What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who can smell an All Black choke??

Engine

Juniors
Funny enough, I didn't think the AllBlacks were that good, depite the scoreline against Portugal. the Portuguese scored a great try off the scrum, which should give teams with better packs a lot of hope.

I think the Aussies will knock them off. It has that smell.

ozbash

Referee
It has that smell.

get your nose out of your arse. :lol:

the wannabes looked weak v wales.

The AB's were in 'freindly' mode v portugal ( who incidently, are helped in a big way by nz coaches/players).

Good on the Portugese for having a go.

aussie wnt make the final.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
doesn't look very likely atm and we are walking wounded atm

looks like we will meet the ABs in a semi, assuming we get that far

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Its a funny game.
The All Blacks are the best team in the world, but weather they win or not is another story. They may just find themself against France in the Quarter. Despite France loosing to Argentina a week ago, I think the French at home may be one of the only legit chances of knocking off NZ with South Africa and Australia if they really step up, and Australia havent been great, though South Africa have been strong

NZ rested a few players the other day. I wouldnt lose any doubts over there performance the other night. Teams are going to have to play brilliant to beat them.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
They may just find themself against France in the Quarter. Despite France loosing to Argentina a week ago, I think the French at home may be one of the only legit chances of knocking off NZ

Fortunately for the All Blacks, the quarter final between the Winner of pool C and the runner-up of pool D is being played in Cardiff, so if the ABs meet France in a semi it will be at a neutral venue, not in France. With that in mind it's really the likely semi-final against Australia that has me more nervous than anything else as the French don't worry me too much away from home.

shiznit

Coach
lol... after 20 years of heartbreak im a nervous wreck.... the injuries within the squad are killing me at the moment. hearing richie hurt his shoulder took 5 years off my life...

heres how i see it... NZ are without doubt the best side in the world... and by a big margin. but that doesnt mean the cup is ours in the bank... as john eals once said.. the best team doesnt necessarily with the world cup. any side that can get up for 3 games of football is capable of winning it.

as piss poor as england are.. i think they are capable of knocking over the wallibies in the 1/4's. they have a very good set piece which could upset the aussies. and lets be honest.. i think the wallibies have been eyeing the semi against NZ for 3 years now so they might not have there mind on the job.

South Africa are very good.... outstanding infact... the only thing with them is i dont know if they have it in them to beat the all blacks away from home. theres abit of doubt in there after the game in the republic this year. they really should have beaten the ab's. for some reason they really struggle in the crunch against the all blacks.

France... well.... who knows... you have to fear them... even on nuetral grounds they can turn it on... that 1999 semi was at twickers.

shiznit said:
as piss poor as england are.. i think they are capable of knocking over the wallibies in the 1/4's. they have a very good set piece which could upset the aussies. and lets be honest.. i think the wallibies have been eyeing the semi against NZ for 3 years now so they might not have there mind on the job.

Not the England that I saw against SA.

They looked like a bunch of amateurs, bad decisions and errors at set piece.

England no longer have the hard heads of Martin Johnson, Matt Dawson, Lawrence Dallaglio and Neil Back - Those blokes were the main reason for England’s past success,
Wilkinson may have potted the goal but the English forwards were the real game winners.

shiznit

Coach
the english scrum i thought was dominant against a very good south african one.... Andy Sherridan will destroy the aussie scrum again if hes given a chance.

i dont buy into all the media bullsh*t about how the australian scrum has turned the corner. its rubbish... when australia come up against a dominant scrum they have to resort to spoiling on there own ball... thats how poor they are.

ofcourse scrum dominance means nothing if they cant back it up in other places so i think if Wilkonson is back and firing they are a good side. say what you like about JW but he is a very good first five and england are a diffrent side when hes fit.

Thomas

First Grade
I reckon France will roll NZ in the 1/4's......and then lose to Australia in the semi having played the game of their lives the week before.

Australia - South Africa final

Te Kaha

First Grade
Thomas said:
I reckon France will roll NZ in the 1/4's......and then lose to Australia in the semi having played the game of their lives the week before.

If you are going to have dreams.. at least throw in a bevy of beautiful woman in bikinis...

Thomas

First Grade
They don't wear bikinis in my dreams......

I know it is unfathomable to even consider NZ not getting past the 1/4's...but it could happen.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Thomas said:

If France were playing in France maybe, but they'll have to do it on neutral ground as that game will be played in Cardiff. After the results in the last four NZ-France games (averager margin of about 40 points to the ABs) I really can;t see the frogs cloising that gap without a partisan crowd to get them home.

shiznit said:
the english scrum i thought was dominant against a very good south african one.... Andy Sherridan will destroy the aussie scrum again if hes given a chance.

i dont buy into all the media bullsh*t about how the australian scrum has turned the corner. its rubbish... when australia come up against a dominant scrum they have to resort to spoiling on there own ball... thats how poor they are.

ofcourse scrum dominance means nothing if they cant back it up in other places so i think if Wilkonson is back and firing they are a good side. say what you like about JW but he is a very good first five and england are a diffrent side when hes fit.

The scrum is one part of the puzzle.

I'll be the first to admit when we lost the likes of Ben Darwin, Dan Crawley and Andrew Blades our scrum had never really been the same.

But our line out is far superior to England’s, also our lose forward play and our rolling maul has come along in leaps and bounds.

Johnny Wilkinson is a one trick pony and without a dominate, aggressive forward pack to hide behind he will experience first hand what it is like to be hit by a run away train (Palu, Smith and Elsom).

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
France on a random day could beat NZ if they dont play great.

