What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who to Re-sign? - priorities

Parrasque

Juniors
Out of the following 'name' players list in order from who we should definately re-sign(1) and who we should not really bother signing (14)

This should give us an idea of what the fans want

The Players: Dean Widders, Wade McKinnon, Aaron Cannings, Ben Smith, Paul Stringer, Ashley Graham, John Morris, Luke Burt, Brett Delaney, Henry Perenara, Adam Peek, Fuifui Moimoi, Jack Afamasaga and Chad Robinson.

My priorities:
  1. Ben Smith
  2. Wade McKinnon
  3. Fuifui Moimoi
  4. Paul Stringer
  5. Chad Robinson
  6. Luke Burt
  7. Dean Widders (this guy has put alot of weight on)
  8. Brett Delaney
  9. John Morris
  10. Henry Perenara
  11. Adam Peek
  12. Aaron Cannings (Free up the cap)
  13. Jack Afamasaga
  14. Ashley "I shouldn't be playing football" Graham

Glen

Bench
Each player has their pros and cons. Ben Smith and Widders both had incredible seasons last year but have started slowly so far in 2006. Both will need to perform consistently to be top priorities. I still think Smith is a future rep centre though.

I'd hate to see McKinnon go but we do have Reddy backing him up, so we could afford to lose him if necessary. Everyone is pretty keen on Delaney as a future star so his signing should be fairly important. I haven't seen much of him in lower grades and I think he was solid in his FG games, but still unproven. FFMM can be devastating but can also spend a lot of time on suspension.

Cannings has gotta go, as does Graham. Both have had their chances. I guess a lot of other guys like Burt, Morris, Peek etc will be largely depending on Hagan's opinions and plans for them.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
1. Jamie Lyon (it is a re-signing, he's still ours)
2. Fuifui Moimoi
3. Brett Delaney
4. Jack Afamasaga
5. Ben Smith
6. Dean Widders
7. Henry Perenara (and Marcus, I think he only signed for one more year)
8. Wade McKinnon

I wouldn't bother with any of the others.

yy_cheng

Coach
Must Resign
1. Ben Smith (Just ahead of Froggy due to 1st grade experience)
2. Brett Delaney
3. Jamie Lyon (Our options at 5/8th are either not ready yet or just doesn't have the x factor)
4. Dean Widders (I don't think we have any player that is like him in the juniors)

Like to resign but have their position covered.
5. Fuifui Moimoi (Another x factor but he could spend more time off the field if suspended)
6. Wade McKinnon (One of my fave players but Joel could fill in and will be cheaper)

Offer a contract
7. Paul Stringer (Great Workman but hopefully the young'uns will cover his loss)
8. Jack Afamasaga (Potential but unfulfilled)
9. Mateo (I believe he is off contract too! Same as Jack)

Redback71

First Grade
ok ive ranked them out of 10 (10 being keep and 1 being let go)

Dean Widders, 10
Wade McKinnon, 8
Aaron Cannings, 3
Ben Smith, 10
Paul Stringer, 6
Ashley Graham, 1
John Morris, 7
Luke Burt, 7
Brett Delaney, 10
Henry Perenara, 5
Adam Peek, 5
Fuifui Moimoi, 9
Jack Afamasaga 7
Chad Robinson. 6

if it means keeping jamie lyon id release every player above that scored 6 or less.

stiffmeister

Bench
Look, I'm not really answering your question, but I'd build the team around Hindmarsh, T Smith, Tahu, & Grothe who are proven performers. I'd also go all out to get Lyon back quick smart. I'd probably keep McKinnon for now & throw unproven young players in the mix ie Inu, etc. I'd get rid of the old ones and the has beens under the Hagen era.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Before the season started, I wouldnt have signed McKinnon, But now after the 4 games, I think we should re-sign McKinnon, cause he's really been an inspiration, he's tried his best week in week out. What a player.

Y2Eel

First Grade
stiff-meister eel said:
Look, I'm not really answering your question, but I'd build the team around Hindmarsh, T Smith, Tahu, & Grothe who are proven performers. I'd also go all out to get Lyon back quick smart. I'd probably keep McKinnon for now & throw unproven young players in the mix ie Inu, etc. I'd get rid of the old ones and the has beens under the Hagen era.

I was thinking the same thing tonight.. they nees to set the team around hindy and timmy...

Avenger

Immortal
1. Jamie Lyon

2. Feleti Mateo

3. Brett Delaney

4. Kris Inu (upgrade)

5. Jarryd Hayne (upgrade)

6. Fui Fui Moi Moi

The rest who are off contract I seriously woudn't re-sign.

With Morris I would remortgage my house give him the money and get him to dig a hole in my backyard for a pool. He is SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The_Coach

Juniors
I'd keep Delenay, McKinnon, Mateo, and try and get Lyon back.

I wouldn't have resigned Ben Smith until it was certain we couldn't get Lyon back. I'm not impressed with him (Smith) at all ATM.

I said 3 weeks ago Widders would be useless this year and now others are starting to see it. His a one trick pony and his best is behind him, let some other team pay overs for him.

The_Coach

Juniors
Jake the snake said:
Ben Smith is not Mobile enough at 3/4

Not just that, he can't get around or outside his opposite man. When you think about all the tries Ben has scored they have all been because of Timmy. Either a great pass or grubber.

Delaney is better than Smith and now he has his chance to prove it.

Pazza

First Grade
The_Coach said:
Not just that, he can't get around or outside his opposite man. When you think about all the tries Ben has scored they have all been because of Timmy. Either a great pass or grubber.

Ofcourse its because of Timmy, just to give you a hint timmy is the play maker. His job is to set up players, Ben Smith is a centre. His job is to convert this brilliance into points. Ben has a great strike rate at doing that. Name a brilliant centre who doesnt have a good pair of halves inside him? Even when we had Jamie Lyon and David Vaeaiki they where pretty ineffective without Buetner and Taylor.

Stagger eel

Staff member
this changes from week to week but my top 5 priorities are as follows.

1 Brett Delaney
2 Wade McKinnon
3 Ben smith
4 Fui Fui
5 Dean widders.

The_Coach

Juniors
Pazza said:
Ofcourse its because of Timmy, just to give you a hint timmy is the play maker. His job is to set up players, Ben Smith is a centre. His job is to convert this brilliance into points. Ben has a great strike rate at doing that. Name a brilliant centre who doesnt have a good pair of halves inside him? Even when we had Jamie Lyon and David Vaeaiki they where pretty ineffective without Buetner and Taylor.

Ben can't create his own holes or breaks, he needs Timmy to do it. Great centres get around their man of their own skill. Tahu, Gasnier, Hodges, Tonga, Lyon, and even Inglis can create something without the need for their 6 or 7 to throw them a brilliant pass.

Anyone can run wide and catch a awesome pass from Timmy to score. Infact the person doing that should be Hindmarsh.

Parraren

Bench
Guys don't forget not all top class centres are the type that can beat a man one on one with flashy footwork.

For example, Bowman is an excellent centre, but a very different type of centre to Gasnier & Tahu.

I think Benny has shown he has the "potential" to be a very good centre for us but let's not forget, he's still very young and will make plenty of mistakes. He has shown that he is a very good finisher and a pretty solid defender, but obviously he's still got alot of things to work on in his game. Give him time and I think he will get better and better.

Latest posts