What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which QRL team would work in the NRL

ash the bash

Juniors
My tip is redcliffe,
firstly i think they have a farily large fan base, they have a good brand name in the dolphin's which is quite well known as well, there home ground is nice (alot like a few suburban grounds in sydney), if they came into the NRL they could rebuild one of the hills so it is a covered grandstand and by estimates make the capacity about 20k to 22k, they then could move the big derby against the broncs to lang park,

the above statment works if they dump the roosters and a few imaginary thoughts, iam just curious on how the other teams could fair with fan bases ,, grounds etc.. i don't want this into another CC vs GC debate\\

mud n blood

Juniors
no chance. no clubs here have the infrastructure to support it.

Besides, we have "clubs" here. You couldn't call anyone in the Sydney comp a club.

ash the bash

Juniors
Firstly i said Just imagine :roll:
secondly why can't they be i mean they all have leagues clubs for backing etc...

XXXX Cap

Juniors
No club is going to risk all they have built up through many years of chook raffles and hard work just to play in a Sydney-based comp.

The NRL isn't the ultimate for everyone. Being the best in the Queensland Cup is a pretty impressive record to hold.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Redcliffe have millions in the bank, and there's enough corporate and fanbase support for them to get an NRL spot - but it would be well behind GC, Perth and CC.

Sgt Schultz

Juniors
Would Redcliffe like to play in the NRL .
I guess they would but the 7 to 9 million a year to run a football club is a big stumbling block. Plus the few million they'd need to upgrade Dolphin Oval.

I know the Redcliffe Football Club do not have millions in the Bank and the Leagues Club wouldn't tip in much more than are now. The Leagues Club would not risk what they have worked hard to build up.

I'm not sure about Corporate Support up here there are the Broncos, Reds, Lions, Bullets, Bulls and Strikers all competing for the Corporate Support to be competitive in National Competitions. I'm not sure how many of those clubs have made big profits in recent years.

I can not seeing it change too much in the near future unless a multi millionare comes on board and is prepared to lose a million or two in the first few years and a National or Multi National Company coming on board.

Until that happens I think they will be content playing in the Qld Cup and trying to be successful in that. The Qld Cup comp just keeps getting better and better and the successful clubs really have to work hard to be successful.

DIEHARD

----
One day the mighty Dolphins will take their rightful and glorious position in the NRL. Going head to head with the Broncos, Cowboys and Gold Coast in mouth watering, blood thirsty on field and off field battles.

There are lots of money around. For sponsors. You got XXXX, Suncorp, BoQ, UniTAB, Virgin Blue (Brisbane HQ), Golden Circle but most importantly they should rely on fan sponsorship through AFL like membership schemes.

Play them out of Dolphin oval and Lang Park. Make em take over the still operating Crushers Leagues club at Kedron so they have a Brisbane base as well, but their HQ will always be Redcliffe.

Their jersey would be predominately red, there is no red NRL team, alternate jerseys excluded. And North Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast and northern Shires have been neglected for too long. Make the mighty dolphins proudly represent Redcliffe, Brisbane's northside, Caboolture and Pine Rivers shire and the Sunshine Coast. (In a major newspaper in the sunshine coast, afl was recently named as the most popular sport)

Most importantly Brisbane deserves more than one team, owned by news ltd and as selfish as the Broncos. There are countless RL out there that loathe the Broncos and have no vehicle for their passion in the NRL. We need to give these people, who many have thrown their support behind the Reds or Lions in the absence of a Broncos RL alternative. Im one of them, but screwed if I wouldnt support RL! Im forced to make teams like the Bunnies and Cowboys my teams.

Brisbane deserves more than 1 team and QLD deserves more than 2 (3 soon).

I believe northern brisbane and the sunshine coast needs to be represented. And with The Gold Coast representing lower Queensland, Brisbane Broncos representing the southside and Brisbane city overlapping Dolphins territory on the northside moving up to the Caboolture and Pine Rivers shires across to the home of the Dolphins Redcliffe city and moving all the way up the Queensland coast line, the glorious Sunshine Coast all the way up to Noosa and beyond.

The Dolphins must be in the NRL one day. Don't listen to Mud, he is a backward, narrow minded, old smelly fool. He will be negective no matter what you say.

mud n blood

Juniors
*sniff* .... *cry* .... thats just beautiful Mr Diehard. *snivel* ....

I'm convinced ..... I'm in ! I'll buy my season membership and lifetime seat asap :roll:

Can't wait to don the KFC State League Reddy jersey .... proudly .... passionately .... f**k the second rate park football Qld Cup. :?

By the way .... I'm not old ....

Whats negective ?

DIEHARD

----
Don't get me wrong Mudd, I love you mate. I love any RL fan.

I admit a KFC jersey would be shocking. I'd hope Pepsi would upgrade its contract or maybe Coca Cola would make a perfect sponsor considering the Redcliffe colours.

I'd be deeply concerned if this, much like the Broncos introduction helped to decimate the QRL competition I love so much. A delicate balance must be worked, but priority on whatever is best for the Rugby League.

I want to see QRL grand finals at Lang Park and weekly matches of the round there, or double headers. Whatever makes it more viable. I also understand the costs of using Lang Park are apparently staggering, but lets not let that get in the way of a good dream. I think logically its better it being used then it sitting there collecting dust between its games every fortnight.

I'd like to see:

Fortnightly Broncos games
Monthly Dolphins games
Monthly Dolphins games at an upgraded Dolphin Oval
Match of the rounds or something for the QRL at Lang Park
The QLD CUP grand final back where it belongs at Lang Park!

GO BROTHERS-VALLEYS!!!!!!

mud n blood

Juniors
The only people who would support Redcliffe in the NRL, are redcliffe fans. Other than that, there are the general RL fans with no real team following. They'd get less than the Crushers ever pulled to games.

Pipe dreams .... I'm sure you could look around up here and country NSW and get about 6 or 8 as financial as them, as well.

Secondly, not one cent of revenue from a Redcliffe venture would find its way back into local league. Imagine the hole left up here then ....

Sarge is right - you need the infrastructure surrounding a 7-10 mill per year venture to survive. I don't believe Redcliffe have that anyway, even including the Sunshine Coast.

DIEHARD

----
It's total and complete bullshit the Dolphins would get less supporters than the Crushers! You totally underestimate the appeal of a rugby league club in Brisbane that is not the Broncos. Very sad you have so little faith in your code Mud!

mud n blood

Juniors
I don't lack any faith in the code at all. I'm just a realist.

Are you telling me that all those people at Easts, Wynnum and Norths etc, that totally hate the Dolphins, are going to now say "excellent, we love Reddy now they're in the Sydney comp", and spend all their money to watch Redcliffe play ? I can tell you that this topic has been bandied around a few clubs during the last 3-4 years, and not one person ever said they'd support them. Why would they ?

You have to be kidding !

Many of them won't even go to the local grand final because it's at Redcliffe. I'd probably go to a couple of games - MAX ! - only because I knock around with 6 or 8 Redcliffe fans. No way I'd be there 12 times to see them, or buying anything with Redcliffe on it. A big attraction of local footy is 3 games for $7 and still a few bucks to have a feed or a beer.

Hey - I'm all for a second side in Brisbane, but not one that is currently a local club. The Crushers were the solution, but were run by the wrong people. And all profits from the venture should go straight back into local football. I'm not going to detail the plan I've put together here now. But suffice to say there is room for a new entity in Brisbane, with all Brisbane-based clubs affiliated to it rather than Sydney clubs.

I can see it now - Tommy, XXXX and me all decked out in Dolphins gear, squeaky dolphin in one hand, 'Red and white - dynamite' flag in the other, perhaps even with a newfound Scottish accent :lol: , spending $50 each a fortnight to watch Redcliffe play in the Sydney comp, and go "naaaaaah - f**k the B-V vs Wynnum game .... thats only local park footy sh!t" ....... :lol:

:roll:

bender

Juniors
In answer to the original Question:

I think that Brothers Valleys (whether merged or separate entities) and Wests would both go well in the Sydney league. All 3 are traditional sides, would get huge corporate support as the second brisbane side and would generally be stronger and have a better chance of winning within a few years the NRL than they do the Qld Cup. It wont happen obviously, but those three sides could easily compete in the NRL. They wouldnt have leagues clubs to support them but could definetely find the support quickly to get a team.

