What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why didnt we make the 8?

interested to see some thoughts around why this team fell short?

JM?
JH?
The forwards..?
The backs..?
Covid - the bubble?
Moyza?
Woods?
The Chad?
Arsley Klown??
6 Again??
OZ Tag high shots??

What Craigshark said. Lost too many close ones against teams we should've beaten. Often from winning positions. Lack of leadership, on and off the park. I expect that will be rectified next season.

lack of simple power and fitness in the forwards, many of whom were simply well past it, lack of stability / continuity in the halves, and the many injuries to key players.

I thought there were at least 3 games we should have won, Bulldogs at Kogarah, Newcastle and Warriors in Qld, and possibly the first Newcastle game in Newcastle.

ghoti

Bench
Would have come 7th/8th if there was none of the pre/early-season distractions around Bomber, would have been smashed anyway... if anything the year was good for the players to come up through all that bullshit and form a unit (hopefully Fitz can work with that).

It's objectively NUTS that we were in contention at all tbh... top 4 or 5 earners out all or most of the season, depth supremely challenged.. just can't get up there in the finals with all that going on

Bob Scott

Juniors
Our middle was showed up on attack and defence which showed up our lack of a regular halves pairing and left our inexperienced hooker exposed , that along with a complete lack of leadership on the park left us always playing catchup .

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
As much as I love Toby, 90 missed tackles as a middle player is simply not good enough. Second most in the game in 2021, second only to Scott Drinkwater. This needs to be fixed next season if Toby is to hold his spot.

As a team we missed 910 tackles. Just for perspective, Reece Robson from the Cowboys made 911 on his own. For us to miss that amount is crazy. That’s where the problem was for us this year.

Don Tweddle

Juniors
We missed over 900 tackles this season. That’s why.

Yep. 1st in missed tackles. 2nd in ineffective tackles. Our middle forwards were often our worst offenders on this front.

I expect this will improve massively under Fitzgibbon. "They missed a lot of tackles through the middle" is not something you often heard about the Roosters during the Robinson/Fitz years.

R-15-3

Juniors
Simple SPEED in every aspect of our game.
SPEED of our line in defence
SPEED in our kick chase
SPEED in our middle forwards
SPEED in our half’s
SPEED is missing all over the park.
Match up our players in every position against the same position in the top 4 teams and I dare say every single player is slower with Metcalf as our only exception.

Defence and no leadership is a given, that can be fixed along with most things we failed in. SPEED can’t be taught it needs to be bought into the team for us to be a top 4 team.