What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are Raiders players queing for the door? Your Opinion!

dubby

Bench
Lack of representative claims for one. I find this ironic actually, years ago we had to release players because they WERE rep players and we couldn't keep them under the cap!

2. No "heavies' like Gus in our management to give us some authority and respect in the market.

3. No premiership in 10 years

4. Alot of players come and go here. (transit lounge)

5. No big name star like Fittler or Johns

6. Coaching staff not seen as attractive.

7. Lack of support at Bruce Stadium

8. Canberra is VERY COLD!

9. You guys carrying on like pork chops and scrutinising every player/coach/manager/ballboy/cheergirls

10. This years effort is very disappinting. Its an anti-climax after 2003.
If we had the same results this year as last, we keep Joel. Easy as that.

legend

Coach
This year isn't over.

A big factor is the leading side's coach is an ex-player and knows only too well the quality we are capable of producing and since he started with the Roosters in 2002, he has managed to lure away Finch, Soward, Payten and Monaghan. He also went after Weyman pretty hard but he decided to stay.

The Rooster are using the Raiders as their breeding ground and taking them off us at exactly the right time.

Our management aren't doing enough to keep them here but in some cases like Finch and Payten, I don't believe there was anything we could do to keep them with the club.

Mal Meninga

Bench
Bringing back some of the club legends like Lozza, Sticky, Clyde etc etc etc, would lure some players back. FFS imagine if Loz was the coach, Carney would be getting his run(remember it was a young Loz Daley who wore 10 inch shoulder pads who took the field at a tender age in the lime green), and being a selector of the blues would be enough to bring in quality players.

azza

Juniors
And let's face it... what does Elliot offer us as a coach as far as attracting players to the club is concerned? Our marquee signing has been Brad Drew...

Bay56

First Grade
Yes

Yes

Ditto

Ditto

Yes

The only diff is that when I express these opinions I'm a whinger.

Raider_69

Post Whore
1. No "heavies' like Gus in our management to give us some authority and respect in the market. - True

2. No premiership in 10 years - close enough

3. Alot of players come and go here. (transit lounge) - true

4. No big name star like Fittler or Johns - well siad

5. Coaching staff not seen as attractive - the price is right

6. Lack of support at Bruce Stadium - bandwagons

7. Canberra is VERY COLD! - so im told

8. You guys carrying on like pork chops and scrutinising every player/coach/manager/ballboy/cheergirls - when they deserve it f**k oath

thickos

First Grade
Legend makes the key point. Ricky Stuart knows how much talent there is down here. Let them play 30-50 first grade games down here, prove their worth, then move them up north when the time is right.

The Roosters are a hideous malaise on this competition. Thank god for people like Weyman who resisted the fistfuls of cash and stayed true.

Freddo

Juniors
lol

call this a silly idea or not

but the view that seems to be expressed is the coaching staff isnt addicute enough. i vote on either a getting don furner to come and coach or falling that we get david back from england and get him to coach.

like we dont really need a big name player like johns or fittler it would be nice but we should stick with developing our own talent and on;y buying when we have too.

like if we treat the juniors right as we bring them through they would wanna stay. we need a CANBERRA HERO to coach the side preferible a player who played at the club and was in one of the preimership winning sides a player that knew what playing for the raiders is about.

weyman is a champ and he would like to stay close to home. moruya is only 2 hours away from canberra!!!

kevin neill was his big influence and major help

Anonymous

Juniors
If any one of the aforementioned problems were corrected we'd be a force again I'm sure.

If we could lure one of Clyde, Stuart or Daley back to the club I'm sure we'd be a bigger success, hell, even get Mal back in some capacity?

BAY72

Juniors
hell, even get Mal back in some capacity?
yeah just not coach he was shit!

he was far to much of a friend, or something but he didn't make a good coach.
unfortunatly.

legend

Coach
Daley would be the only one and seems to like us again this year funnily enough. Even then, I feel it would only be on a consultancy basis. There are players from other clubs who could fill the same role. Doesn't have to be a Raider, but someone who knows what it takes to be a winner.

Someone like Tallis would be ideal IMO.

We shut the door on Clyde and I doubt Stuart would ever come back to the Raiders.

There will be others like Croker, Woolford and Schifcofske who could play a major role within the club once they retire.

Livebynight

Juniors
Id like to dream and say get Ricky back as coach but i just dont see it happening ever.
Why would he leave the rorters? Im sure they will offer him a big contract when the current one is up. Unless something goes awfully wrong and they dont want him.

I would love to see Daley back. He is one of my most favourite players ever and i was pissed off when i saw he was assistant at the dragons. I was thinking why couldn't we have him as an assistant. I don't though has he gone off the raiders since leaving? I couldnt imagine so. He played his entire career here.

Clyde would be great too. Someone mentioned he wanted to stay and work for the Raiders but they didn't offer him anything. I dont understand that.

Mal is still involved from what i read on here. His coaching didn't seem to be great for some reason. I know our team wasn't at full strength but still i just thought he maybe wasnt the greatest coach. I don't know about elliot at first i thought he was good but now after all this stuff thats gone on im changing my mind. When is he off? End of next season?

Id love to blame it all on Matterson. I hated that c*#t when he played for broncos. Maybe matterson does suck? haha

MILLWALL

Juniors
Next year raiders are gonna kill it with the juniors people are gonna give us the underdog card but of course we will show them and win it next year

Raider Azz

Bench
That reminds me of what they used to say about Mal, the only thing he did as coach of the Raiders was turn Wiki from a first-class centre into a second-class second rower :lol:

I remember a couple of years ago when we had the 'big red wire' himself Glen Lazuras down here in a coaching role, and he had a tremendous effect on the forwards. Sacking him was a real bad move. To this day I don't no why he was sacked.............anyone know?

Latest posts