1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

WHO IS GRIFFINS ASSISTANT NEXT YEAR

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by J.moz, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

Looks to me like Hook doesn’t want someone that could threaten his top job.

2. twinkletoes

twinkletoes Juniors

Tony Guilfoyle has been named as head of high performance...apparently worked with Griffin at broncos and Penrith.

BLM01 likes this.
  3. Old tiger 79

Old tiger 79 Juniors

God help you guys, he’s a shit merkin coach

4. Old tiger 79

Old tiger 79 Juniors

Gentle is good, he seems to have turned the broncos around somewhat now

Mjab likes this.
  5. cussy

cussy Juniors

I thinks it’s good - you would hope they have some contacts and scouts in Queensland to supplement our own juniors...can only hope I guess

6. Banjo2014

Banjo2014 Juniors

Gentle made it very clear that he does not want to be a Head Coch - told Fox NRL he is a real coach meaning an Assistant.

blacksafake likes this.
  7. boardlumps62

boardlumps62 Juniors

Well can't get away from the "Old Boys Club" thing can we but I am comfortable with this one if it happens.
    You see Peter Gentle was a St George halback 1987/88 unfortunately was involved in an accident where Geoff Selby died he was injured as was another player Shaun O'Bryan. Geoff was a star of the future unfortunately for him, his family, friends Peter Gentle and St George life was cut short.
    Yes Peter should return he might be ok.

jak, be55, Mjab and 7 others like this.
  8. Ghostrider22

Ghostrider22 Juniors

Geoff, Pete and Shaun were very good players coming through. Geoff played firsts and was a very good player, it was sad with the MVA. Certainly changed the club even then, with Pete coming back is fine a good coach:thumbsup:Let’s hope that this creates a stable environment for everyone at the club

be55, getsmarty, Banjo2014 and 2 others like this.
  9. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

I didn’t know that Peter was involved in this very tragic incident.

10. boardlumps62

boardlumps62 Juniors

Yes I never knew Geoff at all but I was impressed so much so I planted a tree with a friend of mine in recognition. I see you carve

11. redandwhite4evr

redandwhite4evr Juniors

I would have paid money to see Dirty Harry front Mary at a presser, tap him on the chest and say the immortal line " A man's got to know his limitations"- and then add -"just resign".

12. Ghostrider22

Ghostrider22 Juniors

Geoff was a good guy always had a smile he could have been anything in the game and in life but life takes us on different directions. That was a kind thought with a planting of the tree.:thumbsup:

13. boardlumps62

boardlumps62 Juniors

It might be good if Peter came back he would not be a threat to Griffin coaching Broncos plus a halfback. We still keep Head and Talau.
    Would Mat Cooper be welcome back as a trainer.

Ghostrider22 likes this.
  14. The Silverdale Phantom

The Silverdale Phantom Bench

FD4A2AE4-97C3-4C63-9E1B-3D17988C2609.jpeg
    From the web.

A lady driver was driving three of the lads home in a Datsun very early morning and swerved to miss a cat.

The vehicle collides with a tree and is smashed up along with its occupants.

Old mate was in the passenger seat, these cars were pretty tinny and lacked even basis safety features, he didn’t stand a chance.

I can’t read it properly but he’d been unlikely to have known much about it.

There’s an award named after him in the honourable sgi tradition, I think Florence and JDB won it. The hard cores would know.

One of these rare and freak deaths of a young bloke, not his fault. It’s really f**ked.

Albert was inconsolable apparently.

She wouldn’t have been the first driver to swerve to save an animal. Happens in the country quite a bit.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Lord Teddy Goodwin likes this.
  15. Ghostrider22

Ghostrider22 Juniors

Would like to see coops back at the Dragons what a Centre. Matty Head and Willie Talau overshadowed McGregor

Lord Teddy Goodwin likes this.
  16. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

Hopefully gentle in name only, this bunch need three at once with no lube.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    be55 likes this.
  17. HenryTatana

HenryTatana Juniors

I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes with Kearney, they worked together at Brisbane.

18. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer First Grade

I believe Griffin is conducting interviews for the assistant role this week.

Candidates are varied both in their abilities and desires to be, or once again be, a head coach.

Candidates - Henry, Brennan, Gentle, Georgallis, Cartwright.
    Of these, I think, Henry, Brennan and Cartwright, may still hold head coaching ambitions, whereas Gentle and Georgallis most probably dont.

Hook has a 2yr deal (club option for a 3rd I believe) and would be looking to extend that, so stability is a must for him, plus someone he can trust to not be white-anted. I think he knows already that this is his last shot to establish himself as a 'long term' coach.

If Gentle gets the nod, then I'd also be looking at Geoegallis as the CC coach. I'm not sure where Matt Head fits in with this new coaching regime tbh.

On a side note, if this was to transpire as such, we would have 4g's in our coaching ranks:
    Griffin - head coach
    Gentle - assistant coach
    Georgallis - CC coach
    Guilfoyle - head of performance

19. boardlumps62

boardlumps62 Juniors

Whats with Mat Head and the dragons women team is he the new coach?

20. Dragon David

Dragon David Juniors

Nice observation Dragonslayer. Maybe that is how things will pan out.