OF the others,

Redcliffe, Easts, and Wynnum are all top class sides who could (if they were the second brisbane team) become successful sides but would struggle a little because of their success from recent years. and the strong supporter hate which exists for them at the moment. I still think that each could work though, if they were the second brisbane side as brisbane is crying out for a second side.

Gold Coast Burleigh and Tweed:- Well, Burleigh is the better bet, but both would work as the Gold Coast is crying out for a team and there is ample sponsorship and support for the clubs, and they would ride off all of the work done by the Gold Coast Consortium and be very successful from day one provided they were the only Gold Coast side.

Toowoomba, Norths, North Queensland - Well they already are NRL sides so I think they could play in the NRL.

Unless I have miscalculated that leaves just Central Queensland who are an interesting question. I am not sure whether Central Queensland would have the corporate support or the population base to support a NRL team. Still they used to say that about the cowboys. It certainly would be interesting.

Actually, i just remembered Souths Logan. I dont think they could handle the NRL as they can barely compete in the Qld cup as it is. Still, I would like to see a Souths Magpies side coached by Mal Meninga and Gary Belcher.

So, IN all seriousness and despite the fact that it will never happen, I think every Qld cup side could compete and survive in the NRL and many of those clubs would find it far easier than the Qld Cup with far less pit holes and obstacles.

Big Tommy

Juniors
:lol: :lol: :lol: I used to support the sharks in those marine documentaries when certain species used to attack Dolphins because I thought all dolphins were connected to Redcliffe RLFC. Mind you I was about 5 at the time and Bunny Pearce did just kick 4 from 10 or something in an interstate game and we lost by a handful of points.

I had new respect for Bunny though when Dauthy missed about a hundred kicks at goal in another interstate match a few years later and we again lost by a handful. "Ian Dauth - pointscoring machine"

I was prepared to support the Crushers and attended their first game in 95 but there recruitment and administration left much to be desired.

Yes, I would support an NRL club with affiliation to all Qld Cup teams. But I'd need to be convinced. The Dragons have actually been very generous to BV at this stage in our development and that deserves a good degree of support from BV people.

ash the bash

Juniors
Iam sure Redcliffe would work out,
I know for a fact lots of people follow the broncos becasue there is no other team, just see if a team did come im sure it would rally alot of support ;-)
imagine the big derby's at lang park :D

zulu

Juniors
[quote="Big TommyI was prepared to support the Crushers and attended their first game in 95 but there recruitment and administration left much to be desired.
[/quote]

Super League didn't help much either. The whole thing was a shambles which was a shame because the potential was definitely there. I still remember the buzz when the Broncos played the Crushers in the local derby at Lang Park. We need that back.

Sydney Carton

Juniors
mud n blood said:
The only people who would support Redcliffe in the NRL, are redcliffe fans. Other than that, there are the general RL fans with no real team following. They'd get less than the Crushers ever pulled to games.

Got to get it through your suspiciously orange-like hair that we are the big minority muddy. The average league fan these days doesn't give a f*ck who redcliffe and easts are but follows the nrl, with a passing interest in the "old" brisbane comp. :roll:

Seriously do you reckon the new gold coast franchise is worried that the 400 who turn up to Tweed games might not get on board and go to their games?

I can see your point though....but reckon it might dissuade about 1% of the total rugby league followers in brisbane.

Would I get behind Wests or gulp Easts :-& if they became the 2nd brisbane team? You betcha I would but Dolphins all the way in the Qld Cup!

DIEHARD

----
I too would get behind any promoted QRL club reguardless of my club loyalties. I got a bigger loyalty to Brisbane and Queensland.

oxenham

Juniors
Redcliffe has the best credentials for an NRL application but would be too smart to even contemplate a move.There was a reasonable reddy element in the crushers albeit at arms length and a crushers set up was thye way to go( I cannot beleive they employed a paper maker to manage the club....obviously knew about paper...but footballers :?: ) We have discussed this before and the major sticking points are:
Tribalism(ie a lot of people don"t like redclliffe...shock horror)
Reddy have their hands full fighting attacks from new codes
Reddy would be comfortable in their present QC dominant role
The ground ....will Lang Park work...don't think so :!:
The only close example....which people should be analysing before commenting on fairy tales....is Port Adelaide.I can talk on why PA is successfull......suffice to say 30000 members in the football club(not leagues club)in a one horse town....and by the way the supporters of the oter seven or so original clubs support the crows to a magpie :D