What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do you support the Parramatta Eels?

lucablight

First Grade
So I noticed with interest a while back that we have the largest supporter base of any Sydney club. https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/...iers-penrith-panthers-enjoy-a-jump-in-support

I was wondering where the motivation comes from for people especially since we haven’t won a premiership since 1986. Me, personally I’ve always lived and grown up in western Sydney (In the Blacktown LGA) and the school I went to gave me a junior pass to all Parra regular season games which made me a fan for life.

Also out of curiosity do most Parra fans here live locally in Eels Territory? Being in the Blacktown area I travel to Mt Druitt and Penrith sometimes and I seem to see just as many Parra jerseys as Penrith ones so our reach seems to extend all over Western Sydney. I wonder why we have such a wide reach and resonate with so many fans despite our lack of success in winning comps.
Why are you a Parra fan?

Gronk

Staff member
Yeah thanks Dad*.

Losing My Mind GIF

* Well actually thanks to Dad I saw the 1976, 77, 77, 81, 82, 83, 84 and 86 GFs at the SCG.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Born and raised in Isabella St, Nth Parra, went to St Pats primary school and then Marist Bros.

Played Commonwealth Bank Cup for Parra Marist.

Left Sydney when I was 20 cuz not a big city person but there has only ever been 1 NRL team for me.

Wally21

Bench
Born in Parra hospital, like Soren, grew up in Greystanes, whole family supported, particularly my mums side (10 uncles and aunties from Toonie, Maltese of course) so it was my destiny.
moved for a while into Panfers territory but have been in Surry Hills for a long time now.
my son had no choice, would have been homeless if he followed anyone else!!

Parra Pride

Coach
As a kid I always kind of liked the Tigers because I thought the animal was cool, and at that point when watching footy I’d just support whoever I thought had the coolest mascot. It was only family who supported the Eels getting swept up in the 2001 season that got me on board, funnily enough the first game I ever went to was actually Parra belting the Tigers in that very season. Needless to say I hate my family for the suffering supporting this basket case has caused.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Why are you a Parra fan?
Passed down from family, my Dad having attended Cumberland oval in the Thornett era. Both sides of my family were Parramatta-based, and I grew up in the area when we had our early-80s success. While I don't live there now, that's still a lot of Parra in my veins.