What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do merged clubs perform so poorly?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Question for anyone in the know... why were they called Illawarra when the city / town is called Wollongong? The only reference I can find to Illawarra is the lake.
During the 19th century and into the 20th century, anywhere south of the Cooks River was referred to as the Illawarra. There's still evidence of this with street names on both sides of the river (eg in Marrickville and Arncliffe).

Of course nowadays it refers to the region further south but the origins are interesting.

During the 19th century and into the 20th century, anywhere south of the Cooks River was referred to as the Illawarra. There's still evidence of this with street names on both sides of the river (eg in Marrickville and Arncliffe).

Of course nowadays it refers to the region further south but the origins are interesting.
The word Illawarra refers in the Tharawal language, place by the sea, or pleasant place by the sea. The Tharawal nation stretched from south of the Sydney harbour to the Shoalhaven, and out to Camden and Campbelltown.
the word Illawarra was also used by the locals to call the area known as “the place of five islands”, the area which is around Wollongong. The locals having named that area for thousands of years, not just “nowadays”

Last edited:
The word Illawarra refers in the Tharawal language, place by the sea, or pleasant place by the sea. The Tharawal nation stretched from south of the Sydney harbour to the Shoalhaven, and out to Camden and Campbelltown.
the word Illawarra was also used by the locals to call the area known as “the place of five islands”, the area which is around Wollongong. The locals having named that area for thousands of years, not just “nowadays”
None of this taught at school back in the day, unfortunately.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yes, aka Dharawal. To be more precise (which is little hard given the appalling lack of info on this subject), Dharawal country spread down the coast from Botany Bay to Nowra. The Georges and Cook Rivers flow into the bay as I'm sure you know.

It's thought 'Illawarra' comes from 'Allowrie' (yep, same as the name of the butter). Both 'Illa' and 'warra' also have meaning in the local language. IMO, it's most likely a combo given that it's not unusual for Europeans to bastardise the language. Apparently Governor Macquarie thought the locals called it Illawarra so that's what stuck.

Either way, Illawarra is much better than naming it after some English Lord who never set foot here.

Vee

First Grade
Yes, aka Dharawal. To be more precise (which is little hard given the appalling lack of info on this subject), Dharawal country spread down the coast from Botany Bay to Nowra. The Georges and Cook Rivers flow into the bay as I'm sure you know.

It's thought 'Illawarra' comes from 'Allowrie' (yep, same as the name of the butter). Both 'Illa' and 'warra' also have meaning in the local language. IMO, it's most likely a combo given that it's not unusual for Europeans to bastardise the language. Apparently Governor Macquarie thought the locals called it Illawarra so that's what stuck.

Either way, Illawarra is much better than naming it after some English Lord who never set foot here.
Thanks for the history lesson.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I just don't suffer fools like you who have their head firmly up their own arse.
I’ve had a bit of a running battle with PR on and off mainly because he continually death rode the Sharks and I guess saw them folding as the best chance of getting a W.A team. Tbh Perth are overdue and I hope they become the 18th team. Time slot works well and there is enough expats over there to build a solid fan base. I also have an issue with all these interstaters trying to find solutions for Sydney issues. Clearly some of them have no understanding of Sydney. Would be like me advising Queenslander’s or Sandgropers of what to do in their state. Wouldn’t bother…. leave it to the locals.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Back on topic though…. I reckon part of the issue with mergers not being as successful as they should is getting the two respective boards on the same page. Plenty of big egos involved which need to be put aside for the betterment of the merged entity. Doust and his cronies being a good example.

yep.
Even using the word Elourea would not be out of place, as some mob would use for basically the same areas.
I dare say they are the same word, just said in different accents, or dialects.
My mob are Gamillaroi but I was born, and grew up, in Tharawal. Not knowing my people I took great interest in where I was born instead, and learnt where I could when I was a youngster.
Its a bit different these days as access to info is a great deal easier.
Cheers.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
yep.
Even using the word Elourea would not be out of place, as some mob would use for basically the same areas.
I dare say they are the same word, just said in different accents, or dialects.
My mob are Gamillaroi but I was born, and grew up, in Tharawal. Not knowing my people I took great interest in where I was born instead, and learnt where I could when I was a youngster.
Its a bit different these days as access to info is a great deal easier.
Cheers.
It is better now but still a long way to go. It certainly wasn't taught in school in my day and the literature available was severely lacking. Captain Cook on the other hand...

It is better now but still a long way to go. It certainly wasn't taught in school in my day and the literature available was severely lacking. Captain Cook on the other hand...
Yeah, infants and primary school in the 70's they still did the same, the 80's in high school they "progressed" to acknowledge the Dutch, none ventured towards the Portuguese. The vernacular did start to change from "first people" to "first europeans". Being not too far from Far-Kurnell made it all even more twisted in my stomach
The kids at school these days get taught a hell of a lot more about indigenous ways and people
Good talk, nice one.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
not really, their crowd avg in 97 was bigger than their avg’s 2012-2016 . what makes you say they are so much bigger now?
Not sure I necessarily agree with that.

I go to Port's games occasionally (Mrs Sharky is a Port fan) and the Power have much bigger crowds at Adelaide Oval than they ever did at Footy Park outside of Showdowns.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Corporate money, memberships, crowds etc. Pre covid of course.

Do you disagree?
Crowds arent massively different (around 4-5% increase from 1997 largely coinciding with the improvements to the stadium). Rest I cant comment on as I don't have any stats from 97/98 in memberships and sponsorship revenue. I'm sure both clubs are bigger (you'd hope for growth over a 20 year period), but if they are now so big that there isnt room for an NRL club is a subjective opinion I suppose. Rams seemed to be carving out a market for themselves in their short lifespan, dnt really see any reason they couldn't again with a committed NRL behind them.