What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

justadragon

Bench
Point is, Lawrie gets a ton of crap when Molo is equally as bad but doesn't get much negativity from the fans. Imo it's due to his appearance, he looks like a footy player & tries to put on big hits but is equally as poor as Lawrie.

Can fans start calling out Molo like Lawrie? I don't know but I've certainly noticed & called it out.
I think if you read a lot of posts on here you will see the members have given it to Molo as well, probably not as much as Lawrie, but yes you are right they are both as bad as each other in different ways. Lets just hope this can be the last contract both have at the Dragons.

justadragon

Bench
Yeah look at the Dogs, as much as I hate them, they moved on Alamoti who had massive wraps and replaced him with Chrichton, meanwhile Parra persist with Penisini hoping he comes good.
Ruthless.
Whilst we are talking about hope, think about the fact that Penisini was probably ranked above Lomax at centre. Which club do you think hopes for the best without being ruthless.

dungay dragon

Juniors
I think if you read a lot of posts on here you will see the members have given it to Molo as well, probably not as much as Lawrie, but yes you are right they are both as bad as each other in different ways. Lets just hope this can be the last contract both have at the Dragons.
Molo is streets ahead of Lawrie , esp with his aggressive defence and fearless approach to taking the ball up
Main problem being he floats in and out of games .Just needs to be used better , but has also had little help from fellow forwards and lack of hard nosed props.
The likely acquisition of Lodge and one another may greatly help

Dragon David

First Grade
I agree, both offer very little as front row forwards. "Oh please" the opposition say, "not Lawrie and Molo, we are so afraid of them when they charge at us like softies and when they tackle us they hit us with so much force (not). We dread playing against those two (again not)".
Seriously though, as front row forwards they are just not standouts in my opinion. No fear factor whatsoever.

since77

Juniors
Molo was reasonable at the beginning of the season. Dropped off after he was re-signed. For me his biggest issue has always been that he is an easy legs tackle for the defence. He usually gets stopped immediately at the defensive line by a standard legs tackle.
Having said that whoever said earlier than Molo and Lawrie are anywhere near the same quality is welcome to borrow my glasses next time they watch the footy.

maestro1

Bench
Molo is streets ahead of Lawrie , esp with his aggressive defence and fearless approach to taking the ball up
Main problem being he floats in and out of games .Just needs to be used better , but has also had little help from fellow forwards and lack of hard nosed props.
The likely acquisition of Lodge and one another may greatly help
Molo bends the line, adds aggression and plays the ball a hell of a lot quicker than Lawrie. Molo rarely gets pushed back and rolled on his back like Lawrie. But yes, we need better than both.

Old Timer

Coach
Why are we comparing Laurie to Molo ffs?

Comparing bog average to bog average to justify his position in the team is exactly how we get to keep these planks and never contend.

Compare him to NAS, JWH, JFH, RCG, PH, TF, JS, etc etc because that is what we need.

In respect of Molo he is a bench prop at best but at least some opposition players do look over their shoulder for him when he is playing well not so in respect of Lawrie.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I suspect a lot of the love for Lawrie was just nostalgia: a bloke who wasn't as athletic as most modern props, with a body shape from the early 1980s but who played with a lot of heart and loved the club. In a different era you could imagine him as the fella who had steak and eggs and a couple of schooners at the club bistro as his pregame routine before sparking up a bunga at halftime.

So I think it's more symptomatic of a club living in the past that he was held up as player's player and a future club captain. Not his fault but a professionally run organisation would recognise we're living in a different time now.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Fails to take into account metres per run, minutes played on average, etc. Plus Molo offers more intimidation than Lawrie does which is inarguable and will not show up on stats sheets. Add in the fact that Molo played a starting role due to how bad our front row rotation is when he is not at all a starter. He is a bench impact prop.

They both avg 11 runs per game & 40mins. What's the etc? What intimidation? They have similar stats. Are you talking about the intimidation when he shoots out of the line then either misses the player or hits the player but they continue running? Then he struggles to provide line speed for the rest of the set. Is that the intimidation or his carriers where he makes similar yardage to Lawrie?

You can't give a pass to Molo but not Lawrie when they have same production. That's just irrational bias. Molo wants to be a starter, that's why he came to us. He's said it himself.

Harry Bath

Juniors
I suspect a lot of the love for Lawrie was just nostalgia: a bloke who wasn't as athletic as most modern props, with a body shape from the early 1980s but who played with a lot of heart and loved the club. In a different era you could imagine him as the fella who had steak and eggs and a couple of schooners at the club bistro as his pregame routine before sparking up a bunga at halftime.

So I think it's more symptomatic of a club living in the past that he was held up as player's player and a future club captain. Not his fault but a professionally run organisation would recognise we're living in a different time now.
Lawrie is the Dragon's George Rose "when he was playing ok at Manly", not the overweight one who played with the Dragons

That's all fine and yes you should absolutely back yourself and your beliefs / opinions. I just didn't agree with the "bullying" comment. Criticism is not bullying, its just an opinion. At times people have been mocking Blake for his weight / body shape and that is definitely stepping over the line.
I think because Blake represents (to me and perhaps to others) a lot of what is wrong with how the club has been run over the last decade - embracing and persisting with mediocrity, lacklustre performance and poor recruitment and retention, he tends to be a bit of a lightning rod for fan's angst, particularly because his poorer performances really stand out. And yes I'll admit Blake is a bit of a trigger for me, for all of the reasons in my previous sentence.
Anyway thanks for your comments and yes - GO THE DRAGONS - hopefully that's what dominates discussion in 2025!
After realising how often I’ve verbally bullied Ben Hunt these past 2 years I felt so bad that I went to confession.

‘Bless me father for I have sinned. It’s been 49 years since my last confession.’

Then I go on to explain how I hate Ben Hunt and continually post on this Dragon’s forum; calling him names, being rude, nasty, impolite, and constantly wishing he’d just piss off.

The priest replies:

“Ben Hunt, you say?
He’s the 7 deadly sins rolled into one ugly NRL spawn of Satan! Any fight against Satan is a good fight.
No penance required."

So, guilt removed and its business as usual

F%$k off Hunt – NOW! (Sooner if possible)

justadragon

Bench

A bit like George Rose you say GS :) oops we had him too ,,,,I forgot ,,,,,,not.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach

Great point.

Absolutely living in the past and refusing to even try.
Just hanging their hats on other people’s work.

Parko1310

Juniors
They both avg 11 runs per game & 40mins. What's the etc? What intimidation? They have similar stats. Are you talking about the intimidation when he shoots out of the line then either misses the player or hits the player but they continue running? Then he struggles to provide line speed for the rest of the set. Is that the intimidation or his carriers where he makes similar yardage to Lawrie?

You can't give a pass to Molo but not Lawrie when they have same production. That's just irrational bias. Molo wants to be a starter, that's why he came to us. He's said it himself.
I don't care what Molo said - he isn't a starter.

Not giving a 'pass' to Molo either, I think he's got more than he gives, but to argue him and Lawrie are on the same level is laughable.

I also didn't say anything about how many runs they average a game. It's metres per run, showing effectiveness in those carries. Molo beats Lawrie there. Molo also averaged just under 40 mins a game, Lawire a little over, so it's not level there either.

The intimidation I'm talking about should be fairly obvious, he can definitely put a shot on, Lawrie cannot. Molo came up with one of, if not the best hit of the year in the Eels game for example. I won't argue against that he doesn't have much of a motor, but I'm not arguing he's a great player either. He's just obviously so much better than Lawrie in every regard.

Latest posts