What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

who will smith take to the knights

fish eel

Immortal
bluesbreaker said:
You honestly were happy with Tahu last year? Have you ever watched his earlier games for the Knights? Considering you're paying him 300k (allegedly), i'd [SIZE=-1]be pretty f**king upset with what he dished up last year.[/SIZE] He did play [SIZE=-1]better toward the end of the year, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]but he was nothing for most of last year (in comparison to how good he was for us), [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]but I guess Johns makes anyone look good ;-)[/SIZE][SIZE=-1].
[/SIZE]

I was more than happy

I thought he was great. Very strong in defence, which had me concerned at the start of the season, and with the ball, he got better as the year went on and started to form a good combination with his winger.

bluesbreaker

Bench
:lol: Ah yeah, I forgot about that little chestnut of an assertion by certain Parra fans. brian Smith just magically turned Tahu into a good defender!

... When in reality, the Gidley/Tahu combination was one of the best defensive combinations in the NRL (statistically).

PB

Bench
Didn't Tahu win the Clubs player of the year award (tied with Cayless) last year?

Not bad in a minor premiership winning side.. And if that was him playing crap.... look out on saturday is all i can say.....

Suitman

Post Whore
I would have liked to have seen Tahu get more ball.
I think the forwards failed to lay the foundations too many times to give us forward momentum and create a bit more space for Tahu.

He wasn't fully able to use his pace and step on enough occassions with room to move.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
bluesbreaker said:
:lol: Ah yeah, I forgot about that little chestnut of an assertion by certain Parra fans. brian Smith just magically turned Tahu into a good defender!

Not sure what certain fans you are talking about but I know many who weren't sure how he would handle the centres defensively. I was surprised. Most Knights fans would have had us believe he couldn't defend at all.

... When in reality, the Gidley/Tahu combination was one of the best defensive combinations in the NRL (statistically).

Statistics can show many things......

The Colonel

Immortal
PB said:
Didn't Tahu win the Clubs player of the year award (tied with Cayless) last year?

Correct.

Not bad in a minor premiership winning side.. And if that was him playing crap.... look out on saturday is all i can say.....

With any luck....

bluesbreaker

Bench
The Colonel said:
Well we saw what happened when Johns wasn't on the field so you got one thing right.

How do you replace the best ever player? Pretty hard i'd say! And as I said before, Parra could not win the premiership without Hindmarsh, and I was proven correct.

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:
I would have liked to have seen Tahu get more ball.
I think the forwards failed to lay the foundations too many times to give us forward momentum and create a bit more space for Tahu.

He wasn't fully able to use his pace and step on enough occassions with room to move.

Suity

I agree.

And, in some games when we carved up the opposition, and I mean really carved them up, if my memory is correct, Tahu was out injured, ie the home match v Nth Queensland and the away game at Newcastle.

I would have loved to have seen the damage he could have caused in those games.

The other aspect to Tahu's year was it was a little bit disrupted. Just when he was really starting to hit his straps as a centre, he popped his elbow v Cronulla.....he was killing them that night.

The Colonel

Immortal
bluesbreaker said:
How do you replace the best ever player? Pretty hard i'd say! And as I said before, Parra could not win the premiership without Hindmarsh, and I was proven correct.

I'd use the word "arguably" in there. It is hard. And yes Hindy not being in the team didn't exactly help. But then again fifty-fifty shots aren't that hard to predict....... it isn't really rocket science.

Choppy71

Who's ever said Tahu is a good centre? He's an excellent finisher, but doesn't have the skills for centre. Despite how you all go on about how good he was last year, his 05 was the second worst year of his career (behind an injury riddled 04).

Would take him any day over Carmont or Gidley without hessitation....

eelsta

Bench
bluesbreaker said:
Who's ever said Tahu is a good centre? He's an excellent finisher, [SIZE=-1]but doesn't have the skills for centre.[/SIZE] Despite how you all go on a[SIZE=-1]bout how good he was last year,[/SIZE] his 05 was the second worst year of his career ([SIZE=-1]behind an injury riddled 04).[/SIZE]

according to you:roll: not us!!!