What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whipping boys: Eels want Anderson to give job a good crack

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...ob-a-good-crack/2008/11/24/1227491460458.html

Whipping boys: Eels want Anderson to give job a good crack

Greg Prichard | November 25, 2008

PARRAMATTA players say they expect their new coach, Daniel Anderson, to include strict discipline as part of his approach - and, more importantly, they say they want him to be that way.

Last season was a write-off for the Eels. After making it through to a grand final qualifier the previous season, they dropped alarmingly to 11th. Disciplinary problems off the field and a general lack of control on it - which was mainly evident in silly mistakes and lapses in concentration - contributed heavily to the slump.

Anderson - appointed to a three-year term last week as the replacement for Michael Hagan, who resigned last month with a year still left on his contract - is renowned as a disciplinarian, although he has also proven himself as an excellent tactician coaching the Warriors in the NRL and, more recently, St Helens in Super League.

He said he felt "a bit like a kid in a lolly shop" yesterday, his first day in charge of Eels training after the players had last week off, but he wasn't taking the players on any picnic. They did a two-hour skills session under a biting, mid-afternoon sun at Ringrose Park, the home ground of Parramatta's feeder club, Wentworthville, having also completed a weights session in the morning.

Before the afternoon session, fullback Luke Burt and five-eighth Feleti Mateo each said they were only too happy for Anderson to crack the whip, because they saw it as a necessary ingredient if the team was going to return to producing more wins than losses next season.

"Discipline is a good thing," Mateo said. "He [Anderson] can show the way. I know the boys are willing to put their hands up and put in the extra work, to get back to where we were before last season. He has got a good record as a coach and I'm looking forward to playing under him. He is experienced and he has probably dealt with this sort of situation before.

"We expect to knuckle down. The boys were disappointed with the way last season turned out, but I'm sure we will get our form back to how it used to be if we do the hard work."

Burt said the players weren't afraid of Anderson taking a hard-line approach. "Last season wasn't our best, but before that it wasn't bad at all," he said. "Hopefully, 'Ando' is the last piece in the puzzle to us getting back to where we were. There's nothing wrong with discipline - all good sides have got that. If you want to get results, you've got to have discipline - on and off the field."

The players were handed a schedule for the next four weeks which will have them training twice a day, five days a week as the off-season preparation gets into full swing. Mateo returned after his World Cup campaign with Tonga ended at the group stage, but Nathan Cayless and Krisnan Inu (winners New Zealand) and Jarryd Hayne (semi-finalists Fiji) are still to return. Halfback Brett Finch was unable to train because of a virus.

Anderson began his coaching career in the lower grades at Parramatta, but left the club at the end of 2000. Many of the current players he had not met until yesterday, and he plans to get to know them during the physical side of the preparation leading up to Christmas.

"Right now, for me, it's about the nuts and bolts of the preparation and building relationships with the players," Anderson said. "After Christmas, we'll get into some strategies and philosophy of style. I'm very excited about what's ahead. It's a really good playing roster and, hopefully, by January, we'll have the full complement of players together and be progressing well."

Asked what he expected of the players in the lead-up to next season, Anderson replied: "I want them to enjoy training and to challenge each other. The chats I've had with a few players today tell me they want to improve and that they know where they need to improve. That's what you expect from a professional player."

sounds like the boys know whats needed so if Anderson gets tough on them they should know its for their own good

BRAD BELLICK

Juniors
Sounds like piss ant is saying all the right things already. Anyone can make their own assumptions as to who piss ant is, so not to upset the people who had their photos with the nicest bloke in the club at the last player function.

Gronk

Staff member
Anderson gives Eels low-key start

By Dean Ritchie and James Phelps | November 25, 2008 12:00am

0,,6366609,00.jpg
Start of a new era...Daniel Anderson takes his first Parramatta training session. Picture: Phil Hillyard. / The Daily Telegraph

IT was at a humble suburban ground in working class western Sydney where new Parramatta coach Daniel Anderson began plotting his club's tilt at a first premiership since 1986. Anderson's first official training run with his new club took place at Ringrose Park, Wentworthville.
Fitness work, lunch break, afternoon ball work . . . Anderson had his first look at the squad he hopes can steam into next year's finals.
"I was like a kid in a lolly shop," Anderson said last night.
"I had a few jitters. More excitement than anything else.
"We did a bit of everything. The players did some physical work in the morning and had a coach's session in the afternoon, which went for about 90 minutes.
"We did some unopposed ball work. It was pretty low key.
"We'd stop for a chat, get going again, and then stop for a chat.
"I just wanted to start to get used to their skills and they have to start getting used to my voice.
"I enjoyed it immensely."
Parramatta star Nathan Hindmarsh is training lightly after toe surgery but is yet to run at speed.
The Eels will break between December 19 and January 5.
"There will be no stopping us after that," Anderson said.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,24702072-5016547,00.html

Stagger eel

Staff member
Sounds like piss ant is saying all the right things already. Anyone can make their own assumptions as to who piss ant is, so not to upset the people who had their photos with the nicest bloke in the club at the last player function.

