What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will win?

Who will win the Tri-nations 2006

• Total voters
Kiwis

Australia to come up with another 'Injuries' excuse even though the Kiwis are missing more talent than them

Sharkie™

Juniors
my heart tells me that i want Aust to win, but my brain tells me for the good of RL i want to see either GB or NZ get up but i just want a close and exciting series.

cant wait till it starts

eels_fan_01

Bench
I think Australia will win.

The best thing for rugby league would be Great Britian winning it then we would have a world class tournament and international rugby league would be back up there with other sports.

mxlegend99

Referee
Marshall_magic said:
Kiwis

Australia to come up with another 'Injuries' excuse even though the Kiwis are missing more talent than them
Ummmm.

Correct me if i'm wrong. But Lockyer and Joey were injured last year. The 2 best halves in the world. SBW and Benji don't even come close to the same importance.

This year we're without Mini, Joey and Kennedy. We will still win it with ease.

ledzep

Bench
mxlegend99 said:
Ummmm.

Correct me if i'm wrong. But Lockyer and Joey were injured last year. The 2 best halves in the world. SBW and Benji don't even come close to the same importance.

Kiwis beat Australia WITH Joey and Lockyer in the first game last year

mxlegend99

Referee
They both played like crap and didn't have any sort of combination going. Look how awesome they carved up earlier in the year after they had a combination going.

Throwing 2 great players together isn't automatically a recipe for success. If neither had been injured, come last years final... they would've won with ease. Plus this year we have picked form players... a change from usual where we pick the same team and just change injuries/retirements. We have our best playing. We've kept combinations in Lockyer/Thurston/Smith/Hunt etc.

JJ

Immortal
mxlegend99 said:
Ummmm.

injuries are part of the game, as we all know Aust have greater depth so there can't be any excuses...

The final was completely comprehensive (and we beat you earlier when Joey and Lockyer were playing), no halves would have made a difference, it was a bath...

Mini hasn't played all year, Kennedy has retired from all football, and Joey from rep football...

If you're saying you're missing Kennedy, you might as well claim you're missing Sterling, Meninga, Lewis, Kenny, and Beetson FFS :roll:

mxlegend99

Referee
JJ said:
injuries are part of the game, as we all know Aust have greater depth so there can't be any excuses...
We used a guys from teams that failed to make the top 8. We used a lot of guys out of form. Just as NSW did this year. For a change, this team was picked on form and not loyalty.

JJ said:
The final was completely comprehensive (and we beat you earlier when Joey and Lockyer were playing), no halves would have made a difference, it was a bath...
You did beat us. You often do in the first game. And it was really telling how crap Lockyer and Joey were when Gower came onto the field and it was the first spark in attack we had. Joey knocked on a few times and really didn't combine with Lockyer at all. Hell, even earlier this year his combination wasn't to Lockyer as a 5/8... Lockyer moved to fullback when Hunt got injured. They just didn't gel well together.

JJ said:
If you're saying you're missing Kennedy, you might as well claim you're missing Sterling, Meninga, Lewis, Kenny, and Beetson FFS :roll:
Except for Kennedy only retired at the end of this year. It's not even close to being the same :crazy:

We played pathetic in the closing game last year. And in turn, it has changed our selecting methods... we have gone for guys in form for a change. Guys who deserve their spots. We've stuck with combinations that worked well this year... we have the QLD combination of Hunt/Lockyer/Thurston/Smith. Berrigan and Hodges fit into that aswell. We have a great forward pack... and nearly the whole team is made of teams that made the top 8.

Micistm

Bench
My heart says Kiwis, head says Aussie...but I never expected the Kiwis to do what they did last year, so you never know. There's no reason why the Kiwis can't compete well if they give it their all

ledzep

Bench
mxlegend99 said:
You did beat us. You often do in the first game. And it was really telling how crap Lockyer and Joey were when Gower came onto the field and it was the first spark in attack we had. Joey knocked on a few times and really didn't combine with Lockyer at all. Hell, even earlier this year his combination wasn't to Lockyer as a 5/8... Lockyer moved to fullback when Hunt got injured. They just didn't gel well together.
So obviously Vagana and Jones had played heaps of footy together

Sir Biffo

Bench
Australia will win the tri nations and win comfortably. I don't expect them to lose a game. The Pom's will be the big surprise packet I think and make the final where Australia will account for them quite easily. Kiwi's will be extremely competitive in their games at home but then fall away when they have to travel to Australia.

mxlegend99 said:
Ummmm.

Australia had about 15 halfbacks to chose from, so what losing Joey going to do. they got about the same amount of 5/8's so what is losing Locky going to do. Australia have greater depth and they used the excuse of injury to cover up the fact that they got owned by the kiwis. Gower and Barrett in the halves is probably equal to Jones and Vagana

vippo19 said:
There might be 15 halves, but none are anywhere as near as good as Joey..

Australia should not need to rely on one halfback, they should have others who can get the job done. They were simply out played and out coached, injury was no excuse even if it was Joey and Lockyer, they played with both of them and got belted

mxlegend99

Referee
Well, when we picked a form team with existing combinations... look what happened.

Lockyer and Joey didn't play well together in Game 1... and we lost. This year, we picked our team on form, ontop of sticking with combinations of players. And Thurston absolutely carved up.

My only concern is Lockyer, Thurston, Hunt and Smith having extra games to work on their combinations. NSW are going to be in for a hell of a time next year.

alien

Referee
nothing iz for certain but i think australia will win the tri nations tournament

Latest posts