What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would have thought...

Marcus

Juniors
Who would have thought of the amount of people that have gone to some of these RWC games.

Scanning through some of the old LWOS posts I can across some of these quotes.

I saw an ad today that said there are 1.2 million seats to be filled for the Union WC.
Am I the only person on earth who thinks that the ARU are dreaming that they can sell that many tickets.

haha, i think its going to be hilarious when the crowd figures are released, thats if they release them. as union is not really a major sport to anybody who matters, i expect alot of crowds of under 5000, and this is to games with the big guns in it. honestly, who is going to go watch france v south africa, let alone usa v some african or pacific nation country. it doesnt have that much appeal. and with union being the countries 3rd most popular winter sport, i wonder if australia can afford to hold the whole thing. ah well, who cares

To think that 48 games of Rugby in Australia will attract good crowds over 4 weeks is a laugh. People have to remember that in average times, only 2 top level rahrah games are played per week in Australia. To think that they can jack it up to 12 and still attract good crowds is laughable, it just won't happen.

Those are just quotes from posters, but even some parts of the media were saying the same thing too.

I have to admit, I have been gladly surprised at the amount of people that have attended this world cup. I thought it would do well, but I didn't expect it to be this good.

One of the best decisions that the ARU made was to switch games previously scheduled for Ballymore to Lang Park.

The attendances for games at Lang Park have been:
46,793 (France V Fiji)
30,990 (Fiji V USA)
48,778 (Australia V Romania)
46,796 (Scotland V USA)

One of the best figures was for the Fiji V USA game. 31k showed up on a wednesday for a 5pm start. To go by one of those quotes, that game should have got under 5k.

The lowest crowd of the world cup so far has been 16,906 for South Africa V Uruguay at Perth. While that was low, still the people in Perth turned out for the Samoa V Uruguay match which got 22,020 for a wednesday night, which was a great effort considering the hold aussie rules has on the city.

One thing is for certain in this world cup is that no one is complaining about the low crowds. The posters and the media who were taking fire at how the union world cup would draw little crowds to matches, have not even spoke a word on this matter. Instead as expected they changed to other matters and have taken shots at some of the scorelines. Anything negative they can shout about, they will do it, in order to stop union from progressing in the Australian sporting landscape.

Some league media folk and some rules folk have all been taking fire at the scorelines of the RWC. No matter how much negative press they field on the matter and how they tell people not to care about it, they still can't stop people from buying tickets. I read some AFL media folk say how its pointless to turn up to matches that finish with big blowouts. I'm thinking what is this person going on about, considering all the blowouts that the AFL grandfinals have had this pass decade you wonder whether that person really knows what he is talking about.

Despite many attempts by people and media to put union down, it has backfired in their faces. Maybe its because people these days think for themselves, or it could be people are just sick of the same crap from the same people. Whatever it is, tickets are still been bought regardless of the negative press in some corners.

As a union fan, all I can say is that this RWC has been the best thing to ever happen to the sport in this country. I've never seen and heard so many people talk about the sport, or wear the jerseys, or attend games in the 10s of thousands. Its the kind of thing I wanted to see, and I'm seeing it now, cause I want the ARU to start up a national competition because there are people out there in Australia that do in fact like union, and not just the league and the rules.

dimitri

First Grade
how is a national competition with no history and no prestige going to compete with league and AFL

:roll: :roll: :roll:

REMEMBER yawnion only has EVENTS not competitions

Marcus

Juniors
dimitri said:
how is a national competition with no history and no prestige going to compete with league and AFL

Wait and watch dimitri :D Remember this world cup was suppose to struggle for crowds.

Anythings possible 8)

iggy plop

First Grade
Marcus said:
dimitri said:

Wait and watch dimitri :D Remember this world cup was suppose to struggle for crowds.

Anythings possible 8)

Who said the Yawn-a-thon was supposed to struggle for crowds? We just love events and the union has been marketed as an event, much like the Olympics.

Put Georgia v Namibia on in Tassie this time next year and look at the crowd figures then. In fact just about any of the games would struggle as a standalone match, much like club rugby.

Union is an event sport in this country and always will be.

Wait and watch marcus.

bayrep

Juniors
Good points Marcus and I think the crowd turn out has been fantastic and comes across great on TV.

I have been impressed with the crowds, and have stated that people are turning up for the event and occasion. But you would have to think that people are turning up for the game as well even if it is only half the crowd. I am getting tired of the negative crap that people/fans and media can dish out. Its funny how egos can feel so threatened because a rival code may come across to the world as a good sporting event.

