What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which players to release???

Cagey Mac

Bench
irrespective of needing to release players to make room on the salary cap i would seriously think:

- prior needs to have a huge season, otherwise he should be gone
- dan hunt likewise, needs to have a huge season
- nathan Fien may retire before the end of the 2 year contract, he seems to have lost the spark needed
- Hornby may retire at the end of 2012
- dean young may be forced to retire - his knee is getting worse each season

I think that good seasons but not huge are required from Prior and Hunt and there's no reason to believe that they can't achieve this with a little additinal discipline
IMO Merrin is a likely starting prop for 2012 over Hunt let alone 2013
Deano’s knee will be lucky to make two seasons I agree
I like the prospect of Sowie at half and Stanley at 5/8 in 2013
Boyd and Gaz are gone, so big bucks there and Cuthbertson, Green, Tagive and others replaced by fringe players so no impact on the cap there either

IMO, It’s really a matter of if the Stewarts want to come back to the Illawarra
Canterbury may be in the bidding too
A possible team for 2013 IMO
B Stewart
B Moz
C Stanley
M. Cooper (last season)
J Nightingale
Stanley
Soward
Merrin
King
Weyman
G Stewart
Creagh
Scott

Rein
Hunt
Vidot (utility back rower)
Prior

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Fein, Young, Hornby and Coops have a cople of years left till retirement. I am sure they can sign these guys on slightly lower wages for the first year and once the 4 above retire in the following backend their contracts.

Load of crap the article is a load of shit the only reason these two wanks have even been mentioned as a possible thing is their parents live in Wollongong.

They have both stated they don't like the area they bagged off their own junior club and to even make the notion the club should off load players is pathetic.

We aren't the Bulldogs we are not a transit lounge club and you won't see either at the Dragons there is more a chance with Maloney.

Father Ted

First Grade
A possible team for 2013 IMO
B Stewart
B Moz
C Stanley
M. Cooper (last season)
J Nightingale
Stanley
Soward
Merrin
King
Weyman
G Stewart
Creagh
Scott

Rein
Hunt
Vidot (utility back rower)
Prior

No spot for DeBelin in 2013 Cagey?

TheRev

Coach
We actually bought quite a lot of average'ish quality players for 2012, but they will add up... but since were talking about 2013 anyway, there is plenty of room to push the numbers around... definitely Prior, Weyman, Hunt & Fein have got to turn something around in 2012 to retain their spots, and Young is a year by year proposition with his knees..

But id reckon guys like Young & Hornby would play for considerably less than they could get at another club, rather than retire, at least i think..

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
None. Front load contracts with the whopping amount of spare cap space we have.

Then go and buy whoever comes on to the market next year that we need.

I'm not as fickle as you lot seem to be. I'm willing to give Price and the boys a chance before offing anyone.

Father Ted

First Grade
I honestly don't know padre. I think that Vidot is a potential monster but it may not work out that way. You could bracket De Belin with Prior and Vidot I suppose.

I think DeBelin will pass Prior by 2013 But thats just opinion . You really rate Vidot don't you I can't really say I've watched him play much so I'm looking forward to seeing him in the V if he's half the player you describe then it's good times at Kogarah again . Btw Getting the impression you see him as a forward down the track is that correct?

possm

Coach
1. B Stewart
2. B Morris
3. C Stanley / Vidot
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. K Stanley
7. Soward
8. Weyman
9. King
10. Hunt
11. Creagh
12. S Stewart
13. Scott

14. Merrin
15. Fien / Rein / Young
16. Miller
17. De Belin

Minh

First Grade
1. B Stewart
2. B Morris
3. C Stanley / Vidot
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. K Stanley
7. Soward
8. Weyman
9. King
10. Hunt
11. Creagh
12. S Stewart
13. Scott

14. Merrin
15. Fien / Rein / Young
16. Miller
17. De Belin

Hornby?

Dragons01

First Grade
Load of crap the article is a load of shit the only reason these two wanks have even been mentioned as a possible thing is their parents live in Wollongong.

They have both stated they don't like the area they bagged off their own junior club and to even make the notion the club should off load players is pathetic.

We aren't the Bulldogs we are not a transit lounge club and you won't see either at the Dragons there is more a chance with Maloney.

Take a bow coast_dragons - as supporters we scream and carry on like pork chops when a player that we like leaves the club, it's all about loyalty and what a dog that player is for leaving Saints almost a 'how dare you'. But we are just as quick to shaft loyal club men every single time a player with a bit of a profile comes on the market.

That is one thing about Saints that I like to think makes us a bit different to a club like the Dogs or even Souths. Morris, Cooper, Nightingale, Hornby, Creagh, Hunt, Young the list goes on of local juniors that Saints have pulled up through the ranks and turned into not only premiership winning players but rep players as well.

As has been proven time and time again with clubs like the Dogs and Roosters you can buy all the talent you want but will not necessarily make you a premiership winning team.

Bring back choc

Juniors
How many comps have we won in the last 30 years?

Hmm that's right. I admire you patriotic stance towards saints, and I agree the players you mentioned are fantastic endorsements for the junior system.

But let's be brutally honest. It took an outside coach (no affiliation with the club) and some external purchases in key positions that we have lacked to win us a comp.

Again, I'm not saying juniors aren't important... But the balance is far more important.
It's a results driven business. Not the mates for mates crap it has been for so long.

saints4ever

First Grade
If this is true it would probably be Young (off contract- may retire), Fien (probably lose his spot to King/Rein) and possibly one more. Hmm I'm thinking it might cost us Brett Morris (off contract) but I hope not.

If we lose moz for anyone let alone one of the inbred Stewarts ill be royally pissed.