What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are the fastest players we have?

dino1

Juniors
Everybody has opinion on the players that are speedmen. I want nominations throughout the grades. Is Dufty the quickest?????? Would a team of speedmen be the ideal team?

Belta

Juniors
Everybody has opinion on the players that are speedmen. I want nominations throughout the grades. Is Dufty the quickest?????? Would a team of speedmen be the ideal team?

I’ve heard Field is the quickest. Reaction time and Acceleration (ie over the first 20 metres or so) tends to be effective in certain roles. Cook has been a standout lately due to his acceleration out of dummy half. Fast wingers ie JAC (and B Morris in years gone by) are a point of difference in that they get into the clear and invariably capitise by not being run down.

All in all I see speed as a bonus. There has to be a bench mark for all other aspects of your game as a minimum, then if you have the speed then you have an edge. I find it interesting that Cook took awhile to develop at a number of clubs before reaching his current status. A lot of players develop overtime into better (more complete) players by working on thier weaknesses (Slater comes to mind)

Strength, athleticism, game awareness (intelligence), natural ability are often at least and in some cases more important. Bellamy commented about Inglis as a youngster and how he was very strong and would just run over players. Inglis had a lot of attributes, big, powerful, athleticism and speed.

Reactions: jak

Crush

Coach
I think the quickest is clearly Dufty from the starting 17.
The slowest back by far would have to be Tim Lafai, pretty sure most of the backrowers would beat that bloke in a foot race.

possm

Coach

I think that all members of a first grade team should be able to play their part in defence and in attack use their best skills to help the team score tries.

Reactions: jak

possm

Coach
Field Dufty Pearson Ravalawa Friz would be the top 5 imo

Yes that's great however, I think most on here would think the same. I would love to see the official stats which would include:

20m
50m
100m

For all of the 30 man squad.

I'm sure it is doable and would be of great interest to many SGI fans.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Yes that's great however, I think most on here would think the same. I would love to see the official stats which would include:

20m
50m
100m

For all of the 30 man squad.

I'm sure it is doable and would be of great interest to many SGI fans.

Probably of interest tonopposition coaches too

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Its interesting, this obsession with speed.
In any case, the most important factor in any speed contest is the first 20 metres, or speed off the mark. Getting past the first line defense basicalky puts you in the clear, with usually only the f/b to beat. Same applies to a kick return, most speedsters accelerate through the hole or gap (not at top speed until then), thats what gives them the edge (the ability to find the extra gear), as opposition have to turn and chase, we even see forwards do this. Eg: Tariq Sims
So, who has the fastest 20 metres at the dragons? It would ve interesting to line up the entire squad to fund out, both from standing start and rolling start. The results may suprise. However, it is very unlikely we'd ever find out, as this would be valuable to opposition coaches.
I will be watching with great curiosity as to the game plan this year. Will we persist with the power game? which basically eliminates the need for speed, or will we play more expansive which brings in our quick men?
Just on side note JAC would arguably he the fastest NRL player, but obly gas a rackle efficiency of 73% and who did the Roisters target in the GF? Also, the Roosters won the GF with who as their speedmen on the wings?

Drag Queen

Bench
Friz on the wing would be sensational.

Picture Jonah Lomu.
No secret I'm an AB's fan. Lomu 1.96cm, 120kgs and 10.8 seconds over 100 metres. Big fella was a legend. A League player in his junior years until Union saw his potential and effectively alleviated him to superstar status. Sadly missed. Shannon Frizell similar dynamics, but slower for the Highlanders. Tyson extremely quick (I'd need Samy to confirm exactly how quick) but this isn't a mad idea. Cheers Xx