I bet you wouldn't say that infront of Feleti...

Bazal

Post Whore

I would have assumed piss ant was you, but that wouldn't make sense as you never say any of the right things...or even any remotely intelligent things...

Bazal

Post Whore
took fittler and taylor a month. brian didn't take that long with us in his first year either. all depends on the coach and the cattle.

Exactly. I think it will take us longer after the lethargy and apathy of the Hagan administration, but a guy like Anderson is the kind of guy who can build a winning culture very quickly. Look what he did with the Warriors...14th to 8th in a year, 8th to 1st in another year. I don't expect us to do it that quickly, he had the advantage in NZ of being able to hand pick his side prior to starting the position which is something he doesn't have here. But come 2010, if he gets the players he wants and loses those he doesn't, then let's just say I'll be excited...

Suitman

Post Whore
Exactly. I think it will take us longer after the lethargy and apathy of the Hagan administration, but a guy like Anderson is the kind of guy who can build a winning culture very quickly. Look what he did with the Warriors...14th to 8th in a year, 8th to 1st in another year. I don't expect us to do it that quickly, .

I do. We only have to come from 11th. ;-)

Suity

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Can't wait to see Jarryd play under him..

I'm really excited about DA and our side, yes i may be expecting too much, but you can quote me on this, the worst case scenraio next year is a 6th place, the guy can get the best out of players in a very short period.

caylo

Bench
Exactly. I think it will take us longer after the lethargy and apathy of the Hagan administration, but a guy like Anderson is the kind of guy who can build a winning culture very quickly. Look what he did with the Warriors...14th to 8th in a year, 8th to 1st in another year. I don't expect us to do it that quickly, he had the advantage in NZ of being able to hand pick his side prior to starting the position which is something he doesn't have here. But come 2010, if he gets the players he wants and loses those he doesn't, then let's just say I'll be excited...

Well considering he has players like Hayne, Inu, Finch, Cayless, Fui, Hindmarsh and Mateo at his desposal, talent isn't a problem. Younger guys like Keating brothers, Hauraki, Paulo, Cordoba have potential plus other good players liek Smith, Reddy, Grothe. Then the inexperianced players liek Latimore, Mannah, Horo, Mitchell, J.Wright and Etu can definatly step up. He may not be able to hand pick them, but he has alot of talent to work with.

the_eel

Juniors
I expect a lot of improvement out of the younger blokes on the fringe of 1st grade as well as Inu and Hayne under Anderson's coaching. Some coaches have the knack of getting the most out of a players ability and i see Anderson as one of those coaches. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see one or two of the younger forwards from Wenty or the 20's really step up this year with an improved fitness program and the opportunity to step up in the absence of Wagon and Robinson.

yy_cheng

Coach
If Hayne has his head in this year and he plays at fullback.

I see him excelling this year with Ando providing a more structured play allowing him to chime in. As seen at the end of this year and in the WC, he call use his outside men as well.

If Ando gets the likes of Paulo, Hindy, Caylo, Mateo (as we have seen them all do in the past) to offload before the line, with Hayne floating around

bartman

Immortal
same. i have my fingers crossed that hayne stays at fullback.
The only reason he wouldn't is if he under-performs during off-season training, and doesn't have his mind on the job like last year.

Jarryd is "Mister Potential", and could go onto be anything in the game - Billy Slater, Karmichael Hunt pffft. But only if he is switched on rather than taking his talent for granted.

Since about three weeks before the end of last season, everything we've heard out of Jarryd is pointing in the right direction. The humbling experience of playing with guys on next to no money but oodles of spirit with Fiji probably helped him greatly too. He should have a big year ahead of him, no excuses.

Gronk

Staff member
From Dean Ritchie; Telecrap 9/02/2009

New Parramatta Coach Daniel Anderson is hammering his players pre-season. Eels players will rise at 4.00am today for a 5.30am session at Wanda Beach, where they will get stuck into the sand hills. Eric Grothe lives in Cronulla and, for the first time, may be the first player at training. Parramatta claim to have no interest in former Storm back rower Mick Crocker.

Stagger eel

Staff member
no real surprise regarding Crocker but good to see that the players especially Guru is responding to the discipline.

Latest posts