The crowds have only added to the game. As for stating that the mexican wave is through bordem is a load of crap, I have been to league, cricket, union and soccer games where they have all done it, not becuase the game was boring but becuase the crowd tends to be hyped up enjoying the occasion there is a big crowd and watching it in action with a wave is an amazing sight.

The crowds are only going to get bigger and the critics louder in the hope of dulling the gloss that RWC has brought for its self. I am begining to believe that the louder these guys rant the more jealous.

I hope that if and when the next league cup is just as big if not bigger than this RWC. I hope that league puts aside the ego and takes some lessons from the organisation of this event and imporve on it.

bayrep

Juniors
bazza said:
bayrep said:
The crowds have only added to the game. As for stating that the mexican wave is through bordem is a load of crap

Actually - it has been scientifically shown that the likelihood of a mexican wave starting is proportional to the boredom of spectators

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s720551.htm

Basiclly Baz, what a load of crap, at not one of the events I have been to was the wave casued because of boredom. As I have stated in my previous post the crowd was hyped the games were good the crowd was large and everyone got into the whole event.

It shows how desperate some league fans are to prove that union is boring by bringing this sad little article up. Shell we throw it in leagues face when we have our next world cup ? just as league is doing with the score blow outs that are occuring now.

incredible_holc

Juniors
hmmmm well where has there been mexican waves when there is something exciting on the field???? never.

That thing is right, Mexican waves appear in the lulls of the game, or in the RWC case the whole time

bazza

Immortal
bayrep said:
bazza said:
bayrep said:
The crowds have only added to the game. As for stating that the mexican wave is through bordem is a load of crap

Actually - it has been scientifically shown that the likelihood of a mexican wave starting is proportional to the boredom of spectators

Basiclly Baz, what a load of crap, at not one of the events I have been to was the wave casued because of boredom. As I have stated in my previous post the crowd was hyped the games were good the crowd was large and everyone got into the whole event.

It shows how desperate some league fans are to prove that union is boring by bringing this sad little article up. Shell we throw it in leagues face when we have our next world cup ? just as league is doing with the score blow outs that are occuring now.

You made a statement that was based on your own theary with nothing to back it up.

I provided a scientific study that contridicted your theory.

From my own anecdotal evidence, I have seen waves at cricket and rugby league games - and from memory they were during the less spectacular parts of the game. Next time you see a wave at a cricket game - I am almost certain it will stop for a while if there is a wicket or a boundary.

Are there any other scientific studies that you think are a load of crap?

bayrep

Juniors
incredible_holc said:
hmmmm well where has there been mexican waves when there is something exciting on the field???? never.

That thing is right, Mexican waves appear in the lulls of the game, or in the RWC case the whole time

:lol: is that why the crowd is undulating for the full 80 mins. I thought it was my TV.

Lull in the game doesnt mean it is boring or stipulate how long that lull is.

Bengal

Juniors
That’s a fair assessment Marcus.

I’ve been extremely impressed with the turnout. The ARU have done an awesome job, as a League fan there are lessons from your guys we could learn, in regards to promotion and marketing of our sport.

As League fans we forget that it wasn’t that long ago Wallaby test matches couldn’t even sell out Concorde Oval.
As you say ‘who’d have thought’
A decade ago you’d have been committed if someone had mentioned to your average League fan that the Wallabies would play (regularly) in front of crowds as big as the biggest League games.

Heck a League fan would have died of laughter at the very thought of a game of Union between such minnows as Fiji V USA attracting a 30 000 odd crowd in Australia.
But then again, not even a Unionite would have entertained such a thought and if they had, I’m sure even they would’ve been questioning their sanity!

The thing is every year Union (thanks to good management) advances, one way or another. Every year we (Leaguies) look for holes in Union’s advancement. Current holes include TV ratings (lower that League or high for Union one week, down heaps the next). Other holes include lop-sided matches, the World Cup not being the real deal etc etc.

However every year what we put up in comparison to Union gets bigger and bigger. Ten years ago if Union had sold out the SFS we’d have said it’s a one-off and we’d get that several times a season. Five years ago Union sells out several games a season, we’d have said, 'yeah but their ratings are garbage'.
Present day, Union crowds have increased out of sight; ratings are as good as they’ve ever been, Leagues comeback is along the lines of ‘the ratings are a one-off, they can’t be sustained’, (remembering that the battle cry against Union crowds has long since been lost i.e. they are no longer one-offs).

There is a pattern here, the way things are going in five years time as a response to Union’s now sky-high ratings the average Leaguies catch cry could well be ‘so what if Union have got five of the most watched TV programs in Australia, we’ve still got the Number One rated show!’

