What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's afraid of the AFL, asks Titans boss Michael Searle

Blind Freddy

Juniors
Phil McGrawhan said:
But you are missing the point...
If people have seen your product & either hate it or are not interested....then how do you buy loyalty?

Its not like the people on the coast & WS havnt had a chance to watch AFL....
Point is you can throw all the money you want at it ...but a sh*t product is still a sh*t product..
Basically in other words "You can't polish a turd"

No, mate - you're missing some critical ones.

Tribal loyalty is a massive issue that Murdoch and the other News Limited scum like Gallop don't appreciate. Gallop even said at one time that Bears fans could just find another team to follow. He hasn't got a clue.

If you like any sport and your local area gets a team, chances are you'll get behind it. Sure as hell, your kids will.

If that soprt then has 20 times the money you have, superior juniors/grasroots funding and oprganisation PLUS the game owns itself and grows itself, then that will be a success - even if it takes 5, 10 or 20 years.

And don't just say AFL is a sh*t product. Because there are millions around Australia who disgree and pay big money to prove it.

Point is - if the NRL have the attitude you do (and many of those idiots lie Searle do), then rugby league is in massive trouble.

oh shut up idiot!!!

lol

hey, so you want me to believe that just because afl is playing down the road that I am going to be magically converted?

they have been at it for decades now trying to gain support. If they had something else to throw at us that could work - they would have done it by now.

No one is saying the nrl doesnt have to evolve and develop. And if you think it currently isn't doing that then you are wrong. That kind of wrong thought seems to lend fuel to all the "AFL will conquer" thinkers out there.

You say afl have a long term plan.....the same long term plan that has been ineffective for the past 25 years.

DO NOT tell me that placing a team down the road from someone out west is going to make them fall in love with the game. We already hear more about the afl than we care to in the papers and on the news. They dont get it at AFL HQ, do they? We already have the game live on tv at decent times so anyone who wants to can watch it - but few do. Like a bunch of mindless cattle the AFL keeps it up. But the audience is not growing.

This 'battle' has always been about the next tv contract, rocking ronny....nothing else.....nothing will change apart from the afl will have 2 more teams, some more content and maybe a bigger (tho most say merely equivalent or less) tv deal than last time......there will be very few extra fans, there will be little change......and in 20 years of course we all expect growth in afl to some degree.....but guess what, pal....the ONE THING YOU DID NOT FACTOR IN.....there will be even larger growth from the NRL....afl will still be a million miles behind, and in fact, its been suggested time and time again, rl will be the number one sport in aus.....by simple potential alone and the ease at which the game is enjoyed and taken up....

and the kicker: if they think by signing cutie and falou, it will make people watch their game long enough to fall in love with it, then they are wrong.....and if they think that by feeding falou lines to say to me to pursuade us to like afl then they are wrong as well.

Now

let me tell you one final thing:

some are on here screaming "the afl are coming! they are coming with a massive army and we have lost!" but RL has not even lifted swords against them yet. How can you know we are going to lose. how defeatist are you people....and its not even about being overly optimistic.....if you base your reasoning off sound foundations you will come to realize any fear about afl is a misguided one. This has all been blown way up by the media and afl lackeys.

I can see any number of future situations in which RL kicks afl's ass and slaps it silly......

what will it look like if souths are getting 30k+ to a lot of games in 5 years time out at ANZ, and GWS are not selling out. or wests. what about when the ratings come out. the experiment has not even started yet, it could fail. they have not written stories about the future yet......

so no, the best advice is to wait and dont piss your pants, and even laugh at the fuss being made....but never, never put down your sword....keep it close....rl is yet to fight with all it has.....mark my words.

gung ho we are not. the fight has been brought to us, and anyone who knows anything about fighting (god forbid people at the nrl on a few hundred grand know more about fighting than some fools who are WAY under that)....and if you knew about fighting, when the fight is brought to your fortress....you dont gather your army and rush out the gates.....the enemy must expend energy drawing you into the fight......this is our territory, and they have tried to tear down the walls for a long time..lighting a fire next to us out west will do little....and i can see a lot of western people pissing on the flames to put it out.

Last edited:

RL1908

Bench
Many people haven't yet realised that is the AFL's last tilt at getting a decent and lasting foothold in "the non-football states" (NSW/QLD).

They have to throw everything they have at it this time around, because if they make no gain, that's it for them as far as expansion goes - forever.

And more than any other code in Australia, they need NSW and QLD to sustain them financially in the long term - because in a world that is rapidly growing smaller every year the other codes (to varying degrees) can and will obtain income from international competitions (country and club).

That's why RL should be acting more pro-active right here and now. It seems every RL story at the moment includes a mention of AFL in it somewhere.

Related: THE NRL’S UNSHAKEABLE FAITH

Many people haven't yet realised that is the AFL's last tilt at getting a decent and lasting foothold in "the non-football states" (NSW/QLD).

They have to throw everything they have at it this time around, because if they make no gain, that's it for them as far as expansion goes - forever.

And more than any other code in Australia, they need NSW and QLD to sustain them financially in the long term - because in a world that is rapidly growing smaller every year the other codes (to varying degrees) can and will obtain income from international competitions (country and club).

That's why RL should be acting more pro-active right here and now. It seems every RL story at the moment includes a mention of AFL in it somewhere.

excellent points. fully right.

RL1908

Bench
excellent points. fully right.

This move by AFL is an opportunity for RL and RU. Disuade them now in the next few years and the "code war" with Aust rules (1877-present) is over.

Maybe when people realise that they will understand why the AFL is going to so hard. Unfortunately for the AFL, using an aggressive tactic in the hope of gaining new fans can work against you.

And you said earlier, there is no one in NSW and QLD who doesn't know what AFL offers as a game for spectators or junior footy. It's been here in Sydney since 1877 and been live on tv every Saturday since 1977.

This time the AFL is here with a big blockbuster storefront, but unfortuantely for them they are still selling the same product (game) they always have.

I suspect that is ultimately the same reason that the ARU's raids on the NRL ultimately failed - it pulled viewers across, but once they saw the product for a while, they left disappointed and the ARU made no net gain from the whole endeavour.

If RL loses ground to AFL it will be entirely of its own doing.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
so no, the best advice is to wait and dont piss your pants, and even laugh at the fuss being made....but never, never put down your sword....keep it close....rl is yet to fight with all it has.....mark my words.

gung ho we are not. the fight has been brought to us, and anyone who knows anything about fighting (god forbid people at the nrl on a few hundred grand know more about fighting than some fools who are WAY under that)....and if you knew about fighting, when the fight is brought to your fortress....you dont gather your army and rush out the gates.....the enemy must expend energy drawing you into the fight......this is our territory, and they have tried to tear down the walls for a long time..lighting a fire next to us out west will do little....and i can see a lot of western people pissing on the flames to put it out.

Pubes

That rant is some of the most baseless, emotive horsesh*t I have read here in a long time. If you had written this in 1992, then it may have been relevant.

But - guess what: the big "fight" for rugby league happened just over 10 years ago - and we lost that fight because the game was handed on a platter to News Limited and Kerry Packer. News Limited have proceeded to undercut the game on TV rights which has deprived the game of critical funds for expansion, juniors/grassroots etc. They rape the game of $10 million each year. They have hindered obvious expansion which can only benefit the game. They impose a salary cap which is laughable in modern sport to protect incompetent administrators running bankrupt clubs.

The game is still owned by News and run by its lackeys.

So, all your bullsh*t about the big "fight" coming up. Guess what - it's News Limited who determine this - and they don't want to fight.

AFL have a massive warchest and they own their own game. They have plans to expand their code across Australia. At this rate, in 10 years, young kids will be growing up watching and playing their code - because their growth is well funded by smart operators whilst rugby league just sits there being bled dry by a media company.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors

We need to be honest with ourselves here.

Rugby league - in over 100 years - has expanded to Nth England, NZ and NSW and QLD. We are not really an international sport - not if only 3 countries are involved. That's just spin.

We have now sold out our rights, operation, revenue streams and future to a media company - who has minimal interest in the best interests of the game.

AFL are growing their sport - and we are sitting back powerless to do anything - and this will stay this way until News Limited, Gallop etc are gone.

Magumba

Juniors

G'day,

This is my first post on this forum.

I have to apologise. For a period of time I was sucked in and joined a cult. I was led to believe in this cult and all it stood for. I was even a leader and recruited young and innocent people for it. I saw the cult grow from a small gathering of about 20 every Sunday morning at one location in the region to multiple locations two to three times a week consisting of over 150. The cult name…AFL!! The location was in Rugby League heart land, the Mid North Coast of NSW. I got sucked in by the product, the games clean spirit and family orientation. But now a few years out of cult I can say that at the end of the day when I sit back and think about it….. I’m a Rugby League man and I’ve finally had enough. We need change and we need it now!!

The AFL is a finely tuned, well oiled propaganda machine that is poised ready to strike and create havoc on Rugby League and Rugby Union in Australia and then wait for it…. New Zealand. They have a reported $80 million Development and Promotional budget…… $80 million that they have already started to spend. Any company, which the AFL is with that type of budget, can make a huge imprint on their opposition’s footprint.

Key people in Rugby League circles have for too long been saying “we have a great product” or “we are the best TV sport”. This means nothing if from the grass roots level to the elite level we don’t have a strategic plan. A plan to encourage kids to play, keep them in the game and show them that there is a path to professionalism that is not farcical and worth taking, a plan that shows a future and builds immunity from other sports. A great product and TV sport also means nothing if the games organisational structure and major bodies look like and work together like a bowl of spaghetti topped with water and oil….. They just don’t mix. There’s the NRL, ARL, NSWRL, CRL and QRL all pulling against each other in deferent directions up against one entity called the “AFL Commission” which is heading full steam down its own strategic path of game domination.

Rugby league supporters should not only be worried about their own clubs survival in today’s tough market but should be even more concerned about their games survival. Rugby League and the NRL in particular are not just names or brands to us they are our social, sporting and daily grind/mental relief life. I watched a great interview of the famous Australian surfer Mark Occhilupo. He said that Jack McCoy once told him that in life "You only need three things," he said, "someone to love, something to look forward to something to do." I bet those words sit true for Rugby League fans and their feeling about the game.

I say lets get of our behinds and let the current bodies of our great game know that we as their customers are not happy. Let’s send emails to clubs, call radio stations, write to papers, post on forums and get the word out that we want action, we want change and that we want the sleeping giant that is Rugby League to once again wake up and stand proud and tall. We need an NRL Commission!!!

Yours passionately

Magumba

Ziggy the God

First Grade
This move by AFL is an opportunity for RL and RU. Disuade them now in the next few years and the "code war" with Aust rules (1877-present) is over.

Maybe when people realise that they will understand why the AFL is going to so hard. Unfortunately for the AFL, using an aggressive tactic in the hope of gaining new fans can work against you.

And you said earlier, there is no one in NSW and QLD who doesn't know what AFL offers as a game for spectators or junior footy. It's been here in Sydney since 1877 and been live on tv every Saturday since 1977.

This time the AFL is here with a big blockbuster storefront, but unfortuantely for them they are still selling the same product (game) they always have.

I suspect that is ultimately the same reason that the ARU's raids on the NRL ultimately failed - it pulled viewers across, but once they saw the product for a while, they left disappointed and the ARU made no net gain from the whole endeavour.

If RL loses ground to AFL it will be entirely of its own doing.

The big difference since the Swans came to Sydney is that at least back then there was a few big hits in their game (coward blindside shots yes, but at least it was something). You could at least watch it sometimes on the hope someone would be belted.

Now, the game is akin to Male Netball, you virtually cannot hit someone without the whistle blowing. They have sanitised their game, on the belief that mothers will send their sons to play that game, because they believe that League/Union is too rough. Why would you send them to AFL if you believe that, would you not send your kid to Soccer?

What it has done is made it impossible for someone that follows League to watch that guff. If I want to watch a game of kicking, I will watch the EPL, not some nuffie sportmen taken from a shallow talent pool.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors

Key people in Rugby League circles have for too long been saying “we have a great product” or “we are the best TV sport”. This means nothing if from the grass roots level to the elite level we don’t have a strategic plan. A plan to encourage kids to play, keep them in the game and show them that there is a path to professionalism that is not farcical and worth taking, a plan that shows a future and builds immunity from other sports. A great product and TV sport also means nothing if the games organisational structure and major bodies look like and work together like a bowl of spaghetti topped with water and oil….. They just don’t mix. There’s the NRL, ARL, NSWRL, CRL and QRL all pulling against each other in deferent directions up against one entity called the “AFL Commission” which is heading full steam down its own strategic path of game domination.

Rugby league supporters should not only be worried about their own clubs survival in today’s tough market but should be even more concerned about their games survival. Rugby League and the NRL in particular are not just names or brands to us they are our social, sporting and daily grind/mental relief life. I watched a great interview of the famous Australian surfer Mark Occhilupo. He said that Jack McCoy once told him that in life "You only need three things," he said, "someone to love, something to look forward to something to do." I bet those words sit true for Rugby League fans and their feeling about the game.

I say lets get of our behinds and let the current bodies of our great game know that we as their customers are not happy. Let’s send emails to clubs, call radio stations, write to papers, post on forums and get the word out that we want action, we want change and that we want the sleeping giant that is Rugby League to once again wake up and stand proud and tall. We need an NRL Commission!!!

Yours passionately

Magumba

Well said.

I think all league supporters should get together and do a "Souths" march.

The aim - piss the News Limited scum off and get rid of the ARL dinosaurs. Get an IC - but not with CEO's of existing clubs - but with business people who love rugby league but know how to further its aims.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
rockin ronny, what a tool you are.

quote all you like, who cares. when you have substance to your words maybe we will

Pubes

You either ramble on with puerile bullsh*t for 10 pages - or you try to slap posters down with your handbag.

If you've got nothing to add, well, go back to the kerb and keep crawling.

Magumba

Juniors
Well said.

The aim - piss the News Limited scum off and get rid of the ARL dinosaurs. Get an IC - but not with CEO's of existing clubs - but with business people who love rugby league but know how to further its aims.

I would be there in a flash!!!! The NRL, ARL, NSWRL, CRL and QRL all agreed in principle for a commission but are at logger heads in the structure etc. Because of this all has fallen silent and seems to of been placed in the too hard basket. It is now that AFL has signed Folau and the talk of Inglis is going to the Bombers that Rugby League needs a good news story to combat the AFL’s marketing strategy… Announcing more about an NRL commission is it.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
I would be there in a flash!!!! The NRL, ARL, NSWRL, CRL and QRL all agreed in principle for a commission but are at logger heads in the structure etc. Because of this all has fallen silent and seems to of been placed in the too hard basket. It is now that AFL has signed Folau and the talk of Inglis is going to the Bombers that Rugby League needs a good news story to combat the AFL’s marketing strategy… Announcing more about an NRL commission is it.

Mate

The ARL, CRL etc etc all agreed to an IC because (1) the media said it should happen and (2) they all still want a piece of the pie. These guys (dinosaurs) still think they'll be involved in the rugby league gravy train.

A March - 100,000 peole in brisbane - same in Brisbane - demanding News Limited leave the game, an IC and CC Bears come in immediately.

Cletus

First Grade
Well said.

I was thinking the same about a march. Maybe in support of an IC rather than an anti-AFL or anti-News theme. You know you're actually a pretty intelligent guy Ronny when you get past your irrational hatred for all things Manly.

Magumba

Juniors
Mate

The ARL, CRL etc etc all agreed to an IC because (1) the media said it should happen and (2) they all still want a piece of the pie. These guys (dinosaurs) still think they'll be involved in the rugby league gravy train.

A March - 100,000 peole in brisbane - same in Brisbane - demanding News Limited leave the game, an IC and CC Bears come in immediately.

How do we get the ball rolling?

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
places like these would be somewhere to start, a lot of passionate fans frequent this... members and casual viewers. You would need a small committee from here who would pretty much organise and promote the whole thing. I definately will take an active role in campaigning for this cause (by marching and whatever else this committee comes up with), its long overdue and the timing right now would be perfect.

Shorty

Staff member
^I definitely agree, I think this forum, or the members that are passionate about this subject need to organise things.
Nothing is going to happen unless noise is made, who knows what sort of celebrity support would be achieved as well.
A lot of what Gould is saying is mirrored on here.

hutch

First Grade
We need to be honest with ourselves here.

Rugby league - in over 100 years - has expanded to Nth England, NZ and NSW and QLD. We are not really an international sport - not if only 3 countries are involved. That's just spin.

i understand your frustration, and in reality we havnt grown anywhere near the rate we could and should have, but this is not true. we are most definately an international sport, not a major player in world sport, but still an international one. we have a fair persence in the pacific, the national sport of png, nz are the world champs and players from all over nz are playing in the nrl, the game is growing in england, there are quite a few southern players in super league now, professional teams in wales and france with many juniors coming through, a small but steady american comp where inroads are being made, and to top it all off a world cup with competitive teams which is growing and will only get bigger. this is all depsite being one of the worst managed and visionless sports on earth. we should be a hell of a lot bigger, and in a much better position internationally and financially at club level, hopefully we will get it right one day.

We have now sold out our rights, operation, revenue streams and future to a media company - who has minimal interest in the best interests of the game.

completely agree. i hope we can correct this before its too late.

AFL are growing their sport - and we are sitting back powerless to do anything - and this will stay this way until News Limited, Gallop etc are gone.

agree. we really havnt ever TRIED to grow our game, that is the scary thing. it is growing despite the absolute negligance from the people who have all the power. how good could it get if we had an administration who actually pot the games growth before all their other interests. we need an absolute fresh start without all the old dinosaurs who have held the game back for so long. it is so frustrating not knowing if we have left it too late to really grow the game and have it reach its potential.

Latest posts