What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who was that smart fellow

MaxB

Juniors
About ten years ago when the opposition team's defense line was too strong to penitrate, a very smart player kicked a field goal within 10 meters of the goal posts and while everyone else was dumb struck and gazing skyward wondering why he had done that, he scuttled in amongst them, ran between the goal posts, caught the ball as it landed, and grounded it.
He was awarded one point for the field goal, four for the try which was later converted and the referee awarded his team seven points.
It was the only time I have seen this done during the past fifty or so years.
Can you tell me the name of the player, that of his club and
has this practice been outlawed or aren't today's coaches smart enough to suggest it to their players?

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no way i can believe that story. The ball is dead once points are scored until the opposition restarts play.

By no means am i saying it didn't happen though. Refs are known to make big f**k ups

macnaz

Staff member
Then after he scored Max he got hit late and was awarded a 9 point try ;)

Motu Tony scored a try against WT in similar circumstances late in a game at Campbelltown in 2002. The Warriors had a crack at field goal which narrowly missed and the ball stopped in the in-goals. The Tigers players didn't bother chasing the ball assuming either that the field goal was successful or the ball went dead. Motu Tony realised the play was still alive and ambled through to score. The Tigers were utter dross that year and still managed to win 7 games which puts this season's performance into perspective.

MaxB

Juniors
I assure you it did happen just as I described above, and it has been mentioned on the Footy Show twice to my knowledge. the thing that bugs me is if it hasn't been banned why aren't other players doing it

magpie4ever

First Grade
I assure you it did happen just as I described above, and it has been mentioned on the Footy Show twice to my knowledge. the thing that bugs me is if it hasn't been banned why aren't other players doing it

Max, give the shit away; it will kill you. You can't have a double play in league - only an additional goal kick if there is an act of foul play in scoring or after scoring a try.

If it is a successful field goal the play is dead until it recommences with a kick from half way.

Sorry buddy but it is an urban myth.

MacDougall

First Grade
I remember like jeez 20 odd years ago I think it was Darryl Halligan kicking a field goal accidentally that his side scored off and the referee awarding the one point instead of the try and Halligan (I think it was Halligan) and the other players freaking out that he didn't intend to drop kick it but only did it in the process of being tackled. I'm SURE that happened. May not have been Halligan though.

Latest posts