What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would you pick for Round 1

The Engineers Room

First Grade
JessEel said:
ParraDaze said:
This has been done before but I will add my two cents.

1. Wade McKinnon

2. Matt Peterson
3. Timana Tahu
4. Luke Burt
5. Eric Grothe

6. John Morris
7. PJ Marsh

13. Daniel Wagon
12. Glenn Morrison
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
10. Paul Stringer
9. Mark Riddell
8. Nathan Cayless

14. Ian Henderson
15. Dean Widders
16. Aaron Cannings
17. Michael Vella

+ ben smith, tim smith, cordoba, afamasaga and hauraki on their heels

This is just Round 1. I'd prefer to start the season with an experienced line up and not to experiment too much. Tim Smith would be number 18. Give Ben Smith a few rounds to get some form then move burty to the wing and drop Peterson.

Stagger eel

Staff member
ParraDaze said:
JessEel said:
ParraDaze said:

1. Wade McKinnon

2. Matt Peterson
3. Timana Tahu
4. Luke Burt
5. Eric Grothe

6. John Morris
7. PJ Marsh

13. Daniel Wagon
12. Glenn Morrison
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
10. Paul Stringer
9. Mark Riddell
8. Nathan Cayless

14. Ian Henderson
15. Dean Widders
16. Aaron Cannings
17. Michael Vella

This is just Round 1. I'd prefer to start the season with an experienced line up and not to experiment too much. Tim Smith would be number 18. Give Ben Smith a few rounds to get some form then move burty to the wing and drop Peterson.

don't you think it's unfair dropping Peto when Guru reportadly had a "Barry Crocker" on Sat night?

The Engineers Room

First Grade
eelavation said:
ParraDaze said:
JessEel said:
ParraDaze said:

1. Wade McKinnon

2. Matt Peterson
3. Timana Tahu
4. Luke Burt
5. Eric Grothe

6. John Morris
7. PJ Marsh

13. Daniel Wagon
12. Glenn Morrison
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
10. Paul Stringer
9. Mark Riddell
8. Nathan Cayless

14. Ian Henderson
15. Dean Widders
16. Aaron Cannings
17. Michael Vella

don't you think it's unfair dropping Peto when Guru reportadly had a "Barry Crocker" on Sat night?

Well I didn't see the game and it is only a trial. I think by about round 4 Ben Smith will be ready and we'll see then who is performing.

True EEL

Bench
1 McKinnon
2 Burt/Peterson
3 Tahu
4 Wagon
5 Grothe
6 Morris
7 Marsh
13 Morrison
12 Cayless (c)
11 Hindmarsh
10 Stringer
9 Riddell
8 Cannings

14 Henderson/Smith
15 Widders
16 Robinson
17 Vella

the only two positions i see still up for grabs i have noted with two players at each - i don't think Tim Smith will be started at halfback, PJ has the job for mine

this is what i have thought for a while and the pack i listed on here somwhere some days ago, the backline has only changed from previous thinking because it appears that Wagon will play in the centres and i think i agree

and i said Morris and Marsh ages ago last year ;-) man i'm good ;-) ;-)

Utey

Coach
1 Wade Mckinnon
2 Matt Peterson
3 Timana Tahu
4 Daniel Wagon
5 Eric Grothe JR
6 John Morris
7 PJ Marsh/Tim Smith
8 Aaron Cannings
9 Mark Riddell
10 Paul Stringer
11 Nathan Hindmarsh
12 Nathan Cayless
13 Glenn Morrison

14 Tim Smith/PJ Marsh
15 Dean Widders
16 Micheal Vella
17 Chad Robinson

Excellent side. Quite experienced. And a lot of juniors on their heels for FG spots. :clap:

1 Wade Mckinnon
2 Matt Peterson - But I think Johnny Williams will come on this year
3 Timana Tahu
4 Daniel Wagon - The Jury is still out on Wagon but I'd raher him than Burt!!
5 Eric Grothe JR
6 PJ / John Morris
7 Tim Smith
8 Aaron Cannings
9 Mark Riddell
10 Paul Stringer
11 Nathan Hindmarsh
12 Nathan Cayless
13 Morrison

14 PJ Marsh/Moriss
15 Jack Afamasaga/ Mateo
16 Micheal Vella
17 Chad Robinson

This year i'd like too see Feleti mateo come into the team at 5/8 or lock with Morrison going to the 2nd row. I just feel that Feleti will offer us much more in attack, he has some serious skill.