The point is every year we’re clutching at straws but every year those straws get smaller and smaller.

It is a well known fact in sport that for success to happen you have to get the front office right.

While the NRL’s front office has improved markedly in recent times one has to hand it to Union, for the sport to be doing as well as it is, with the product you’ve got, speaks volumes of the abilities of your administrators.

Basically as a Leaguie we should be a lot more alarmed than what I feel we are concerning Rugby Union, because you guys are slowly (but surely) sneaking up on us and all we’re doing is burying our heads in the sand as a lot of the posts you have quoted Marcus have pointed out.

Bengal

Juniors
Now this is major news!!!

The ARU will now make another $15m out of the World Cup.

Yep the World Cup has been so successful the IRB have had to reassess their forecasts and thanks again to John O'Neills savvy bargaining skills the ARU will recieve an extra $15m cut of the profits.

Who would have thought...

Edwahu

Bench
Geez, maybe we should go back and have a look at some of the things Marcus posted on LWOS. Lets not forget his outstanding first appearance, when he claimed to be a league fan distraught because State of Origin was "dead" and that the game was rapidly dying.

League has nothing to worry about because its own fundamentals continue to be strong and are getting stronger. For all this supposed explosive growth of Rugby Union, League is actually the strongest by far it has been in a decade, so the ridiculous doomsaying and useless comparisons are way off the mark.

Bengal

Juniors
Edwahu said:
Geez, maybe we should go back and have a look at some of the things Marcus posted on LWOS. Lets not forget his outstanding first appearance, when he claimed to be a league fan distraught because State of Origin was "dead" and that the game was rapidly dying.

League has nothing to worry about because its own fundamentals continue to be strong and are getting stronger. For all this supposed explosive growth of Rugby Union, League is actually the strongest by far it has been in a decade, so the ridiculous doomsaying and useless comparisons are way off the mark.

I can bench-press 150kgs now. That’s the best I’ve ever been able to do.

My gym mate can only bench-press 120kgs.

However last year I was benching 130kgs and he only 70kg (he’s a new kid on the block).

Now if we were competing against each other, despite the fact that I’m benching personal bests, I’d be a mug not to notice what my mate is doing!

I’d best be keeping a keen eye on what he’s doing if I want to stay ahead of him in the future.

El Diablo

Post Whore
bazza said:
bayrep said:
bazza said:
bayrep said:

You made a statement that was based on your own theary with nothing to back it up.

I provided a scientific study that contridicted your theory.

From my own anecdotal evidence, I have seen waves at cricket and rugby league games - and from memory they were during the less spectacular parts of the game. Next time you see a wave at a cricket game - I am almost certain it will stop for a while if there is a wicket or a boundary.

Are there any other scientific studies that you think are a load of crap?

When the crowd started doing the Mexican wave in the France v Scotland game the Rugby commentators even said it was a sign of a "dull" moment in the game.

i_like_footy

Juniors
I've never seen and heard so many people talk about the sport, or wear the jerseys, or attend games in the 10s of thousands.

i think you will find that they are what we call BANDWAGONS. where will they be when this EVENT finishes???????? :roll:

Tidus_Raider

Bench
i_like_footy said:
I've never seen and heard so many people talk about the sport, or wear the jerseys, or attend games in the 10s of thousands.

i think you will find that they are what we call BANDWAGONS. where will they be when this EVENT finishes???????? :roll:

In a coma....

Bengal

Juniors
There is a pattern here, the way things are going in five years time as a response to Union’s now sky-high ratings the average Leaguies catch cry could well be ‘so what if Union have got five of the most watched TV programs in Australia, we’ve still got the Number One rated show!’

I mentioned what's in italics in an earlier post.
Unfortunately I might have to rework my predictions. Five years may be to long!

Who'd have thought geez!

Bengal said:
Edwahu said:

However last year I was benching 130kgs and he only 70kg (he’s a new kid on the block).

Now if we were competing against each other, despite the fact that I’m benching personal bests, I’d be a mug not to notice what my mate is doing!

I’d best be keeping a keen eye on what he’s doing if I want to stay ahead of him in the future.

Here's a thread for you Bengal:

http://groups.msn.com/legendsworldo...ssage=57529&ShowDelete=0&CDir=-2&all_topics=1

:D ;-)

Bengal

Juniors
CanadianSteve said:
Bengal said:
Edwahu said:

Here's a thread for you Bengal:

http://groups.msn.com/legendsworldo...ssage=57529&ShowDelete=0&CDir=-2&all_topics=1

:D ;-)

I'd have more in common with Lord Ted than I would with that other big dude :lol: