What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do merged clubs perform so poorly?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Looking at memberships, financials growth, supporter base etc definitely Manly and Cronulla. Dragons and Tigers have struggled financially recently so the third would be a toss up between them.

Our football club is actually one of the most financial viable in Sydney and had been for a few years. Dont confuse Balmain with Wests Tigers, they are completely seperate

Vic Mackey

Referee
Wests Tigers have been a failure, theres too many reasons and not enough time to go into why here. Approx every 4-5 years we've been on the brink of (likely sustained) success to then have it thwarted by either bad decisions from management or plain bad luck.

Despite the cluster on the field recently the club has actually been doing well off it and has put some important steps in place to hopefully long term success. I don't expect fans of other clubs to know about this. The COE opens in 3 months, this will be huge for the club. 2023 should be a realistic top 8 year.

Even with all the abysmal showings the club has generally in the top 3 for Sydney crowds every year and currently has more members then a number of successful Sydney clubs. Make no mistake if any other Sydney club had 3 finals appearances in 21 years they would likely have died by now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wests Tigers have been a failure, theres too many reasons and not enough time to go into why here. Approx every 4-5 years we've been on the brink of (likely sustained) success to then have it thwarted by either bad decisions from management or plain bad luck.

Despite the cluster on the field recently the club has actually been doing well off it and has put some important steps in place to hopefully long term success. I don't expect fans of other clubs to know about this. The COE opens in 3 months, this will be huge for the club. 2023 should be a realistic top 8 year.

Even with all the abysmal showings the club has generally in the top 3 for Sydney crowds every year and currently has more members then a number of successful Sydney clubs. Make no mistake if any other Sydney club had 3 finals appearances in 21 years they would likely have died by now.
Do CofE's make players play better, or just help attract better players?

beave

Coach

Is Balmain Leagues Club still the Bowls Club mate? When I lived in Sydney in the late 90's/early 2K's I enjoyed going back to the Balmain Leaguesy on Victoria Rd
after games when the Cowboys were in town.

I saw some pics of its current state and it's heartbreaking to see it like that.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Do CofE's make players play better, or just help attract better players?
i think both. ive been in the facilities at concord and im not exaggerating when i say that most local A Grade teams have better ones. when the club moves there in march/april it will create a lot of excitement around the club and hopefully a good atmosphere between the players.

this generation of payers are different to 20 years ago. they want everything to be new, shiny, sexy instagramworthy. the club needs all the help they can get in attracting players, this will help a lot

and if most (all?) NRL clubs will have them, that will cancel out the effect.
it will at least have us on a more even playing field

Vic Mackey

Referee
Is Balmain Leagues Club still the Bowls Club mate? When I lived in Sydney in the late 90's/early 2K's I enjoyed going back to the Balmain Leaguesy on Victoria Rd

I saw some pics of its current state and it's heartbreaking to see it like that.

nothing has changed sadly, and i doubt it will anytime soon

Pork Hunt

Juniors
It's merkins like you are exactly why I wouldn't want WA back in the competition ever.

From West Coast to the Wildcats we don't need you feral merkins from across the Nullarbor in the NRL.

Dubai of the Southern Hemisphere, lol.

If that was really the case why is everyone leaving Perth for the east.
Adelaide: the place where meth-heads and blowflies go to die.

Dogs Of War

Coach

At one point they had the markets club at homebush as well. Seems West Ashfield has bought it out. Some of the best yum cha in Sydney. Actually that's the only reason to go to that club.