What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are these people in the team?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Is it also funny that Thurston won it this year but didn't make the squad?

Honestly, who were you expecting them to drop to make room for him? The incumbent captain or the guy who finished just behind him despite missing ten or so games?

Snoop

Coach
chriswalkerbush said:
Watched plenty of games. I haven't rated Priddis as anything more than a good defender since last year. Buderus turned last year's Knights' team into one that almost made the eight - Priddis barely managed the same feat this year with a better side.

So pilotting his team to 10th spot was an achievement? And I suppose his hand in this years wooden spoon was comendable as well?

chriswalkerbush said:
When you're being picked behind your team's #7 for an international hooking berth, it doesn't say a lot about you.

Show's how much you know when you think Gower is there only to cover hooker. Gower can cover 6,7 and 9 better than Priddis can. That doesn't mean Gower is a better hooker than Priddis

chriswalkerbush said:
And if that doesn't convince you of my opinion, read my sig. ;-)

Currently your sig is slow and boring, just like Buderas.

Snoop

Coach
chriswalkerbush said:
Honestly, who were you expecting them to drop to make room for him? The incumbent captain or the guy who finished just behind him despite missing ten or so games?

I never expected Thurston to make the squad at all. Just proving my point that the Dally M winner is not necessarily the best player. Often it is but on occassions such as Buderas, Lyons, McGrady it is simply a player that stands head and shoulders above all others in his team.

Secondly, Buderas may have been the winner last year but this year's form has been ordinary, especially in the light of performances from Priddis, Farrah, Smith and Young.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Show's how much you know when you think Gower is there only to cover hooker. Gower can cover 6,7 and 9 better than Priddis can. That doesn't mean Gower is a better hooker than Priddis

Yeah, because Gower is likely to be subbed in for Johns or Lockyer in an upcoming game. The main reason he's there is to sub on for Buderus, have some impact, and then sub back off. I didn't see him making any such interchanges with either of the halves. He may be in the squad to cover those positions, but he's only included in the team for his Buderus rotation.

Personally I would've thought Wing was a better option, since he could have covered the injury to Tahu far better than Waterhouse did.

So pilotting his team to 10th spot was an achievement? And I suppose his hand in this years wooden spoon was comendable as well?

Nope, but the fact that we finished so strongly definitely deserves some credit. I don't recall any other wooden spooners in history, with the exception of the Bulldogs, ever being given the wrap of being one of the competition's form teams.

Currently your sig is blank which parallels your opinion perfectly.

An intelligent response, except for the fact that you're implying I don't have an opinion - when clearly I do. To highlight my point, here's this:

chriswalkerbushc1.gif

Snoop

Coach
chriswalkerbush said:
Yeah, because Gower is likely to be subbed in for Johns or Lockyer in an upcoming game. The main reason he's there is to sub on for Buderus, have some impact, and then sub back off. I didn't see him making any such interchanges with either of the halves. He may be in the squad to cover those positions, but he's only included in the team for his Buderus rotation.

What if Johns or Lockyer were to get injured? No one else in the team has any vast experience at 6 or 7. Having someone who can cover 3 positions is a great security blanket.

chriswalkerbush said:
Personally I would've thought Wing was a better option, since he could have covered the injury to Tahu far better than Waterhouse did.

If he had played better this year he would have been on the bench for sure. Stuart dicked around with him this year which didn't help.

chriswalkerbush said:
Nope, but the fact that we finished so strongly definitely deserves some credit. I don't recall any other wooden spooners in history, with the exception of the Bulldogs, ever being given the wrap of being one of the competition's form teams.

Yeah, but Johns takes all the credit for that, not Buderas.

Latest posts