What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Could Replace Simmons?

Magpies Forever

Juniors
In the off chance WT actually do punt Simmons who could replace him? I'd think someone like Skandalis or Roach could fit the bill. They have a reputation, are respected and "local boys" both were good defenders and could be presumed to want to do more to assist the club in its hour of need.

Their name and reputation might actually get some respect from the current players and coming in new they could actually demand some changes.

Most points scored and most points scored against,

surely this cant go on.......

Eddie.

Bench
Punt Sheens and that solves the Simmons problem. He walks with him (Surely??)

Head Hunt a Brian Smith or Ricky Stuart type coach. Both are probably on shaky ground given the state of finances at their respective clubs. Anyone who is prepared to shake a joint up and not afraid to make changes. I don't care how much these coaches are hated, they often get average lists to at least play with heart and tackle.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Punt Sheens and that solves the Simmons problem. He walks with him (Surely??)

Head Hunt a Brian Smith or Ricky Stuart type coach. Both are probably on shaky ground given the state of finances at their respective clubs. Anyone who is prepared to shake a joint up and not afraid to make changes. I don't care how much these coaches are hated, they often get average lists to at least play with heart and tackle.

Alas, the age old excuse for WT inaction will raise its head- supposed lack of funds to take any action and rip up contracts etc (or so they say........)

super_coach

First Grade
What ever it costs, flick Sheens and all his hangeroners, bring in a caretaker for the season and head hunt a bloke who can attract some players and clean out the crap

jasonl

Juniors
What ever it costs, flick Sheens and all his hangeroners, bring in a caretaker for the season and head hunt a bloke who can attract some players and clean out the crap

Intelligent comment. Fire the national coach from his club side 3 weeks into the season and bring in a caretaker.

Makes perfect sense.

Hell. maybe Chris Anderson might be available.

Intelligent comment. Fire the national coach from his club side 3 weeks into the season and bring in a caretaker.

Makes perfect sense.

Opes would sign Kimmorley, so that'd at least solve the halfback problem.

Magpies Forever

Juniors

Makes perfect sense.

Jasonl- if it was just 3 weeks into this season and just this season nobody here (well, most of us) would not be baying for somebody's blood. The trouble is it is the 3rd season in a row of sub standard performances, inconsistant selections, meaningless driffel from Sheens and Simmons and no accountability. That is why I said Simmons should go- but if Sheens does not want to push him - Sheens should be made to go too. Sheens cant seem to realise the hole Simmons is digging for him (Sheens) by his (Simmons) failure to do his job as defensive coach and his (Sheens) persistant acceptance of this failure. Just when is enough enough? Someone has to force change on a group that seem incapable of change.

Yes Sheens is national coach but realistically- before our heads swell too much - how much of that is brought on by the failure of others (eg Stuart and his brain snaps) and exhaustion of all other potential rivals? QLD were caught by the rule of not having the ARL coach to also be a state coach. So the field was somewhat diminished before the selection of Sheens came about.

jasonl

Juniors
Jasonl- if it was just 3 weeks into this season and just this season nobody here (well, most of us) would not be baying for somebody's blood. The trouble is it is the 3rd season in a row of sub standard performances, inconsistant selections, meaningless driffel from Sheens and Simmons and no accountability. That is why I said Simmons should go- but if Sheens does not want to push him - Sheens should be made to go too. Sheens cant seem to realise the hole Simmons is digging for him (Sheens) by his (Simmons) failure to do his job as defensive coach and his (Sheens) persistant acceptance of this failure. Just when is enough enough? Someone has to force change on a group that seem incapable of change.

Yes Sheens is national coach but realistically- before our heads swell too much - how much of that is brought on by the failure of others (eg Stuart and his brain snaps) and exhaustion of all other potential rivals? QLD were caught by the rule of not having the ARL coach to also be a state coach. So the field was somewhat diminished before the selection of Sheens came about.

Ok - fair enough. Point taken. The fact that Stuart was in charge in itself has cheapened the national role considerably (hell, it's not just his fragile emotional state but have you watched Cronulla go around the past couple of weeks? Sheesh - and you guys complain about Sheens?).

The fundamental problem at WT is simply defence. After three rounds you guys lead in both points for and points against. What's that telling you? So get rid of Simmons (imo he should resign out of simple embarassment). Give the troops a clear directive - either up and in or slide (imo this team should be sliding) - right now they are doing neither.

As to Sheens, well it's obvious that there's a lot of hatred directed at the man on this board and some of it might be well justified. Fact is though, for all his faults, he's a multi premiership winner who took your underweight, unfancied team of leftovers all the way in 2005.

Like I said before - fire him an exactly who are you going to replace him with? The likes of a Chris Anderson or Nathan Brown? Some untried up and comer or some basket case like Stuart or Smith?

Again, like I said "use the Army you got".

Peace bro,

Jase

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Fair enough- yep, its defence thats killing us, been killing us for 3 years and nothing has changed. Sheens wont move on Simmons so what do we do? Yep- we cant get a new squad now the season has started but we can get a new defensive coach............ (fat chance of that happening though).

jasonl

Juniors
To be honest mate I think the role of defensive coach can at times be overrated. Sure, fire Simmons and get someone new in. In the short and medium term it probably won't amount to much. The first grade culture at Wests is attack and attack, and thanks to the talents of Farrah, Marshall, Lawrence et all one arrives at this curious doctrine of "as long as we score more points etc".

Frankly its bullsh*t.

The true measure of a rugby league team is its capacity to defend (Jack Gibson may have spoken pretty slow but he knew his stuff).

And to be honest, from my limited experience, good defence comes from the simple comittment within the playing unit to play for one another.

Look at Manly last year. Rock solid on the goal line like Pacmen. Compare this with Dean Collis this weekend (who has all the gifts of a quality defender), letting in the gamebreaker.

Maybe the team themselves need to have a good sit down and work out what they want from the game - like Parramatta did a few seasons back.

Work it out themselves.

Just my 2 cents.

super_coach

First Grade
After the sharks effort on sunday, Stuart put his hand up and said we are all to blame, me the players and the rest of the coaching staff. Have we ever heard our man accept any of the blame--never.

He came out and said they had spent the majority of the off season working on their defense, it is now worse at anytime in the past three years. A quality side in form will put 75 on us.

All the things that have held us back for three years are still their bigger than ever. Iam sure Sheens can coach and coach bloody good, but its time to move on he and all his mates are stale as a month old loaf of bread.As silly as it might seem a bloke like Anderson might be good for a year or two. We need new and fresh ideas

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was interested in how Nathan Brown would have went as our coach.

He was very good with defence, and lets face it, the tigers don't have problem with attack, I think it'd be a situation he would have flourished in. Huddersfield were similar their last few seasons, poor defence, their attack was average. Now they're in the top 4 I think for the first time since ...f**k... probably World War 1.

Can't believe we let that great opportunity slip by. Even if he were hired just to be the defence coach til Sheens' contract ended, would've given Brown enough time to build rapport and respect with all players and staff.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Well, with any luck, as Sheens is threatening to take all his coasching people with him, we may have a total clean out of this oh so successful bunch. But, since Longmuir seems to be in the gun and about to be fired rather than WT board actually addressing the problem., nothing will happen, things will stay the same as the "Teflon Tim admiration, spin and mediocre results club".

If Teflon and Simmons win, I've had it- I'm withdrawing any interest in WT until a new regime comes in.

Latest posts