What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

Diesel

Referee
Stuff.co.nz says we’re close to signing Toby Rudolf. Watched him in QLD Cup and he was a solid player. Hopefully the deal goes through

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Katoa signed for 4 more years
https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/20202/05/14/katoa-signed-until-2024/

Rookie Eliesa Katoa’s standing as one of the NRL’s most promising players has been underlined by the Vodafone Warriors tonight announcing his signing until the end of the 2024 season.

Born in Tonga, the 193cm, 111kg second rower has earned his four-year NRL contract despite playing rugby league for only a year after being a schoolboy rugby union star with the Tamaki College First XV in Auckland.

After impressing so much in his NRL debut from the bench against Newcastle on March 14, Katoa was immediately promoted to start in the second row a week later against Canberra in Robina.

“It was a shock. The whole reason why I’m playing is to help out my family and my Mum’s happy,” he told Warriors TV on Sky Sport tonight.

“As a young player, I’m trying to sort out my future so signing this deal for four years, I’m really happy about it.

“Every time I play, I want to put my best foot forward and just play my best.”
After being signed from Tamaki College, Katoa made his way in his new code playing 11 times in an injury-disrupted season for the Vodafone Junior Warriors in the Jersey Flegg Cup under-20 competition last year before spending the full 2020 preseason with the club’s NRL squad.

He received rave reviews from football staff and teammates alike to earn a call-up for both 2020 NRL trials against the Melbourne Storm and the Wests Tigers.

“He’s a wonderful boy,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney.

“He displays those values every day whether it’s at training or helping Laurie (Hale) by bringing equipment in. You wish you had 30 of them. Eli’s a really important part of our club’s future.”

Vodafone Warriors captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck echoed Kearney’s assessment.

“We first saw him as this big Tongan boy, how they breed every Tongan – big and strong,” he said.

“He did a tough preseason with us and has been killing it ever since on the footy park. In our first two games he was our man of the match, so well deserved. The mentality he has now is that all he wants to do is learn, feed off the other players, feed off the coaches and the management staff. I just tell him to keep that growth mindset and wanting to learn.”
Vodafone Warriors head of athletic performance Craig Twentyman says Katoa has exceptional physical ability.

“His strength, power and size are obviously massive attributes for him,” he said.

“What further enhances his physical profile is his energy system or his aerobic capacity and power and that gives him the ability to repeat high intensity efforts right throughout a game.”
Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan has signed a lot of high-quality players and ranks Katoa in the same category.

“The first time I laid eye on him I had the feeling he was something special,” he said.

“In conjunction with Ben Murdoch-Masila signing gives us big athletic strike forwards to base our game around.

“His size, skill, athleticism and his willingness to learn make him an invaluable asset to the Vodafone Warriors.

“Eli has the potential to be the cornerstone of the Vodafone Warriors’ pack for the next decade.”

In his NRL debut against the Knights as Vodafone Warrior #242, gained 144 metres – including a team high 50 post-contact metres – from 17 runs in 52 minutes and made four tackles breaks plus 19 tackles. Only Tuivasa-Sheck topped his metre count.

The following week he was on the field for 65 minutes making 157 metres (including another team-high 60 post-contact metres) from 17 runs plus four tackle breaks and 27 tackles.

ELIESA KATOA

Born: March 11, 2000

Birthplace: Hihifo, Tonga

Junior Club: Tamaki College First XV (rugby union)

Position: Second row

Height: 193cm

Weight: 111kg

Previous Clubs: Nil

NRL Debut: v Newcastle Knights, McDonald Jones Stadium, March 14, 2020 (Round 1)

Vodafone Warriors No: 242

NRL Career: 2 appearances (2020)

NRL Points: 0

NYC Career: 11 appearances (2019)

NYC Points: 12 (3 tries)

SmashEmBro

Juniors
I'm interested to hear what everyone's thoughts are on what we should do with Burr.

Off contract at the end of the year. I think he's been awesome for us, wouldn't be on much more than 100k id guess, and he's filled in well everywhere he's been asked to do a job.
Sad to say, I just can't see a spot for him moving foreword.
With Jazz, Katoa, Curran, Papalli and Blair fighting for 3 positions, I can't see how he would fit in

Cold Roses

Juniors
I'm interested to hear what everyone's thoughts are on what we should do with Burr.

Off contract at the end of the year. I think he's been awesome for us, wouldn't be on much more than 100k id guess, and he's filled in well everywhere he's been asked to do a job.
Sad to say, I just can't see a spot for him moving foreword.
With Jazz, Katoa, Curran, Papalli and Blair fighting for 3 positions, I can't see how he would fit in

Burr, Papalii, Pulu and Blair (Player Option to 2021) are all off contract end of this year. With the emergeance of Katoa and JTB, and the signing of BMM and (possibly) Toby Rudolph, I would think there are a couple of that group surplus to requirements. Burr and Pulu would seem to be most at risk, unless they are willing to take bargain basement contracts and stay to fight it out as depth players.

BLN2

Juniors
Yeah I can't see Pulu staying, Burr is apparently on a really small deal and has no doubt done a job for us. I would like to see him stay for another year or 2 as a reserve grade leader/injury back up.

I'm thinking Blair will 100% stay on for next season, his family seems settled in AK and why wouldn't he. I just hope we structured the deal right, as in front loaded, with the player option being quite a bit less. If management had half a brain they would have - He's 35 next year.

Green might be offered another year also, unfortunately. He's a leader off the field, wants to play on, and has a great relationship with management. He should only be re signed if he is on a small 1 year deal, with no expectation of being in the NRL team.

Frei, I'm not sure of. He should have been blooded last year, but an opportunity missed there. Beale, thanks mate, see you later. Always seemed like a odd signing, and his constant injuries on his decent contract, just doesn't offer enough for a back up.

Matua

Bench
Burr hasn't really been a reserve grade leader/injury back up though, he's basically a first name on the sheet and is average as fudge. But, as he's Australian it's ok.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Burr is a re-sign but don’t upgrade guy I reckon. I doubt he’s gonna get any big offers elsewhere either but he’s worth keeping on a base contract. And i doubt any clubs are gonna be flashing cash around this year.

Penrose_11

Juniors
John Bateman anybody?? His manager is Isaac Moses. He’s also manager for SK, Todd Payten, Nikorima, Blair and several others. Moses also has big links with our recruitment manager O’Sullivan. I’m sure Bateman to Warriors on a massive deal is being discussed. Newcastle seem to be well in the mix but salary cap constraints might stop that one happening.

The conspiracy theorist in me says there’s probably a Blair extension also being penned.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
I would be more than happy with a forward pack of:

BMM
Egan
Ah Mau
Harris
Katoa
Bateman

Roache
Rudolph
Paasi
Bunty/Jazz

Please Papalli and Blair bugger off, you're holding this team back significantly.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Not getting Toby. Decided to stay at the sharks.

Bummer because he is going to be a good player, but tbh we cant be buying guys that aren't all in or are just coming for the cash.

We should probably save some salary cap for the next coach to spend anyway

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Doesn't matter who we buy for next year. We're stuffed

We NEED to get Blair off the books, too big a pay cheque for his returns

We NEED for Green to go. Plays well as a support role, but not as main playmaker, plus he getting on.

We NEED Papalii to go, as he just doesn't cut the mustard. Which is a shame, because I actually like him.

We NEED to figure out whom are our best centre pairing

We NEED fit wingers, that can constantly perform.

We NEED a coach that we can actually believe in.

We NEED to be holding on to guys like JTB, Katoa. Would be keen to keep Murchie as well

We NEED to start playing Lawton ahead of Egan. Roache, I feel like he's the next Jerome Ropati and Ben Henry, I just feel like the injuries are mounting too much. Egan, I quite like but he doesn't really offer a point of difference.

How we can win 18-0, albeit against the weakest side in the league, to then being hammered by the Panthers 26-0 is just bizarre.

BLN2

Juniors
Hard too not agree with any of that.

It baffles me when Kearney constantly tinkers with the backs every season, Fusitua seems to be a "centre" after every off season, to then offer very little and be moved back. Hiku has switched sides a couple of times. Now Herbert is a winger. WTF is SK playing at?

Lawton not getting a decent gig is doing my head in. Constantly looks our hungriest/most likely to break the line player, only to get 10-15 minute spells. Egan has hardly earnt his place in the side, but is apparently our number 1 hooker. Signing Curran to a 3 year deal, only to have him carry the drinks despite having literally no forward depth. Green stinking up the place for 2 seasons in the 7 jersey, but is untouchable. Signing Nikorma to a big 3 year deal, then benching him. Now starting him.

Thank god for JTB and Katoa, for showing us rookies can do a job better than a vet.

Gutted about Rudolf, I think he'll be a good starting Front Rower. On to the next one I guess.

I'm also not happy with dumping the NSW Cup team. Still waiting for the full details to how that's going to work..

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Not getting Toby. Decided to stay at the sharks.

Bummer because he is going to be a good player, but tbh we cant be buying guys that aren't all in or are just coming for the cash.

We should probably save some salary cap for the next coach to spend anyway

Whoa, is this official?

I just read a short story about it, but he's signed on with us so we're going to have to agree to let him go.

Hes going to be a very good prop I really hope we don't agree to let him go just like that

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Rumours that Aiden Sezer is returning to the NRL, I'd be more than happy if we picked him up and had him and CHT in the halves with Nikorima on the bench as hooker.

Get rid of Green, Papalli and Blair at the end of the year.
Roache, if he can't string more than 8 games together this year has to go too, I'm a fan, but there's no point having a porshe in the garage if you can never bring it out.
Stick to two wingers and two centres, and play them there for the whole year.
Grow the young guys like JTB, Katoa and King.
Get rid of Kearney.
Easy. Top 8 for sure next year

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I don't blame Rudolph one bit if he wants out.

I've been supporting the Warriors since day one and Kearney has me wanting out. Can't imagine why a player would want to come here.

Having said that, if he's signed a contract and wants out I'd be playing hardball. If the Sharks want him he's not coming cheap.

The whole "compassionate grounds" argument is bull. If the Sharks didn't suddenly have spare cash he'd still be coming.

BLN2

Juniors
It's very odd given the fact we never announced him as signed, but apparently he has and now wants out? I sort of hope he has signed a deal with us, and we're either standing firm or trying to convince him to come. He's worth the fight, but I can't see it ending well TBH. I guess contracts aren't worth anything these days, bloody hope the NRL crack down on this sort of shit.

Diesel

Referee
If we don’t get Ruldolph or anyone else shortly, and these 13+ loses continue, it’s going to be very rabid on here in the next 2 weeks. We’ve got Rabbits and Storm after this round

Tiger Shark

Bench
I don't blame Rudolph one bit if he wants out.

I've been supporting the Warriors since day one and Kearney has me wanting out. Can't imagine why a player would want to come here.

Having said that, if he's signed a contract and wants out I'd be playing hardball. If the Sharks want him he's not coming cheap.

The whole "compassionate grounds" argument is bull. If the Sharks didn't suddenly have spare cash he'd still be coming.

If the Sharks had the cash at the start he would never have looked the Warriors way.

Latest posts