What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are the NRL's longest-serving, most incompetent coaches?

kdalymc

Bench
I’ve never understood why coaches get the booter. He isn’t out there being a spastic every week

Fire

First Grade
I’ve never understood why coaches get the booter. He isn’t out there being a spastic every week
This is true, and to an extent I do agree with your sentiment.

However, there is the saying: "There is no such thing as bad teams, only bad leaders".

So it raises the question: How can someone keep leading a team after 3-4 years of failing? (Let alone 5+ years onward).

Of course this is just my take on the NRL coaching situation.

Fire

First Grade
He started as head coach in 2010 with about 6 weeks of the season left. He was on an enforced holiday in 2014.
Understood. When I wrote that post there were a few asterisks I'm happy for people to add which I couldn't be bothered putting in (i.e., Flanagan's suspension, Mary, Ciraldo, etc, not beginning their tenure at the start of the season, etc).

My observation is based on consecutive years, and Flanagan's begins in 2014. but I have no problem at all if people disagree with this start date.

T.S Quint

Coach
But harsh on Arthur.
He’s had the misfortune of having to coach the Parramatta Eels. No one is good enough to overcome that obstacle.

Surely

Post Whore
brad Arthur is a standout , Mary was unlucky this year, Widdop injury cost them.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I'd say if you are going to judge incompetence on any form of statistical analysis then premierships is a poor choice to use, given that with 16 teams and one premiership / year, that would mean that one premiership every 16 years would be the average performance.

Better to judge on finals appearances and top four, where 1 in 2 and 1 in 4 would be the average.

Then a premiership above and beyond that gets an honourable mention.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Brian Smith was a coach who you would get to build your club then after 2 years quickly move him on with someone who can player manage. I once ran into Gordon Tallis and chatting with him about what made bennet different to any other coach he had.

He said he only new of 2 coaches - was bennet and the other was smith.

If smith he said he could bring a game plan to defeat anyone that they came up against as long as they followed the letter to a tee. Of Bennet he said he wasn’t as tactical as smith but he was more of a player manager and yiunwiuid gonthay extra mile for him where as smith would do your head in with tactics and game plans as footballers you couldn’t take all that in. But he did say smith was a Brilliant tactician with smarts to be to smart which you couldn’t take after 2 years with him at the helm

hardbaby

Coach
We have made the finals once since Stuart has got here. That’s pretty terrible
Yep. As a Dragons fan I’m loathe to criticise any other coach. Our bloke sucks. But I don’t see the Canberra fascination with Ricky. Perennial under-achiever.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I think the only coaches who deserve to be on any long term contracts are bellamy and robinson.

Arthur, Stuart, Mcgregor, Cleary have done sfa.

I think when we look at coaches, you have to consider their entire record as a first grade coach.

Ricky Stuart started at the Roosters in 2002. Has won 1 premiership, and much of that squads was assembled before he arrived.

Ivan Cleary started at the Warriors in 2006 and has won 0 premierships. In fact, according to an article published today by Paul Kent, he is trying to make history by coaching a team to the premiership for the first time after 250 games. Apparently 0 coaches in first grade history have coached a team to a premiership after having coached for 250 or more games. Also career wise Cleary has a 47% win record as a coach.

Last edited:

roofromoz

First Grade
Elliot made the finals 4 times in 5 years at the Raiders.

Furner 2 times in 5 years

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think that record was why we recruited Elliott.

Spoon in his first year (2007), one fluke finals appearance (2010) and at least 2 late season fade outs after being in the 8 mid season (2008 and 2009).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surely Arthur must hold the current title? Plenty of money at his disposal, SC cheating to stack the side, good jnr base to develop from and yet they have been terrible, apart from one season, since he took over.

2014 10th
2015 12th
2016 14th
2017 4th
2018 Last