What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's afraid of the AFL, asks Titans boss Michael Searle

Mad Fish

Juniors
You see, the AFL have been trying for years to crack sydney and brisbane. BUt hey can't. Not even 4 straight flags could do it in brisbane, not even 1 in sydney and a myriad of concessions.

Solid points, but Brisbane only won 3 straight. Plus from what I believe the Lions have formed a reasonably solid supporter base in QLD?

Would they be the biggest club in QLD behind the league clubs? In terms of support?

Also, to Queensland dwellers, what would be the order of support for the codes other than Rugby League which is obviously number 1?

intentcity

First Grade
Solid points, but Brisbane only won 3 straight. Plus from what I believe the Lions have formed a reasonably solid supporter base in QLD?

Would they be the biggest club in QLD behind the league clubs? In terms of support?

Also, to Queensland dwellers, what would be the order of support for the codes other than Rugby League which is obviously number 1?

lions average about the same as the leagues biggest club the broncos, in the same market, and even thats relatively small by AFL standards, hardly unsupported as some suggest.

ibeme

First Grade
lions average about the same as the leagues biggest club the broncos, in the same market, and even thats relatively small by AFL standards, hardly unsupported as some suggest.

In terms of crowd attendance, they're probably close to Brisbane, but in terms of support, miles away. TV ratings in Brisbane are testament to this.

intentcity

First Grade
In terms of crowd attendance, they're probably close to Brisbane, but in terms of support, miles away. TV ratings in Brisbane are testament to this.

very true obviously, but its about putting bums on seats.

30k fans, $25 dollars per seat, probably $12/$14 for members, you do the math.

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee

Can you just go away?

You clearly are not a fan of league. Every post you make is completely and utterly AFL biased.

ibeme

First Grade
very true obviously, but its about putting bums on seats.

Ask sponsors whether they'd prefer 30k bums on seats or 400k watching on TV. It's TV exposure that drives sponsorship dollars, and obviously revenue from TV

intentcity

First Grade
Ask sponsors whether they'd prefer 30k bums on seats or 400k watching on TV. It's TV exposure that drives sponsorship dollars, and obviously revenue from TV

30k bums on seats, lets say an average of $20 per seat (after children/member admissions) 11 games per year not including finals, its a lot of money, but i agree, TV $s is where its at but bums on seats comes a close second.

Big Mick

Referee
can you read the thread title dimwit?, and no, i cant go away and i am a league fan.

No you are not.

Every thread you contribute to, every thread you create...is all about AFL.

This is a RL forum, of course if people bring it up people will discuss it, but we don't need people just creating random threads.

You've managed to bring up AFL into a thread which previously had no mention of AFL in other threads other than this one.

You clearly have an AFL bias and agenda.

intentcity

First Grade
i thought it was about getting $1 billion for TV rights

that to, but as i said with the figures for crowds, also consider all the beer drank, food consumed, footy records sold, merchandise sold, each person on average would spend around $10/$20 dollars while they're at the game, its a hell of a lot of money.

intentcity

First Grade
No you are not.

Every thread you contribute to, every thread you create...is all about AFL.

This is a RL forum, of course if people bring it up people will discuss it, but we don't need people just creating random threads.

You've managed to bring up AFL into a thread which previously had no mention of AFL in other threads other than this one.

You clearly have an AFL bias and agenda.

well thats funny because i havnt started a thread on this site, thoughts? every thread i contribute to is an AFL related thread started by someone else, i just hate all the bias shown towards the AFL, doesnt mean im not a league fan.

trudge

Bench
Rugby League stars defecting to Union didn't raise the viewership of fascinated RL fans of Tuqiri, Tahu, Sailor etc. We just created Slater, Inglis and Folau.
The skills required to excel at RL generate superb strong athletes.
RL wouldn't take one AFL player.
The problem for AFL and Union is although fine sports in their own rights, offer nothing to RL fans that we don't get in RL.

What would fascinate RL fans to tune into AFL?
Consider bringing back your State Of Origin and let them go at each other. Mate against mate is compelling drama no matter what sport. It lifted RL.
Sadly Super 14s have allowed trading between the States to dilute that concept.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
well thats funny because i havnt started a thread on this site, thoughts? every thread i contribute to is an AFL related thread started by someone else, i just hate all the bias shown towards the AFL, doesnt mean im not a league fan.

so why no posts on League?

Noa

First Grade
The word from an insider at a major accounting firm who do the books for the AFL suggests they are in deep financial trouble hence the desperate publicity at any cost.

Spending top dollar to diminishing your product into a circus is a bad move.

Í dont know if your full of sh*t or not but I have a major boner going on. It wouldnt suprise me if true though and you'lll find many on here put forward a similar scenario happening a 3 or 4 years ago now

Latest posts