What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who'll make the top eight

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
t-ba said:
Not really. I think it's good when a minnow gets up against one of the better clubs. I'd sooner lose to the dogs than a real contender like the Storm or the Eels.

I heard alot of Doggies fans reckoning they were back in 2005 as well around this time.

Minnow :lol:

Sonny Bill Williams
Willie Mason
Mark O'Meley
Reni Maitua
Andrew Ryan

Such minnows.

Rovelli

Bench
1. Melbourne Storm (Won't lose too many more games. They won't care how much they lose, as long as they don't lose the preliminary final or the grand final.)

2. Manly Sea Eagles (Still like them to come second, although the 7th placed team wouldn't mind playing a KO game at Manly. They don't really scare me.)

3. Parramatta Eels (In some good form right now.)

4. Brisbane Broncos (Coming into form at the right time of the season again it seems. Will have a strong second-half of the season.)

5. Wests Tigers (Should be lower than this, but I feel when Brett Hodgson/Benji Marshall return, they will be ok. Right now, they aren't looking so good.)

6. New Zealand Warriors (Not really scared about our draw coming home. If we continue to play consistently, we should win, at worst, 50% of the games, if not more.

7. North Queensland Cowboys (IMO, still on shaky ground. Struggling in the forwards, still leaking a lot of points. Should well be higher.)

8. Canterbury Bulldogs (Will find a way to make the 8. I just know it.)

9. Gold Coast Titans (Tough call on them. I think their recent form has been a flash in the pan. Gold Coast teams don't usually win.)

10. Cronulla Sharks (I can just see them falling apart again. They're sure to be heart-broken.)

11. Newcastle Knights (Poor differential will burn them. Means they have to flat-out win more games than other teams, and even then, their differential is against them.)

12. South Sydney Rabbitohs (The makings of a good team. Would love to see them make the top eight, but this is a team that don't play enough football to win games IMO.)

13. Canberra Raiders (Can see them falling apart after last week's controversy. Improving on the road, but still hellishly inconsistent. Lift at home, but teams aren't taking them lightly anymore.)

14. Sydney Roosters (Would be a travesty if they made the top eight. Haven't displayed much top eight worthy form, apart from thrashing a woeful 2nd-unit Cowboys. Could yet do the unthinkable, but I think not.)

15. Penrith Panthers

16. St George/Illawarra Dragons (Looking like a rabble to be honest. Will burn the chances of prospective playoff teams, but their season has already been well and truly slayed.)

Fast Eddie

First Grade
innsaneink said:
1 Storm
2 Eels
3 Sharks
4 Wests
5 Broncos
6 Knights
7 Manly
8 Cowboys.

Hey man you didn't put the Warriors in your 8. f**k. f**ken bullsh*t, how can you not put them in it. f**k. So stupid. You can't not put the Warriors in your top 8. I support them so you have to put them in there.

1 Storm
2 Sea Eagles (like storm, self explanitory)
3 Eels (got the jump on the pack and are in decent form)
4 Sharks (Just need a win and they'll be back on track, good f/a)
5 Broncos (slowly coming good)
6 Warriors (also starting to come good)
7 Knights (showing plenty of promise, the young halves are only getting better)
8 Titans (just sneak in)

9 Cowboys (defence of late is terrible, need to lift)
10 Tigers (our season is fast going down the sh*tter, and with Benj and Brett out for a while still it won't get any better soon)
11 Raiders (have a good foundation, will improve on this result in 2008)
12 Bulldogs (one win against a top team doesn't make you top 4 certainties)
13 Dragons (have lots of talent on the sidelines, will come home with a few wins, but too little too late)
14 Roosters (starting to get a bit better now)
15 Rabbitohs (starting to get out of their slump, but still going no where)
16 Panthers (YAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNN)

t-ba

Post Whore
Dodger said:
Minnow :lol:

Sonny Bill Williams
Willie Mason
Mark O'Meley
Reni Maitua
Andrew Ryan

Such minnows.

Sitting what, 11th?

Like I said, Minnows who are going nowhere. A guy like Reni wouldn't even be in our 13...

Timmah

Staff member
:lol:!!!!

A guy like Reni RAN OVER THE TOP of your 13. Watmough is about the strength in your forward pack... Brent Kite, Jason King? :lol:

t-ba

Post Whore
One game Dodger...Why don't we base 2006 on that flogging we dished out to you? We're 5 wins ahead of you, and have accounted for everyone else currently in the top 4. So what if we fail to turn up for a game against a pack of also rans like the Panthers or the Dogs?

I'd take G. Stewart, Watmough and Beaver now that he's getting match fit over Reni 7 days of the week...I'd take a 50 year B.K signed for 50c over Reni...

Timmah

Staff member
Melbourne were streets ahead of everyone last year, they choked, we weren't far behind, we choked...

Don't count your chickens, I'm not.

And for those who may have misinterpreted... nowhere have I said the 'Dogs will be top four, just top eight.

t-ba

Post Whore
Dodger said:
Melbourne were streets ahead of everyone last year, they choked, we weren't far behind, we choked...

Don't count your chickens, I'm not.

Ok.

And for those who may have misinterpreted... nowhere have I said the 'Dogs will be top four, just top eight.

Wait a minute...

Don't count your chickens, I'm not

:-k

For a team with a 6-8 record, it would appear that you are counting your chickens...

Timmah

Staff member
I was referencing the fact one or two people have said that "Dogs aren't top four material"

Nowhere have I suggested that.

But if you look at the ladder, we're in a group with other teams who people still think are realistically chances there. Don't count the 'Dogs out ;-)

t-ba

Post Whore
Don't act like their morals and get affronted when people don't pick them in top 8 then...The Panthers beat Manly FFS...

McCrud

Juniors
t-ba said:
Don't act like their morals and get affronted when people don't pick them in top 8 then..
Agree.

Dodger seems to have a knack for becoming offended when his precious puppies aren't everyone's tip to win the comp....

It's pathetic.

Timmah

Staff member
Last check it was a forum where people could put forward opinions and others could disagree. Wasn't aware it was obligatory for certain types to come in, bait and subsequently derail the threads... ;-)

HevyDevy

Coach
My 2 cents ...

1. Melbourne (by far the dominant team in the comp)
2. Manly (have the points on the board even if they are looking a bit shaky)
3. Parra (playing the best brand of footy in the comp and improving)
4. Brisbane (starting to look ominous)
5. Cowboys (will get back on track once Origin is over, even if the coach is useless)
6. Titans (good side graduall improving)
7. Bulldogs (too much talent to miss the eight, not playing well enough to win the comp though)
8. Souths (very good defensive side and might just win the close ones to sneak in)

Of the others, injuries are killing the Tigers, Warriors could sneak in but very unpredictable, Sharks are yet to convince me.