What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Sydney sports radio show will be getting the flick?

Parra

Referee
They should not have exclusive rights. Open up the radio rights and no-one cares how inane 2GB are.

There is no valid reason for the radio rights to be tied to 2GB and MMM. It is certainly not for commercial reasons. They don't even bother calling all the games.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Completely agree the rights should not be exclusive.

Rexxy

Coach
"2UE has been ordered by management to lift the talk radio station from its worsening ratings mire."

LINK

Last edited:

proto

Juniors
I wish it was the continuous call team. Sadly there is no justice in this world. I hope it isn't 2SM or 2UE because they actually talk about rugby league.

Personally I don't think the BSB has been as good since Richard Freedman was replaced with Michael Slater. I actually prefer Greg Hayes and Jimmy Smith during the summer compared to the regular show now.

yeh def. Jimmy is cool, i try to catch him on Sundays when im not hungover as all hell lol

SEAT 1A

Bench
Never miss Sports Today. Main discussion footy in winter, cricket in summer with a good splash of other sports in between. Anough laughs without going overboard.

roosterboy60

Juniors
The above about Mcgill is true. However, if it's going to be any show I think it'd probably be Sports Today. They've recently signed Paul Murray from MMM and there a lot of rumors going around at the moment about there schedule for next year. Though I doubt they would get rid of it completely.

Brutus

Referee
I wouldn't be surprised if they moved Sports Today to a weekend show. Maybe 12-2pm. They've done this before.

The more I read, the more it looks as though ST is set for the chop, but I hope I'm wrong.

I hope it is not Sports Today but I fear it is.

I has been a great show for many years, particularly in the days of Peter Bosly. They would break a lot of stories and hearing interviews from players and coaches on the way home was great.

But if 2UE dump it, I don't blame them. The NRL hasn't supported the station since going to exclusive radio rights so why continue to give the league publicity when the exclusive rights holder has no sports show during the week?

Brutus

Referee
I hope it is not Sports Today but I fear it is.

I has been a great show for many years, particularly in the days of Peter Bosly. They would break a lot of stories and hearing interviews from players and coaches on the way home was great.

But if 2UE dump it, I don't blame them. The NRL hasn't supported the station since going to exclusive radio rights so why continue to give the league publicity when the exclusive rights holder has no sports show during the week?

Great point.

The exclusive rights holder also dumped their Sunday night sports show which was the best thing on the station.

The expected new format at 2UE will kill that station's links with RL off for good.

roosterboy60

Juniors
To be fair(ish) to 2GB - I think the two reasons they got rid of the Sunday Night Show was because Andrew Moore had, had enough of doing it and has moved onto bigger things at the station and I think they got rid of it around this time last year when they were starting a five hour "sports show" launching on a weekend.

And I do fear if it's any station it is 2UE. They announced yesterday that the breakfast show is ending, they've signed Paul Murray to 2UE and there are rumours of a few other shakeups so it would fit in if it was Sports Today. I hope it's not though.

Tiger_Tim

Juniors
Yep, reports seem to suggest its Sports Today...but that Brandy and Gibbs will remain with the station...maybe a weekend show?

Rexxy

Coach
Yep, reports seem to suggest its Sports Today...but that Brandy and Gibbs will remain with the station...maybe a weekend show?

reading sports news in breakfast and drive? thats my tip.

. last year was all about saving money at the fairfax owned station. next year it will be all about ratings, as they look to groom themselves as a moderate, 35-55 year old alternative to the neo Fascists at 2GB. if you know anyone who listens to 2gb outside of the league call, do them a favour and put a nail gun to their skull and fire it off until they are dead. I have never listen to Chris Smith without coming away feeling somehow dumber.

Last edited:

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
dont listen to radio anymore but think it's a pity 'moderates' like John Stanley and Mike Carlton are or will be no longer on radio. Stanley's Drive Time in the 1990's was very entertaining. Fairfax is really cutting costs. Look at the number of ex SMH sports journos now with the Telecrap. As for the gb Fascists ... whoever listens must be incapable of thinking for themselves. Anyway I'd like to wish John Stanley all the best. Brandy's anti Dragons performances late last year turned me off him.

Brutus

Referee
Was never a fan of Mike Carlton, but John Stanley was all class.

GB is a disgrace of a station.

eelandia

Juniors
reading sports news in breakfast and drive? thats my tip.

. last year was all about saving money at the fairfax owned station. next year it will be all about ratings, as they look to groom themselves as a moderate, 35-55 year old alternative to the neo Fascists at 2GB. if you know anyone who listens to 2gb outside of the league call, do them a favour and put a nail gun to their skull and fire it off until they are dead. I have never listen to Chris Smith without coming away feeling somehow dumber.

Sad but very true. 2SM is similar going by the bites from other shows you hear during Talkin Sport ads. Why is AM radio in Sydney so far to the right and is it the same in other cities? Progressive thinking people only have 702 ABC.

Sports Today would be a shame to lose. I tend to switch over from 2SM at 6pm as by then I've had enough of Gavin Robertson.