What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is who (NRL "Reserve Grade")

Cryptic

Juniors
Who is the reserve grade sides for which clubs? I know Souths Logan Magpies is the Raiders but I can't work out the Storm, Broncos, Cowboys or Titans... One moment I think I have it then I see headlines like Greg Eastwood playing for Wynnum Manly and I have to rethink everything again... What's the deal?

Best guess is:

Ipswitch Jets - Titans (No idea why it isn't the Gold Coast though) as I remember Chris Walker playing for them.
Redcliff Dolphins - Broncos (As I heard they moved to the Dolphins after it previously being the Toowoomba Clydsdales).

Anyone able to confirm how it works?

Smiley

Bench
Canberra Raiders - Souths Logan Magpies
Gold Coast Titans - Tweed Heads Seagulls, Ipswich Jets
North Queensland Cowboys - Northern Pride and Mackay Cutters
Brisbane Broncos - Central Comets, Norths Devils, Wynnum Manly Seagulls, Redcliffe Dolphins and East Tigers
Manly Sea Eagles - Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles (FOGS and Colts)

Seagullsrock

Juniors
They are not reserve grade teams. Some of the teams are feeder teams and only the guys who are dual registered with the Broncos etc like Isaak Ah Mau from Ipswich will play for them if needed. At the start of the season, the Cowboys and Broncos assigned clubs that their players would play for, if they were coming back from injury etc i.e. Costigan for Souths. The Manly/Sunshine Coast arrangement is more of an affiliation as no Manly 'reserve graders' play for them. Eastwood played for Wynnum because he didn't wake up to his alarm clock.

Cryptic

Juniors
They are not reserve grade teams. Some of the teams are feeder teams and only the guys who are dual registered with the Broncos etc like Isaak Ah Mau from Ipswich will play for them if needed. At the start of the season, the Cowboys and Broncos assigned clubs that their players would play for, if they were coming back from injury etc i.e. Costigan for Souths. The Manly/Sunshine Coast arrangement is more of an affiliation as no Manly 'reserve graders' play for them. Eastwood played for Wynnum because he didn't wake up to his alarm clock.

Well they sorta are... Being there is no NSWRL reserve grade to put players in when they aren't playing first grade they have to go somewhere...

Thanks for the info all but I was sure the Storm had some sort of influence up here too... Not like you could put your extra players into the Melbourne Cup :)

XXXX Cap

Juniors
These are not "Reserve Grade" teams. They are First Grade Queensland Cup clubs. Having blokes playing for them who are signed to NRL clubs but cannot make their sides does not make them "Reserve Grade" teams.

Wynnum Manly have been a First Grade club since 1951. If the Broncos wish to place a couple of their "unwanteds" amongst a squad otherwise totally signed to Wynnum, good luck to them. However, it doesn't make Wynnum a Reserve Grade for anyone.

I don't think some people understand that the Queensland Cup is a separate competition to the NRL with totally different clubs involved.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Some are "feeder teams", some are not. The likes of Wynnum Manly and Redcliffe are definitely not feeder teams - the Broncos simply place their "extras" with them. Wynnum were assigned Jason Moon, Tom Hewitt (former Wynnum player anyway) and Greg Eastwood. That's all. Moon has played all season for them, Hewitt and Eastwood have each play one Queensland Cup game for the Gulls.

Cryptic

Juniors
I used the quotations for a reason... I'm not calling the QRL a reserve grade competition, I'm just trying to work out it's new relation to the NRL and the way SOME clubs now work with it... The Raiders and other "non-NSWRL" clubs have to send their extra first graders who aren't picked for the run on side somewhere, if they are over 20 at least...

XXXX Cap

Juniors
That's fine. There just frequently has been this label of "feeder club" or "reserve grade" applied to fiercely proud stand alone clubs the moment someone with an NRL contract turns out for them.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
What happened to the Rabbitohs and Easts Tigers?

I think there is still a relationship between them. At the start of the season, Easts younger players like Dave Tyrrell and Luke Capewell went down there to play in Under 20's. John Tamanika is another who has played for Easts in Q Cup and gone down to Souths.

Latest posts