What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is the worst “marquee” player in the NRL and why is it Ben Hunt?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Team result stand point it'd have to be Jarryd Hayne... they fluked a GF from 8th and that's about it, missed the 8 almost every other year.
Fluked...they smashed the No.1 qualifier, absolutely maimed the Titans, and dominated the 2nd qualifier to get into the GF, in which they were narrowly beaten by a bunch of cheats. Why is that a fluke? A fluke is finding a $10 note on the ground, or landing in a barrel of dicks and coming out sucking your thumb. A fluke is Steven Bradbury winning gold because a bunch of skaters fell over, twice in a row. A fluke is not beating 3 good teams convincingly. Absolutely wild to call that a fluke.

Munky

Coach
Does Luke Brooks count?

He was on top tier money for his final contract at the Tigers wasn't he?

SBD82

Coach
Fluked...they smashed the No.1 qualifier, absolutely maimed the Titans, and dominated the 2nd qualifier to get into the GF, in which they were narrowly beaten by a bunch of cheats. Why is that a fluke? A fluke is finding a $10 note on the ground, or landing in a barrel of dicks and coming out sucking your thumb. A fluke is Steven Bradbury winning gold because a bunch of skaters fell over, twice in a row. A fluke is not beating 3 good teams convincingly. Absolutely wild to call that a fluke.
While I agree with the sentiment, you can’t give credit to the Eels then say that Bradbury was a fluke.

He was in the finals of the olympics. He had to beat a whole lot of people to get there.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
While I agree with the sentiment, you can’t give credit to the Eels then say that Bradbury was a fluke.

He was in the finals of the olympics. He had to beat a whole lot of people to get there.
I can, and I will. Bradbury would've been out in the quarters but snuck in as someone got DQed. Then in the semi, two skaters tripped over each other to allow him the final. He was last, and 4 guys fell to allow him to be the last man standing. That's why it's called doing a Bradbury. You won't catch me saying it involved no skill, because of course it did to make it that far. The definition of fluke doesn't mention skill level. But those things happening, were a series of flukes. An unlikely chance occurrence, exactly as the definition says. The Eels beating a bunch of good sides was no fluke. Bradbury winning gold, when his 10th in the 1500m was about where he was at ability -wise then, is somewhat of a fluke.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
SJ is pretty awful. The game has all this momentum in NZ and that bum has the keys to the side
It's better to be informed and reasoned, that the 2023 Dally M halfback of the year and overall runner up is not awful, but has instead struggled with injury all year, is getting older and isn't the player he was last year for those reasons.

SBD82

Coach
I can, and I will. Bradbury would've been out in the quarters but snuck in as someone got DQed. Then in the semi, two skaters tripped over each other to allow him the final. He was last, and 4 guys fell to allow him to be the last man standing. That's why it's called doing a Bradbury. You won't catch me saying it involved no skill, because of course it did to make it that far. The definition of fluke doesn't mention skill level. But those things happening, were a series of flukes. An unlikely chance occurrence, exactly as the definition says. The Eels beating a bunch of good sides was no fluke. Bradbury winning gold, when his 10th in the 1500m was about where he was at ability -wise then, is somewhat of a fluke.
I’d say the Dragons choking in the first week then playing the Titans would be roughly equivalent, wouldn’t you?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
You honestly think he's a good footballer?
Good question...and one I don't - and to be honest, Warriors fans - probably don't either.

Honestly, I don't know how to summarise his career. But not a bum...you don't win Golden Boots, POTYs at two clubs (both in years the clubs made finals), almost win a Dally M, single-handedly win Test matches if you're a bum.

A side going on a run right end of the season then not backing it up the following year is abit of a fluke to me... in fact they didn't hit form again for years following.... again fluke imo.

2010 - 12th
2011 - 14th
2012 - Spoon