Thats the thing about world cups. Your one game from being knocked out. And on any day, if France or Australia stay with the All Blacks in the first half. NZ, who have been the best team for the last 4 years, all of a sudden are in a nailbiter, 40 minutes from elimination perhaps. They will feel the pressure , its impossible not too. They can really only lose, noone expects anyone to beat them.

shiznit

Coach
The Camden Leisure Pirate said:
The scrum is one part of the puzzle.

I'll be the first to admit when we lost the likes of Ben Darwin, Dan Crawley and Andrew Blades our scrum had never really been the same.

But our line out is far superior to England’s, also our lose forward play and our rolling maul has come along in leaps and bounds.

Johnny Wilkinson is a one trick pony and without a dominate, aggressive forward pack to hide behind he will experience first hand what it is like to be hit by a run away train (Palu, Smith and Elsom).
JW a one trick pony?? ill tell you one thing... i wouldnt be suprised to see Palu, Smith & Elsom being put on there arse if they run at him. hes a very strong defender.

i know its easy to poke fun at the poms... but JW is almost the complete 10. strong passer, kicker and defender.. the only he lacks is a running game. but to be honest england have never been a side with a 1st five who takes the line on.

people think because hes had these string of injuries hes no good... but SH biast aside.. i rank him higher than Larkham.

Engine said:
Funny enough, I didn't think the AllBlacks were that good, depite the scoreline against Portugal. the Portuguese scored a great try off the scrum, which should give teams with better packs a lot of hope.

I think the Aussies will knock them off. It has that smell.

Wipe ya chin....the dribble looks classy !!.:roll:

Engine

Juniors
HAHAHAHa...I TOLD YA SO!!!! The grapes are sour in NZ.

http://www.haka.co.nz/allblacks.php

The refereeing effortThe mainstream media probably won't say it, so I will. The All Blacks got sent home from this Rugby World Cup today by a bloody awful two decisions by referee Wayne Barnes.The first was the ridiculous sending to the sin-bin of Luke McAllister in yet another of these hair-trigger 'clampdown' decisions at this World Cup. The public want to see who is best of XV vs. XV, not a points lottery decided by a referee. Naturally in such a tight test this directly gifted the French a try during that 10 minutes. It was equally unsurprising that this marked the turning point of the test. The second was his, and his touch-judges missing of what was an absolutely blatant forward-pass to Michalak - a pass which made the break which created their second try. In the after-match interview, Graham Henry was typically diplomatic, saying "we just didn't get the rub of the green", but privately I would bet he he and the team are seething over this one-sided refereeing performance. Two tries borne on the back of incompetent officlals. It's all enough to make you say "let's just not bother" when it comes to being interested in World Cup rugby. If that kind of thing happens then why would you - it just becomes a joke, a lottery in the end depending on which brand of idiot you get blowing the whistle, something I warned could happen some days earlier. As for the remainder of the test, apart from a lovely try to McAllister, it rose to no great heights, and was absolutely painful to watch at times. Barnes seemed to have eyes only for All Black infringements for the whole 80 minutes, missing French offsides around the ruck as a matter of course, and naturally, when a French player turned to chase a kick and impeded an All Black later in the second half, this wasn't punished with a sin-bin.The general tenor in the media will probably be of the "All Blacks just weren't good enough in the end" genre. That's bollocks, they were good enough to take this test out. The other thing you will probably hear a lot of is "the All Blacks didn't have enough hard tests". This is also wrong. Look again at the way they played this test and you will see nothing less than you saw at the height of the Tri-Nations - more in fact. The reason they didn't win was all down to the cretin blowing the whistle, end of story. If that makes me a sore loser in the eyes of many, then that's just dandy. The truth is like that sometimes.So where to from here? Well, even if this All Black team had lifted the trophy, a lot of it's 'stars' are probably going to disappear off-shore anyway, in that way professional sport has of diluting the national game, so it isn't as if it would have had any continuity much beyond 2008. I expect Henry will call it a day too, and hand over the reigns to someone else - perhaps Hansen.No doubt we can look forward to a lot more hand-wringing and angst here in New Zealand over the coming weeks, as we face yet another "Four More Years" scenario. Personally I'm not hugely bothered by this loss, apart from the way that it happened. But I think it's high time for a different approach for New Zealand rugby. Forget about this over-blown event and what we have built it up to represent. Since New Zealand won the inaugural about a million years ago, we have had this belief we "own" it. That together with our generally high standards we set for our test rugby has made it into some kind of Holy Grail.It has been my unvarying view, for the past 20 years, that the Rugby World Cup is relatively unimportant. The team that wins it has usually does so with a mixture of luck, skill and on-the-day happenstance, as you can always expect from a knockout tournament. It's a great festival of rugby but nothing more.So I believe the New Zealand approach to it should change course 180-degrees, in effect to simply "not care" whether we win or lose it, and especially not to put in place some grand 4-year plan to win the next one. Instead, simply concentrate on building the strength and depth of the All Blacks to be the best they can be for each and every season, and just concentrate on those year by year.Then in World Cup year, just go to the event with whatever you have at the time, and enjoy the bloody thing. Who cares if you don't win.That way I believe, paradoxically, the World Cup will become easier to win, not harder. And rugby will shed some of this ridiculous 4-year-cycle nonsense that it has at present. The only fly in the ointment with that for 2011 of course is that WE are hosting the damn thing.Oh well, maybe we can manage it when it's in our own back-yard, but I'm not betting any money on that either - knockout tournaments are funny things as this one has proved.I wonder if the All Blacks will meet up with the Wallabies at the airport on the way home for an early start to the summer?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
They may be sour, but 100% correct

That bloke in the middle had a shocker, some real howlers in the game

England v Australia to me summed up why rugby is in such big trouble, a team that scores no tries beats a team that crosses the line. That is rubbish

Latest posts