What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are we so accepting of NRL corruption

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Deliberately inflammatory title and I apologise.

But seriously- we are the biggest victims of bias and nationalism-if-not-racism-if-not-cheating in the comp

Have been since 1995

And yet, we complain less than any other team forum. Other teams actually complain about getting the rough end against us, and we let it slide

Why are we like this?

Is it some sort of Stockholm Syndrome?

Is it just Kiwi self-hatred?

Discuss

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Fair that you think that way, I don't. Are there statistics to show that we are prejudiced?

And it's not racism mate, it's not like the Maori/PI makeup of Australian teams is significantly different to ours.

Do referees subconsciously side with home teams? Yes. Purposely side with Australian teams? I doubt it.

Meth

Staff member
I get it.

Last night’s “corruption” was overt and made me want to do something. But then I thought, ‘what am I going to do?’ Send am email? To who? Whinge on here? For what?

Last edited:

Big Marn

Juniors
its just part of the landscape. I think the refs are just incompetent most of the time, but on the other hand, who would be a referee? You are always going to piss some one off. The fact we have won 4/5 away games this year would suggest we are consistently beating the odds if there is corruption.

Watched last night's game first 10 again as missed it due to slightly late home from work.
Mason pinged for to long in tackle, player was wriggling to get up but it was a 2sec count and he was off. Dominate tackles get around 3 sec

3rd penalty Luke was called offside that gave Para 2 point.
Luke was onside, Blair was close to off depending on what they think is go time, ball on foot or ball in dummy half hand. It was 50/50 If ball on foot but Blair was in front of rest of players so made it look worse. He had no influence on play as was 1 man from ruck and didnt get 1st receiver who passed before and it went through 3 hands before a tackle made.
But they calling all those offside now.

They need a show not of the try highlights, but the ref penalties explaining and showing the camera angles that justify the calls. As a lot of the shots you cant see if they go to early.

It happens both ways. Maumalo bounced a ball in play the ball, also was accidental offside on kick thru that bounced of Kata leg when he ran 50 and we score at the end of the set.

The corruption feels a lot better, but it's probably because of our ladder position.

Most fans are 1 eyed and neutrals have their favourites due to tipping and gambling.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
The first couple of penalties last night were justified.

The thing that got me was how much Parramatta were getting away with in the ruck. It wasn’t being reffed evenly.

Even parramatta fans were admitting it.

Big Marn

Juniors
i saw a lot of really slow rucks with Warriors taking a long time to get off the player and expected to hear the whistle go but didnt. So i think it goes both ways. Then other times, they blow the whistle when it seems like they spent barely any time on the player at all. Maybe its the interpretation of what a dominant tackle is, that players and refs dont agree on. Or, Refs are just bad.

Benek

Juniors
I wonder if part of the problem is that were not as well coached to read the refs. They are all different and they all focus a bit more or less on certain areas of the game. Some teams feel like they test out the refs 10 metres (for example) early on to see what they can get away with, and then adjust strategy for the rest of the game to sit right on that boundary. Whereas we will get pinged for something and not change our game and keep getting called for the same stuff over and over.

That might account for a few penalties here and there, but it doesn't account for being on the wrong end of a lopsided penalty count nearly every game. I don't believe we are actually that far less disciplined than other teams, so it's always a question mark when penalties are so lopsided.

We put up with it because it's always been that way and probably always will be. Just used to it I suppose. Plus as fans, there's nothing we can do about it anyway.

Leber

Bench
I find the commentators are pretty bad. Last night, it was all about the Eels. How good Moses looked, how good their comeback was etc.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
There are some bias as f**k Aussie refs. For example, anyone see the kiwi ferns vs the jillaroos world cup final? it was reffed in Australia by an Australian ref and he was the worst.

I use to think the refs in the NRL were aussie biased but if you read the posts on the other game threads, the other teams posters on this forum believe the refs hate their team the most. Every game its 'the refs hate our team'...

Blair

Coach
It can't be deliberate bias against us. Has anyone here refereed or umpired a sporting match? The last thing you want to do is make a mistake, even worse, being seen making a mistake.

The NRL refs are on TV, they're scrutinized every which way.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Has anyone here refereed or umpired a sporting match? The last thing you want to do is make a mistake, even worse, being seen making a mistake.
Ive reffed a touch rugby semi-final. I couldn't remember any complaints. That was years ago.

Im not a touch ref, I just got asked to ref the game.

JJ

Immortal
A whingy thread, sad

All fans make the same BS arguments. FFS even Storm and Broncos fans think there's a conspiracy against them, get over ir

Meth

Staff member
Ive reffed a touch rugby semi-final. I couldn't remember any complaints. That was years ago.

Im not a touch ref, I just got asked to ref the game.

I used to umpire indoor cricket. Awful gig. Refereeing and umpiring in general. I’ve got a lot of sympathy and time for those who do it- especially for those who do it voluntarily

Meth

Staff member
A whingy thread, sad

All fans make the same BS arguments. FFS even Storm and Broncos fans think there's a conspiracy against them, get over ir

There’s a tinge of emotion (and alcohol) in the thread.

I don’t think we always get the rough end of the stick- but we did last night