What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are we lacking in attack ???

Eelementary

Post Whore
I understand what you are saying but how long? 2 years, 3 years?

The thing for me is we have 2 rookies running the show. Yes it worked last year for 1/2 a year but they definitely will not be consistent. 3 including our hooker.

Ideally, it should happen sooner rather than later. I honestly can't put a time limit on it because I am not privy to how they are training and developing.

But after a long off-season of training together in their respective positions I see no reason why they can't dominate in 2011.

84 Baby

Referee
you may have stumbled on something here, could this be the reason why we're looking as signing a wide running backrower?? :sarcasm:
Here's the ones off contract:
Dene Halatau, Mark Minichiello, Sam Tagataese, Danny Wicks, Luke O'Donnell :sarcasm:, Carl Webb, Frank Pritchard :sarcasm:, Neville Costigan

forward pass

Coach
Our problem is that the halves don't have much in their bag of tricks and the forwards fail to give decent field position.

On the rare occasions that we are in an attacking position, we have no f**king idea. No plan. Just hit it up for a few and maybe kick it to a winger. Don't we practice a grubber through to a running back ? Don't we have rehearsed plays with decoy runners ?

It seems that our only attacking options are tackle 5 bomb, tackle 5 chip to winger or give it to Jazz.

Gus Gould on the Sunday roast had some really interesting things to say about this on Sunday. I think it was Vossy who showed a set of 6 in the 2nd half when we were attacking Saints line and Morts touched the ball once. Hayne also touched it once - 1st tackle.

They basically believed our forwards were overcalling our halves and demanding the ball and I think they may be right. Our halves deserve a rocket if that is the case. But you are right G, there was not a grubber kick or decoy runner to be seen on Friday!

tresurehunt

Juniors
Gus Gould on the Sunday roast had some really interesting things to say about this on Sunday. I think it was Vossy who showed a set of 6 in the 2nd half when we were attacking Saints line and Morts touched the ball once. Hayne also touched it once - 1st tackle.

They basically believed our forwards were overcalling our halves and demanding the ball and I think they may be right. Our halves deserve a rocket if that is the case. But you are right G, there was not a grubber kick or decoy runner to be seen on Friday!

yep spot on ,saw that too.

lingard

Coach
you may have stumbled on something here, could this be the reason why we're looking as signing a wide running backrower?? :sarcasm:

Yes. It`s a damn shame that a certain seven-year rookie with 'bucket loads of talent and endless potential' never decided he`d like to be that man.

lingard

Coach
I honestly think they will. In my opinion, Mortimer, though he has for the most part struggled, has shown glimpses of becoming a good halfback. It will take some time, but he will get there IMO, and when he does, he'll be the next boom halfback. Hell, even next year he'll have a whole off-season training as our First Grade halfback, so that itself will help him.

Keating is a pure 5/8 in my opinion. If he and Mortimer can develop a good combination, and Keating can do a "Finchy" and chime in only when he sees fit, we'll be better for it.

Right now, the best thing to do is be patient. We have young halves who are erratic, but they are certainly talented. Give them time.

This is why, in my opinion, we should bolster our forward pack before looking at our halves and hooker. Try and get a prop or second-rower who runs like a train (Sika Manu would be perfect).

I`m sorry; I could be wrong, but I don`t think Keating is a five-eight`s boot-lace. He`s too erratic, has no football brain, and is only a very average defender.