Avenger said:
Can Feleti play centre?

No he is not quick enough, If you can cast your mind back to the styles of Jim Dymock and Jason Smith- thats the way he plays. But he is not quick to be a 3/4.

damo72

Juniors
Jake the snake said:
Avenger said:
Can Feleti play centre?

No he is not quick enough, If you can cast your mind back to the styles of Jim Dymock and Jason Smith- thats the way he plays. But he is not quick to be a 3/4.

Since when has that bothered Mr Smith, he can't be any slower than Ash "The Flash" Graham or Wags.

Stagger eel

Staff member
damo72 said:
Jake the snake said:
Avenger said:
Can Feleti play centre?

Since when has that bothered Mr Smith, he can't be any slower than Ash "The Flash" Graham or Wags.

Ash won't be as slow as he was last year.

Pazza

First Grade
whing as much as you want about Wagon in centre but you have to admit that he is a HUGE ungrade from J Langi.

damo72

Juniors
I don't have to admit that, as Langi did a good job in defence and its a shame that he hardly got any ball out there last season to show what he is capable of, and that would be because of the 5/8 at the time and we all know who that was.
I just hope Ben Smith gets a go as he is a centre and deserves a shot, as I dont believe in playing players out of position but the people who count do.

The Colonel

Immortal
damo72 said:
I don't have to admit that, as Langi did a good job in defence and its a shame that he hardly got any ball out there last season to show what he is capable of, and that would be because of the 5/8 at the time and we all know who that was.
I just hope Ben Smith gets a go as he is a centre and deserves a shot, as I dont believe in playing players out of position but the people who count do.

Wagon is hardly out of position. While he has played at lock and 5/8 he has played quite a lot at centre for us as well. Smith will get his chance eventually but he will also have to fight a lot of other youngsters for the spot.....

Stagger eel

Staff member
damo72 said:

have you ever stopped to think that maybe Wagon was following coach's orders?

lucablight

First Grade
Jake how can you say Mateo is too slow and justify putting Wagon there?
Surely Mateo is faster than he is

damo72

Juniors
I know Brian Smith has done some surprising things but telling Wagon not to pass the ball would probably not be one of them.

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe he doesn't have the ability to play there?

The Colonel said:
damo72 said:

Wagon is hardly out of position. While he has played at lock and 5/8 he has played quite a lot at centre for us as well. Smith will get his chance eventually but he will also have to fight a lot of other youngsters for the spot.....

You'll find when he left St George and came to Parramatta he was playing on the wing. Smith tried him in the back row and he's played well but he only started playing 5.8th at Parra and that's ridiculous when we could've had Michael and Steve Witt playing in the halves. Any wonder they both have gone elsewhere to play first grade....Although if they'd stayed they might be the starting front rowers this season the way Smith thinks....

The Colonel

Immortal
He came to Parramatta as a winger. He has played centre and lock as well as five eight at Parramatta. He was our five eight for some of 2000 and for part of 2001 and played very very well . He was moved into the back row when Vaealiki showed promise in the centres alongside Lyon.

Both of the Witt brothers weren't being held out of first grade back in 2000/01 as they were far too young. Ideally Michael could have played a lot more last year but his form and attitude at times didn't warrant it.

Steven hasn't shown anything at Newcastle yet to show he shouldn't have been let go.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
can't stop the chop said:
but he only started playing 5.8th at Parra and that's ridiculous when we could've had Michael and Steve Witt playing in the halves.

WRONG!

He played 5/8 a few times in 2000 at least.

Pazza

First Grade
Forget about Attack, Wagon isnt a attacking solution. I think our backline has plenty of sting in attack with Burt, Grothe and Tahu there. Our problem in the backline is defence, we let in way to many point and it doesn't matter how good we are in attack, if we can't hold our own line then any hope of a top 6 position is out of reach.

I don't think that Wagon is going to be an awesome centre but we don't have many options in the centre position. Another advantage of playing Wagon out of the pack is that we get to field more top quality forwards in our starting pack. For me Wagon just doesn't cut it as a forward, yeah he is a mad defender and does great clean up work but he just doesn't have any intrest in gaining ground. He also runs with zero sting. Parra has had problems dominating the ruck since 2001, due to our lack of quality and work ethic. We want workers in defence and attack to turn this trend around.