What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should be the Australian fullback?

Who should be the Australian fullback?

• Anthony

Votes: 63 63.6%
  • Matt

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Someone else

Votes: 21 21.2%

• Total voters

Glen

Bench
The QRL should worry about winning an origin series before demanding places in the Australian side. Chris Close should shut his fat face for once

Humphrey

Juniors
Wesser would be my pick for attack and defence and solid game with no lapses of concentration which Mini and Bowen both showed over the weekend. If Mini gets picked ahead of anyone it will be on rep not form

Kiwi

First Grade
Interesting, how many people in here are saying Mini when Bowen is clearly in much better form, yet in the 5/8th poll it's all about form? Double standards?

Kiwi said:
Interesting, how many people in here are saying Mini when Bowen is clearly in much better form, yet in the 5/8th poll it's all about form? Double standards?

Of course it is, as long as it suits their selection... Its obvious the bias towards NSW still exists. So far the Cowboys were the runners up last year, and this year they are undefeated, yet they look unlikely to get anyone in the Australian side. That makes no sense at all.

On form, the Cowboys and Knights should get a few picked in the Australian side, yet I know all the NSW favourites will get a run, such as Fitzgibbon, even though their form hasn't been that good.

Mish

Juniors
Would it be predictable of me to say Wesser or Hodgeson?..................of course it would be, as they are the best.

Billy Gunn

Juniors
Bomber said:
Minichiello.

I don't agree with the comments made by Close and other former Qld Origin players either. Stuart's job is to coach Australia, not a combined Queensland-New South Wales side. He has to choose the best Australian team. If that means 14 Blues and 3 Maroons, then so be it.

What would be concerning is if 7-8 Roosters made the squad....

There will only be 2 Roosters selected - Fitzy and Mini

Wing is not in form - played very well on the weekend but needs to back it up a few weeks running.

If thurston doesn't get the 5/8 spot then he should get the Utility role his form is too hot to ignore.

Billy Gunn

Juniors
Kiwi said:

To say Bowen is in much better form is going a little far I think Mini has been down a fraction but still one of the Roosters best and played great footy

Razor

Coach
Of course it is, as long as it suits their selection... Its obvious the bias towards NSW still exists. So far the Cowboys were the runners up last year, and this year they are undefeated, yet they look unlikely to get anyone in the Australian side. That makes no sense at all.

No it doesn't. All of the Cowboys players are very good players, but they have no superstars. Some teams have superstars mixed with average players

Look several years ago. The Broncos finished 8th and got 5 players in the team - more than any other team. And they still complained about not getting enough players.

Because Bowen isn't in better form than Minichello.

OVP

Coach
Kiwi said:

Perhaps you should watch Bowen a little more closely Kiwi. Watch him when the defence rushes up to him after a long kick down field. Instead of taking on the line, he'll pass the ball so as not to get tackled. Slater does this as well.

Both will never get selected for Australia while any other decent fullback doesnt do this. Hodgson is tiny, but he always puts his body on the line, same as Wesser and Schifcofske. All of those fullbacks have better claims to gaining an Australian jersey than Bowen.

But Mini is the best by far, and thats all that matters in the selectors eyes.

Kiwi

First Grade
Razor said:
No it doesn't. All of the Cowboys players are very good players, but they have no superstars. Some teams have superstars mixed with average players

Look several years ago. The Broncos finished 8th and got 5 players in the team - more than any other team. And they still complained about not getting enough players.

Because Bowen isn't in better form than Minichello.

How can you say a team with Thurston, Bowen and Sing have now superstars in it :?.

And Bowen IS in better form than Mini.

Kiwi

First Grade
OVP said:
Perhaps you should watch Bowen a little more closely Kiwi. Watch him when the defence rushes up to him after a long kick down field. Instead of taking on the line, he'll pass the ball so as not to get tackled. Slater does this as well.

Both will never get selected for Australia while any other decent fullback doesnt do this. Hodgson is tiny, but he always puts his body on the line, same as Wesser and Schifcofske. All of those fullbacks have better claims to gaining an Australian jersey than Bowen.

But Mini is the best by far, and thats all that matters in the selectors eyes.

Lockyer did the same, and he will go down as one of the greatest to wear the number 1. Lockyer returned the ball better than anyone in broken play, but in terms of throwing his boddy at the defensive line like Mini and Hodgson do he never did it, he used his wingers for that. Bowen plays more like Lockyer did. Mini doesn't have the same ball skills and broken field running ability as Bowen, or the same speed, they are completely different styles of fullback.

Razor

Coach
Kiwi said:
How can you say a team with Thurston, Bowen and Sing have now superstars in it :?.

Sing and Bowen are very good players but not superstars

Thurston is a potential superstar but isn't quite there yet.

And Bowen IS in better form than Mini.

Watch Bowen play a bit more.

His defence isn't close to that of Minichiellos

He never runs into the defensive line.

If the Broncos could have either Bowen or Mini. Both the same amount of money. You tellign me you would rather them take Bowen than Mini?

There's at least 6 other fullbacks better than Bowen

Kiwi

First Grade
Razor said:
Sing and Bowen are very good players but not superstars

Thurston is a potential superstar but isn't quite there yet.

Watch Bowen play a bit more.

His defence isn't close to that of Minichiellos

He never runs into the defensive line.

If the Broncos could have either Bowen or Mini. Both the same amount of money. You tellign me you would rather them take Bowen than Mini?

There's at least 6 other fullbacks better than Bowen

Bowen and Sing aren't but Gidley is :lol:

Meanie

Juniors
Razor said:

Yes because

a) He's a Queenslander
b) He moreso fits the mold of fullbacks the Bronco's have had since Julian O'Neill became fullback in 1992, the "2nd 5/8's".

Kiwi

First Grade
Razor said:
I never said Gidley is a superstar. But he's a better player than Bowen and Sing.

I don't think I have enough laughs for your posts left in me, my sides are seriously hurting. I also don't think I have enough room in my sig for your continual crap.

Mr Saab

Referee
Razor said:
I never said Gidley is a superstar. But he's a better player than Bowen and Sing.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That is the classic line of the season thus far.