What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

who has played American football?

Misanthrope

Staff member
I played a fair bit at high school as... I'm not sure, lol. Offensive something or other, I ran around knocking guys out of the ball carrier's way. I played for two years, but damned if I paid any attention to the rules.

camsmith

Juniors
CWBush that position is most likely a full back, leading the way for tailback... :D

Not a glamorous position lol.. but heaps of fun if you like banging heads.

yankeerugger

Juniors
I'm american, so I suppose I don't count!

Played 11 man (standard gridiron) in Jr. High, and played 8 man in high school, would have played in college, but an injury kept me out. After college, I regretted not playing after high school (unfinished buisness) and picked up Rugby (union) as a fill in.... Preferred it MUCH to gridiron. I only regret that I didn't pick up rugby earlier. This is what inspires me to coach youth rugby.... Either code of rugby is IMHO FAR supperior to gridiron.

yankeerugger

Juniors
Yes, I live in america (born and raised). Played rugby after college (too late in life to start really) and had coached rugby for a while. Don't any more... Look to start a youth league when my son gets a bit older.

Collateral

Coach
I heard that some colleges over there give out scholarship for rugby players if they have a team so I was interested in that. I'd love to of been born and raised over there so I could of played gridiron.

Fin077

Juniors
I played about 10 or 12 years ago in a junior team (full pads, helmet etc).

From memory I decided to play rugby after that so didnt end up sticking with it, although I'm thinking about going back this year. So if you play for a team let me know!..lol

Cupid Stunt

Fin077 said:

From memory I decided to play rugby after that so didnt end up sticking with it, although I'm thinking about going back this year. So if you play for a team let me know!..lol

What area?

yankeerugger

Juniors
very few colleges/universities offer scholarships for rugby. A few of the top schools, as it is not an NCAA recognized sport. Nearly all of the top rugby colleges, it is still a club sport.

Fin077

Juniors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin077

What area?

Inner south west sydney.

aysi

Juniors
Hi

I played US Football with the Bondi Raiders from 85-88,4 of the best years of my life,went to three grand finals and won two.

I think they still play in Sydney,we did not play NFL rules,it was collage rules with the wider hash marks

Great great fun,and the Great Fred Burson was the coach for two of those four years

Cupid Stunt

Fin077 said:
Inner south west sydney.

Does that place you around Bankstown, Fairfield, Liverpool, Campbelltown?

Buggered if I know... Either way go here, http://www.wspirates.com/ , send the odd email off & you'll be a part of the Silver & Black pack in no time. Good bunch of guys & the best Head Coach you could ask for.

No bias though... ;-)

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
i remember when i was 16 (about 5 years ago) and we had 13 players, 12 were from my school..we asked our coach if we could move to campbelltown, he told us the following.

- need to make the council give us a training field

- access to lights and etc.

he said we would have no chance since the councils dont really care for the sport, so we had to drive every day to Craik Park tuesday and thursdays..its only a 25min drive so it wasnt all bad...only complaint was during the summer offseason, there was a farm not too far from the field..and that place stunk horribly..

the heat + chicken poo = most foul smell ever.
-------

Cupid when do the signups begin? im playing soccer and thats just boring..i feel like getting smashed lol.

Fin077

Juniors
yeah, when I played we didnt have all that many guys either....alot of guys played bother sides..

Cupid Stunt

It's as much the managerial side of things as players as far as starting a club. It sounds unimportant but in the grand scheme of things the people who run the show are worth more than the players.

To be honest I also think that a team out of Campbelltown would be better than one out of Austral. The amount of Islanders you could choose from to create both an O & D line is a salivating thought & all the out of season league/union players would make for a hell of a strong team. But as Rocco said, it all comes back to council.

Rego starts around June-ish from memory. I wouldn't quote me on that though. Send an email off to Ian, he'll know exactly when.

Who are you playing soccer for & what AA? Not that ghey purple side? :lol: