What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's your favourite cricketter?

Anonymous

Juniors
Azkatro said:
Timbo said:
Gotta disagree with you on Vettori and Gilchrist. Vettori's average is high because he'd rather take wickets than protect his average, somthing which most test players do. Gilchrist-are you stoned or what? He is one of the best batsman in the world to watch, his test average of 60 over 47 odd tests has nothing to do with luck, it's because he's an unbelievably good batsman.

Errr, doesn't bowling average denote the average number of deliveries per wicket? It looks like you're talking about economy rate there.

As far as Gilly goes, I can see where Henry's coming from because as a swashbuckler he does get the odd snick to the fence. But in a good innings he finds the middle of the bat more often than not and picks the gaps quite nicely.

weasel said:
Ponting and Lara. I think those two plus Tendulkar are head and shoulders above all other batsmen in the world as the most gifted of our generation.

Ponting, like most of the Aussies, tends to struggle against a decent spin attack, doesn't he?

1. I am afraid your the one in the wrong their as a bowling average is made up from the amount of runs taken off your bowling divided by the amount of wickets you take.

What you mean is Strike Rate which is the amount of balls bowled per wicket.

2. Ricky Ponting only struggles against spin bowling at the beggining of his innings. When he is looking to get set. Other than that he dominates it.

Doctor

Bench
Vettori's average is high because he'd rather take wickets than protect his average, somthing which most test players do

I would have thought this would have a greater impact on his economy rate than his bowling average. If he was after wickets, he would be more likely to take more wickets but at a higher expense to the team, but not to his figures.

Clearly if he makes a conscious choice to look for wickets ahead of conceeding runs (which I'm not convinced he does anyway), then it must be a calculated decision that should be working in practice in order for him to continue it.

Vettori can be a good one day bowler because he can hold up one end and take key wickets for his side, in much the same way Muttiah Muralitharan is statistically performing.

Unfortunately my thoughts on the matter are not backed up statistically. A bowling average of 37 for a fellow of his experience isn't all that crash hot, nor is a strike-rate of 52 balls per wicket - his economy of 4.3 is o.k, and perhaps this is where he finds his greatest success.

His average figures would be say 1/43 off 10.

The average and strike rate tell me that if he is looking for wickets ahead of runs, he isn't succeeding in capturing many wickets. The stats point towards a bowler who tries to be tidy a lot of the time, but doesn't take as many wickets because the batsman wait for the loose ball.

Azkatro

First Grade
Earl said:
1. I am afraid your the one in the wrong their as a bowling average is made up from the amount of runs taken off your bowling divided by the amount of wickets you take.

OH DEAR LORD .... of course you're right .... how embarassing! :oops:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
All-time
Dougy Walters, got to admire a guy who can bat with a ciggy in his mouth.
Current
Adam Gilchrist - the new master blaster - You will also notice our amazing run of records starts with his debut.

Anonymous

Juniors
Azkatro said:
Earl said:

OH DEAR LORD .... of course you're right .... how embarassing! :oops:

Indeed. You should be very, very ashamed. :lol:

;-) Kidding mate we all make mistakes.

stormboy

Juniors
always has been and always all be SIR Graham Gooch - one legend of the game - where is his MBE for christ sake!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anonymous

Juniors
Oswin said:
Vettori's average is high because he'd rather take wickets than protect his average, somthing which most test players do

I would have thought this would have a greater impact on his economy rate than his bowling average. If he was after wickets, he would be more likely to take more wickets but at a higher expense to the team, but not to his figures.

Clearly if he makes a conscious choice to look for wickets ahead of conceeding runs (which I'm not convinced he does anyway), then it must be a calculated decision that should be working in practice in order for him to continue it.

Vettori can be a good one day bowler because he can hold up one end and take key wickets for his side, in much the same way Muttiah Muralitharan is statistically performing.

Unfortunately my thoughts on the matter are not backed up statistically. A bowling average of 37 for a fellow of his experience isn't all that crash hot, nor is a strike-rate of 52 balls per wicket - his economy of 4.3 is o.k, and perhaps this is where he finds his greatest success.

His average figures would be say 1/43 off 10.

The average and strike rate tell me that if he is looking for wickets ahead of runs, he isn't succeeding in capturing many wickets. The stats point towards a bowler who tries to be tidy a lot of the time, but doesn't take as many wickets because the batsman wait for the loose ball.

Exactly. Commentators and "experts" seem desperate to praise Vettori every time he comes on to bowl, but as a devoted follower of NZ cricket, I can't help but notice that he been completely incapable of taking wickets for at least 3 years now. I also can't help but notice that despite commentators repeatedly reiterating that he is a "competent batsman", his figures in this area have never threatened to improve either, and he still averages 10 in ODIs.

Gilchrist I will never like, only Richard Jones can challenge him for ugly shots. But then, all left-handers look unco. OH YES THEY DO.

Latest posts