What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do you support the eels

Freak

Juniors
Neither my parents were big league fans. My old man followed the bulldogs and my mum followed the tigers but they never went to any games and still have not to this day. My first memories of following the Eels was attending rugby league grand final parties / BBQ's in the early 80's!!
We lived close enough to Cumberland oval to hear the noise on game days so the whole suburb was dressed in blue and gold around GF time!! I remember the local baker seliing blue and gold bread!! Never went to a home game until the Stadium opened in 1986 and to this day one of my biggest regrets was never seeing a game at the old Cumberland Oval!!

My first game I attended was the Stadium opening against the Dragons as a 11 year old. My soccer coach at the time was a bit of an Eel and took a handful of us to the game and we sat on the Nth Hill. Since that day I have probably missed approximately a dozen home games in 19 years.

It's weird the things you remember;
Such as getting in for free with your school footy pass and then passing it to your mates through the fence for them to get in.
The comeback game against Canberra losing 22-0 half time and getting booed off the field.
Beating Norths 11-10 with Sterlo kicking a 40 metre drop goal early in the game
The old Parra boys sitting on the nth hill drinking
Being the only Oz team to beat the UK on the same night Martin Ofyer got beat in a sprint race against Odinryan
The rimbles for the ball on the hills.
Jumping the fence in the corners of the hill / terrace in the lead up games to get a seat in the terrace, or if we were really game we hiked round the back of the terrace jumped the barbed wire fence to get up into the Grand stand!!
Riding the pushy down to Parra Park and chaining it up to go watch the game
The secret parking spots you could park the car
Going to KICKS nightclub after Friday night victories (althought I didn't need an excuse to go to KICKS)
The entire 2001 season
Putting the old enermy (Scumdogs) to the sword at home this year

Hopefully we are about 11 days away from another great memory - The best memory possible. I sense the boys are so committed to this one - It has to be our turn!!

Go you mighty Matters!!

Parra Guru

Coach
I grew up in Northmead, and my whole family followed them, so it was an easy choice!!

My first Eels memory is meeting Peter Wynn down at Northmead Cellars when I was about 5 (I wasn't purchasing booze, my Uncle was), and I was wearing my jersey, which he signed for me.

I used to listen to the games on the radio with my uncle and run around the back yard doing my own commentary.

Other than that, we then moved to Pendle Hill, and I started going to the games when I made more friends that followed footy.... and haven't looked back since!

hahaha, by the way, MITS, great story!!! Love the Artie Beetson part!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm sure I've relayed this story before.

I was taken to my first game which was a major semi in 1977 between Easts and Parra by my next door neighbour at the time who was Parra diehard fan i can remeber the game vivadly and would love to get a copy of it if anyone out there has it, we ended up winning 15-5 and it got us to the grand final.

I then attended many matches at the great Cumberland oval standing on the pool side of the ground and used to wait for the roar to go up around the ground at 1:30pm when Pricey would be walking from the Victoria road entrence to the pool side and then around to the old Grandstand and remember greeting him every time he walked past, he used to ask me "how are you this week" ..it was always a great thrill.

Suitman

Post Whore
eelavation said:
I then attended many matches at the great Cumberland oval standing on the pool side of the ground and used to wait for the roar to go up around the ground at 1:30pm when Pricey would be walking from the Victoria road entrence to the pool side and then around to the old Grandstand and remember greeting him every time he walked past, he used to ask me "how are you this week" ..it was always a great thrill.

Amazing. I remember that as well, primarily because mum stitched us up a banner -"The Ray Price Stand", which we used to have at the southern end of the ground next to the scoreboard. He used to get a standing ovation all the way around the ground, particularly at the southern end in front of our sign.
Ahhhhh, those were the days.

Suity

eelandia

Juniors
How about being thrown up in the air by a family member and cracking my head on the light just after Parra scored to level the 77 GF at 9-all.

When your whole family supports a team, it would be sacrilege not to support them as well.

Parra Guru

Coach
eelavation said:
I'm sure I've relayed this story before.

