What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White Plains Wombats

Boston13s

Juniors
They currently have their application in with the USARL but I don't envisage any problems and yeah they'll be replacing the Wildcats as Curtis has folded that club.

I'm excited about the WPW addition. They will have Hawks internationals Matt Walsh & Luke Barron on the roster as well as some former AMNRL Tomahawks too.

A good addition to the USARL!

deluded pom?

Coach
Not struck on wombats as a name. It comes across as a team for Aussies who live in America and are at a loose end on a Saturday.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Yeah, Wombats is pretty lame. I hate when Australian stuff gets applied to international teams.

joshreading

Staff member
What was Curtis' gripe ultimately? He seemed to jump on board and then get ticked off at everyone.

Also anyone in the know as to what is going on with Hawaii? I saw David Nui claiming that Hawaii Rugby League still had something to do with the AMNRL a while ago on facebook.

Craigo

Juniors
Yeah, Wombats is pretty lame. I hate when Australian stuff gets applied to international teams.

So you hate "Australian stuff"? Teams can have whatever moniker they want. Last time I checked, a rhino wasn't an indigenous animal to the British Isles yet The RL side in Leeds don't seem to mind. Perhaps the idea is to have something completely unique to gain interest in a different sport, for it to becomes a talking point. But whatever....

Evil Homer

Staff member
So you hate "Australian stuff"? Teams can have whatever moniker they want. Last time I checked, a rhino wasn't an indigenous animal to the British Isles yet The RL side in Leeds don't seem to mind. Perhaps the idea is to have something completely unique to gain interest in a different sport, for it to becomes a talking point. But whatever....
No, it's just not a great idea to have a name transplanted from a different and foreign culture, it risks pigeon-holing the sport and alienating the people that you're trying to attract. Similar to MLS teams having names like Real Salt Lake and Sporting Kansas, it just sounds awkward. Or London Broncos if you want a RL example, a great American/Australian name that did nothing to engage with anyone in London.

What a load of shit. The realty is the hatred of Australia even extends to references to Australian animals. New levels of pathetic.

London Broncos is not only not an Australian name but in the late 90s it was actually the most successful incarnation of the London club in its ridiculous history.

And to suggest an Australian animal is a "foreign culture" yet nothing has ever been said about names like Atlanta Rhinos pretty clearly demonstrates the attitude at play here.

Evil Homer

Staff member
What a load of shit. The realty is the hatred of Australia even extends to references to Australian animals. New levels of pathetic.

London Broncos is not only not an Australian name but in the late 90s it was actually the most successful incarnation of the London club in its ridiculous history.

And to suggest an Australian animal is a "foreign culture" yet nothing has ever been said about names like Atlanta Rhinos pretty clearly demonstrates the attitude at play here.
Damn, you got me. My blood is boiling just thinking about those Australian animals. Grr.

Last edited:

Craigo

Juniors
No, it's just not a great idea to have a name transplanted from a different and foreign culture, it risks pigeon-holing the sport and alienating the people that you're trying to attract. Similar to MLS teams having names like Real Salt Lake and Sporting Kansas, it just sounds awkward. Or London Broncos if you want a RL example, a great American/Australian name that did nothing to engage with anyone in London.
Hahaha nice sidestep, you must have played 5/8th or centre.
Would it have been better to call them the "Winchesters", I mean seriously EH do you really think it will be that much of a problem with Wombats? Perhaps its a shout out to the Coogee Wombats who have toured the US once or twice but who gives a s#&t! TBH it wouldn't be my first choice but I'm not the one trying to get the game started over there and neither are you. Time will tell.

Damn, you got me. My blood is boiling just thinking about those Australian animals. Grr.

Then explain why an Australian animal emblem is in any way unacceptable when any other one is.

Just like when any heritage team is full of Aussies its a joke but when its Ireland or Scotland and it's full of poms never a word is said.

Its a great logo. You can bet there won't be many like it in the US.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Hahaha nice sidestep, you must have played 5/8th or centre.
Would it have been better to call them the "Winchesters", I mean seriously EH do you really think it will be that much of a problem with Wombats? Perhaps its a shout out to the Coogee Wombats who have toured the US once or twice but who gives a s#&t! TBH it wouldn't be my first choice but I'm not the one trying to get the game started over there and neither are you. Time will tell.
Huh? They aren't going to be called the Sombreros or the Maple Leafs either, giving them a name that is explicitly linked to one particular foreign country doesn't make too much sense, and when it's a country that has close links with the sport in question then it can potentially make the whole thing look like a novelty or something that is only accessible for people from a certain background. Like DP said, 'Wombats' makes it sound like a team for a bunch of bored Aussie expats looking for a Saturday kickabout. I'm not sure many Americans would even know what a wombat is, even I don't really know what one looks like. They would've been better staying with Wildcats IMO. It's not really a big deal though, but as usual ECT turned it into one with his insane ramblings.

Pommy

Coach

Why do you think theres a hatred for Australia? I think theres a great rivalry in sport but if theres hatred it certainly flows more the other way.

Pommy

Coach
Then explain why an Australian animal emblem is in any way unacceptable when any other one is.

Just like when any heritage team is full of Aussies its a joke but when its Ireland or Scotland and it's full of poms never a word is said.

Its a great logo. You can bet there won't be many like it in the US.

Do you think it could be because Australia is the best RL nation (currently ranked 2nd before someone points that out) in the world and as such is going to draw a bit more attention than a team which isn't very good and over the years can't even decide which country it represents?
For the record I have said many times that international league should be about representing your actual nation not representing your parents nation because your not good enough to rep your own.

Last edited:

The Partisan

Anyhoos.....:roll:

Northern New York eh...

I wish them all the best and couldn't care less if they were Wombats; Werewolves; Whippets or Walruses !!!!

Craigo

Juniors
Huh? They aren't going to be called the Sombreros or the Maple Leafs either, giving them a name that is explicitly linked to one particular foreign country doesn't make too much sense, and when it's a country that has close links with the sport in question then it can potentially make the whole thing look like a novelty or something that is only accessible for people from a certain background. Like DP said, 'Wombats' makes it sound like a team for a bunch of bored Aussie expats looking for a Saturday kickabout. I'm not sure many Americans would even know what a wombat is, even I don't really know what one looks like. They would've been better staying with Wildcats IMO. It's not really a big deal though, but as usual ECT turned it into one with his insane ramblings.

What do you mean "Huh"?
This is what YOU posted: "Yeah, Wombats is pretty lame. I hate when Australian stuff gets applied to international teams."
Currently in the USARL there are Knights and Rhinos, two things which are not explicitly linked to the USA.
In the NFL you have the Lions, Bengals and Vikings, again they have nothing to do with the USA.
Now I agree with you on a lot of things regarding the lack of support for the international game by the NRL/ARLC but anti-Australian comments like the one you originally made just get tiresome after a while.
I suppose I just expected better from a forum moderator....

Latest posts