What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which QRL team would work in the NRL

Big Tommy

Juniors
Good points Oxenham. I've often thought there is much to be learned for the QRL and NRL/Brisbane side(s) from the SANFL.

Just as a separate example - look how the SANFL have set up their homepage and have all the clubs, and all the history and importantly, the future direction of that competition hanging off it. Really good stuff.

www.sanfl.com.au

mud n blood

Juniors
Adelaide and the SANFL are a good comparison to Brisbane for a number of reasons.

A mate wrote a good paper on the crowds situation at BRL/QRL games since 1988 using the SANFL as the benchmark. It's a great read, and since, he and I have used it for a number of seminars.

I'll give him a call and see if he reckons it's okay for public consumption here.

re: PA .... a two-horse town don't you mean ?

That SANFL fans situation is interesting though, in that the majority do indeed follow the crows. You've also got to remember that the original Port Magpies had that many members anyway. (Even they have won more premierships than Valleys .... 33 from memory !) :shock:

I've even suggested that the QRL headhunt one of the senior guys from the SANFL for a development, promotional and marketing role up here. Alternately, perhaps someone from the NBL or even NBA, as they are always a secondary yet surviving national sport. (Leave out soccer Australia at this stage .... :roll: )

I have one major question though - if you think the local league is struggling now, how will you plug the gap if Redcliffe left ? I guess it could be looked at that they would still field sides locally, but unlikely.

DIEHARD

----
So what do you suggest as a Brisbane entry to the NRL? An entirely new outfit? All I want is Queensland RL tradition to be represented. I want what we deserve.

mud n blood

Juniors
I feel it has to be a new entity. The Crushers was the way to go, but the management and structure must not be the failure it was allowed to be 1st time around. Secondly, all clubs must be affiliated to it and not Sydney clubs. Therefore there must be a forum - separate to the actual team sommittee - for all clubs to have some equal say on the important issues.

It must not disenfranchise any aspect of the game or fans in Brisbane, either.

Yes - tradition must be represented, not to mention preserved. Even the little things like the logo, must incorporate colours or logos of all teams, perhaps even the poinsettia as well.

oxenham

Juniors
Mud
By one horse town I meant Rules is by far the dominant code and has greater access to the corporate dollar.

The crows are a great example of how co-operation with the local competition has benefits for both.The horse is too busy looking to America for innovation instead of studying a great example on their own door step.
How many clubs have they been at now...they will be able to start their own competition :shock:
Rules has some good ideas and administration where the NRL seems to be inward looking with the stakeholders(predominanty the Sydney clubs) too selfish to give considered decisions that benefit AUSTRALIAN rugby league.

Pesonally I think a second Brisbane side needs to be based predominantly in Brisbane with the blessing of the local comp.Bring on Brisbane united :roll: The crushers should have worked and would have still been there if they had taken the super league dollars :shock:

ash the bash

Juniors
Qld Cup Predictions
Tue Mar 09, 7:38am (QLD)
Written by: Matthew Lyne
The Queensland Cup kicks on March 13 and it’s shaping up to be one of the best competitions on record.

Back-to-back premiers Redcliffe will start favourites again (having virtually retained the same team as last year) but there are several teams out there gunning to hold that trophy up in September. Burleigh & Wynnum look likely to be the teams capable of knocking the Dolphins off their pedestal having brought well in the off season. However, do not discount Norths, Toowoomba or Easts who will be out to improve on the disappointments of 2003.

North Qld are there in with a chance provided they don’t have too many interruptions to their team while Trevor Gillmeister’s Ipswich Jets will be out to make the finals for the third season in a row and try to win the club’s first ever 1st grade trophy.

Tweed Heads enter their second year in the competition and it will be interesting to see if they can repeat the efforts of 2003. A loss of some key players will suggest that will be a difficult task.

Traditional competition stragglers Central & Souths Logan will try to lift themselves off the bottom while debutantes Brothers-Valleys face a difficult season first up. The team was last to prepare for the competition and look to be favourites to finish last. However, the new boys could spring a few surprises and there will be much interest in how they will fare in their inaugural year.

For the record, here’s how I feel the teams will finish:

1. Burleigh Bears
2. Wynnum Seagulls
3. Redcliffe Dolphins
4. Toowoomba Clydesdales
5. North Qld Young Guns

6. Norths Devils
7. Ipswich Jets
8. Easts Tigers
9. Souths Logan Magpies
10. Tweed Heads Seagulls
11. Central Comets
12. Brothers-Valleys

Instead of starting a new thread i though i would post this here,
what do you guys reckon an accurate prediction, i only just recently have started to follow the QRL (will be from this year onwards) even though iam from Nsw.

Earlier someone mentioned something about CQ comets, i have a mate that lives about an hour south in emmu plains and i asked him and he said that it would no way work in the Nrl. rocky's population is about 64,000 no where near something that could sustaine league, although he said there are some very good juniors coming throw,
If i were to pick one for the NRL i think it would have to be one of the teams from around The brisbane area,,
The phins should get rid of the roosters :lol:

Latest posts