It's moments like these that make it great to support the Eels!!!

V1er

Juniors
since about 1988, did go for dogs before that time as did mum, but our car got stolen from belmore once during a game so we never went back and quickly became a parra supporter seeing they were pretty close to where i live.

Nickeel

Juniors
V1er said:
since about 1988, did go for dogs before that time as did mum, but our car got stolen from belmore once during a game so we never went back and quickly became a parra supporter seeing they were pretty close to where i live.

Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

Nick

Stagger eel

Staff member
V1er said:

now there's a story with a happy ending.

-Gurueel-

Juniors
my dad came from overseas and couldn't understand a word of english and turned on the telie and saw the grand final replay and was intrigued by the guts of ray price and developed a hatred of rod reddy and the dragons. He's been die hard parra fan since then, and basically even since i was born it's been if you go for parra you can stay, if you don't then find another family.

Suitman

Post Whore
-Gurueel- said:
my dad came from overseas and couldn't understand a word of english and turned on the telie and saw the grand final replay and was intrigued by the guts of ray price and developed a hatred of rod reddy and the dragons. He's been die hard parra fan since then, and basically even since i was born it's been if you go for parra you can stay, if you don't then find another family.

Now that is a story I like to hear.
An immigrant family taking an instant love of our culture and sport.
Well done Guru family, and well done Mr Gurueel - you are a legend.

Suity

-Gurueel-

Juniors
It's true suity - the man is just a die hard, i don't know how you could possibly go for another team with a father like that.

He recently re-tiled our pool with blue tiles, and without anyone knowing he bought some yellow ones and tiled the word EELS into it...it looks hottttt

Parra Guru

Coach
-Gurueel- said:
It's true suity - the man is just a die hard, i don't know how you could possibly go for another team with a father like that.

He recently re-tiled our pool with blue tiles, and without anyone knowing he bought some yellow ones and tiled the word EELS into it...it looks hottttt

Can we swap Dads? ;-)

Hellsy

Immortal
-Gurueel- said:

What a bloody BRILLIANT idea!!!!! Your Dad sounds like an awesome fan Gurueel

-Gurueel-

Juniors
Hellsy said:
What a bloody BRILLIANT idea!!!!! Your Dad sounds like an awesome fan Gurueel

he is totally. such a good bloke. the nurses at RPA knew who he was because after every semi or grandfinal loss in the 80s he'd be rushed there by his mates/family cos he was so distraught - they'd give him an injection to calm down lol go dad

fish eel

Immortal
My Grandmother of all people ingrained it into me when I was a kid. Basically from the time I could crawl, she was knitting me Parramatta jumpers!

She loves her eels she does and has been a staunch supporter for as long as she can remember. She's been to all our Grand Final victories and took me to my first match, an early 80s finals versus Manly at the SCG.

For years when I was a kid, whenever we'd play at the SCG, she'd take me. One great memory I'll always have is every time the Crow got tackled, she'd shout out 'Get off my Michael!'

When I was old enough, I started returning the favour taking her to Parramatta Stadium now and then.

We've had some great times there together, sitting up in the Cronin stand when we beat the poms is a stand out memory, as was being with her on the eastern terrace for Brett Kenny's last match.

Unfortunately, she had a stroke in 2000, but has still managed to make fleeting appearances at Parramatta Stadium in her wheelchair. She now regards Hindy in the same breath as the Crow, and always says, win or lose I dont care, just as long as they put in and play like a team.

This Sunday my mother is taking her along for her first eels match this year. Its shame she wont see Hindy, but hopefully a great eels win.

Hellsy

Immortal
-Gurueel- said:
he is totally. such a good bloke. the nurses at RPA knew who he was because after every semi or grandfinal loss in the 80s he'd be rushed there by his mates/family cos he was so distraught - they'd give him an injection to calm down lol go dad

Good on him!!
My Nan can't make it to the games anymore either, the stairs are just too much for her and, well, so is watching the games live!!!
She sits back at home with her Foxtel though!!

Latest posts