRL

Ben Elias sponsors a shield/mini comp gala day in Balmain Jnrs

Hoppa was doing something in Manly DJRL

lockyno1

Post Whore
Widders would be my no1, and he is a really nice bloke as well. I have the upmost respect for him.

miccle

Bench
Shane Webcke puts a LOT of money into a couple of junior RL clubs here in north Brisbane. I believe it was Channel Ten who ran a story on his contributions a couple of months ago, and he refused to have any part of it, saying that he just wanted to put back into the game and not bignote himself about it.

It's to be expected from a guy like Webcke, and I hope more players also get involved.

parra pete

Referee
Big Mal gives a lot of his time, freely, for the promotion of Rugby League.
Big Mal = A great gentleman and an ornament to the game.

Moffo

Referee
Dean Widders was at the footy today with his kid

top effort from the bloke

BD5733

Juniors
Alot of these junior competitions, eg The Rod Wishart Cup, The Hindmarsh Cup, etc aren't exactly 'sponsored' by the players.

Most of the time all the players are required to do is make an appearance at the day, and hand out the trophy to the winning team.

Some players get plenty of publicity when they give back to the community, while others can give three times as much back and no one hears anything about it.

I remember hearing Phil Bailey gave well over half his wages to various foundations, etc.

Fibroman

First Grade
cainen said:
MG coaches his kid's league team if that counts.

MG also gives up a heap of his time to help with charities. He is organising a charity golf day as we speak.

Utey

Coach
Widders, easily the most grateful man for what RL has given him and does his best to pay it back.

Bumble

First Grade
parra pete said:

Tounge in cheek, surely?

sharkadelic

Juniors
Jason Stevens gave nearly half of his entire earnings to charity. (not sure if this was pre or post tax)

Matthew Johns let that one out of the bag.

nqcowboy87

Bench
Quote:
Originally Posted by parra pete

Tounge in cheek, surely?
surelhy you havent heard of the work he has done in png