What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should protect soward in the centers?

Who would you like to see as the center that protects soward?

• Total voters

gtomad

Juniors
Who should protect soward in the centers? I think that wayne will pick beau scott but i would rather not see a second rower playing in the centres

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
surely the kraken will be able to help.

1231056047_kraken.jpg

SilverSteeler

Juniors
Scott and Prior would be the best choices in defense but I would rather see them play in the 2nd row. Cooper would be my choice, the best defender and a true Centre, an experienced defender and he would help out Soward immensely.

watatank

Coach
Scott will protect Soward regardless of whether he plays back row or centre.

The question is will Bennett want more insurance there like he did when he moved Prior to the back row.

I don't think we can afford to play both Prior and Scott on the one side because they're not enough of a threat in attack.

I'd like to see them persist with persist with Scott in the centres but we definitely need an injection of skill on that right edge...whether that means pairing him up with an attacking backrower like Creagh, or a skilful centre who is a good defender as well.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
As does Lockyer, so who gives a rats freckle if it helps you win games, not that you'd know a lot about that.
haha also ran just like us.

But hey if you think Lockyer being protected to so he does not have waste energy is the same as a bloke who cannot tackle all power to you.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
This is a joke right? Protect Soward? And you all wonder why the Dragons struggled in attack. Who protected Mortimer at Parra. They ran at him all finals series and he coped extremely well. Soward should take notes from this ROOKIE.

If Soward can't handle the defensive load and a kid like Mortimer can then really the guy should think twice abouty playing first grade. Saints suffered because of this protect Soward BS. They sacrificed an attacking outside back for a backrower.

In the offseason Benny should really work on Sowards defence and then they won't have this problem. I am sure Benny will and Soward will come out next season just fine. He won't need any protection. He will handle it quite well. Get Lincoln Withers to show him how to hit and they won't run at him that's for sure. Soward just needs to put in a few big hits and they will keep away from him.

Rather than cover up an obvious problem they should fix it and I am sure they will.

If Soward fixes his defence he will have no faults. He will surely be in the NSW squad as they will have no excuses then.

When is he off contract? Interested to see how much interest he gets from other clubs. If he asks for big dollars Saints should chase Thurston next season. Saints can use this as a ploy to keep Soward for less as I am sure he would rather stay at the Saints than go elsewhere.

This is a joke right? Protect Soward? And you all wonder why the Dragons struggled in attack. Who protected Mortimer at Parra. They ran at him all finals series and he coped extremely well. Soward should take notes from this ROOKIE.

If Soward can't handle the defensive load and a kid like Mortimer can then really the guy should think twice abouty playing first grade. Saints suffered because of this protect Soward BS. They sacrificed an attacking outside back for a backrower.

In the offseason Benny should really work on Sowards defence and then they won't have this problem. I am sure Benny will and Soward will come out next season just fine. He won't need any protection. He will handle it quite well. Get Lincoln Withers to show him how to hit and they won't run at him that's for sure. Soward just needs to put in a few big hits and they will keep away from him.

Rather than cover up an obvious problem they should fix it and I am sure they will.

If Soward fixes his defence he will have no faults. He will surely be in the NSW squad as they will have no excuses then.

When is he off contract? Interested to see how much interest he gets from other clubs. If he asks for big dollars Saints should chase Thurston next season. Saints can use this as a ploy to keep Soward for less as I am sure he would rather stay at the Saints than go elsewhere.
Some halves can defend really well, Lincoln Withers was one. With that said, they are few and far between. Their stature, or lack thereof, means they will always be a target for someone who is 6 inches taller and 30kgs heavier.

Look at the teams who have won the GF recently, and they have all had halves protected by someone who is a big ugly tackling machine:
09: Cronk is protected by Johnson
08: Orford is protected by Watmough
07: Cronk/Johnson
06: Lockyer is protected by Carroll

It would be great to have a half who can attack and defend brilliantly. The reality is they are few and far between. The last good defender who played in the halves in the NRL I can think of is Scott Hill, but he was also a lock so it came with the territory.

Some halves can defend really well. Lincoln Withers only learnt to defend when he moved to hooker and was forced to throw his body around. Look at footage of him prior to St George, he was a turnstile. Defensive halves, they are few and far between. Their stature, or lack thereof, means they will always be a target for someone who is 6 inches taller and 30kgs heavier.

Look at the teams who have won the GF recently, and they have all had halves protected by someone who is a big ugly tackling machine:
09: Cronk is protected by Johnson
08: Orford is protected by Watmough
07: Cronk/Johnson
06: Lockyer is protected by Carroll

It would be great to have a half who can attack and defend brilliantly. The reality is they are few and far between. The last good defender who played in the halves in the NRL I can think of is Scott Hill, but he was also a lock so it came with the territory.

Jono1987

Juniors
Personally I don't think there should be anyone out there protecting Soward. We just lose too much in attack by having Scott out there and if rumours are true Lett will be playing on that wing, we need to get ball out to him. I'd like to see Tagive or Boyd given a crack at the right centre position.

I'm not concerned with teams running through Soward from time to time because I can accept that will happen. But when they do this with Scott at centre it just seems like a waste. We all know our attack needs to improve next year.

Doug2234

First Grade
If Soward wants to play NRL then he has to learn how to f**king tackle!!!

FFS why is he entitled to being protected??? Dan Hunt drops the ball sometimes but i dont see anyone assisting him to hold the ball every hit up! He has to learn to defend for himself and he will be a better player.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade

Melbourne isolated and ran over Mortimer. They did the same to Robson. Both could have used some protection.

Latest posts