What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do you support the Parramatta Eels?

Suitman

Post Whore
I spent the first 7 years of my life in Weston st at Harris Park.
Dad used to take myself and my brothers there. This was late sixties and early 70's. I would sometimes sit on his shoulders as he stood in front of the commentary box to the left of the old Cumbo Oval grandstand, but in those early days, I would mostly spend the afternoon sliding down the back of the north hill on empty ice-cream boxes.
In 1971, we moved to Dundas (growing family). Dad continued to take us (and mum would come occasionally as well). Then we started going with friends from the new street in Dundas.
I was hooked from the very early days.
By the time I was 13/14, and with my RL schoolboy free pass, I was heading into Cumberland Oval at 11 am to queue up outside the gates to then run over to the grandstand, lay a picnic blanket over about 3 of the wooden bench seats, and save a spot for my mum and dad who would come in later.
I was hooked at a very young age.
Again, at that age, I would go with other Parra loving school mates to every Parra away game in Sydney by public transport. Endeavour, Penrith Park when it was still an oval, Kogarah, Belmore (before the west stand was built - it was just a tall bitumen terrace), North Sydney Oval, Leichardt, Henson Park, Redfern Oval, Roosters at the old Sydney Sports Ground.
Brookvale I used to get to by the buses provided by the club.
I was very lucky to grow up during the anticipation years, when Parra was on the rise. Cumberland had great crowds and away games had huge amounts of Eels fans.
My (our) mum spent weeks sewing up a banner at home saying "The Ray Price Stand", which my brothers or myself took to almost every game, both home and away, and to semi and grand finals. We used to hold it up with tall pieces of timber dowel which slotted into sewed holes on either side. Taking the poles to away games on the train was quite the pain in the arse as they were so long but nobody seemed to give a shit then. The sign was seen on tv dozens of times.
Anyway, I could go on and on, which I already have. Needless to say, if not for my recently and dearly loved departed father, I'm not really sure where my RL allegiances would lay today.
I cannot really imagine following anyone else tbh.

chiefy1

Juniors
At primary school I swapped between a few clubs because of their logos like the sharks & dragon, but because Parramatta were the in thing at the time I've supported then ever since. Also lived in the surrounding district

I don’t support the eels, but have friends and family in your mysterious cult.

Plus I’m a big fan of Peter Wynn whom I’ve met a few times and discussed coaches. Legend.

And I’m a fully paid up member of your leagues club.

Prefer your venue above all others to see the Tigers.

IMG_7054.jpeg
Taken a few minutes ago for this thread- Church St Tramway.

So I’m pretty close to the action without taking part in the actual human sacrifices.

Hide behind the curtains breathing heavily.

I’ve seen @blue bags sneaking around in his bald disguise too.

Last edited:

Wally21

Bench
I spent the first 7 years of my life in Weston st at Harris Park.
Dad used to take myself and my brothers there. This was late sixties and early 70's. I would sometimes sit on his shoulders as he stood in front of the commentary box to the left of the old Cumbo Oval grandstand, but in those early days, I would mostly spend the afternoon sliding down the back of the north hill on empty ice-cream boxes.
In 1971, we moved to Dundas (growing family). Dad continued to take us (and mum would come occasionally as well). Then we started going with friends from the new street in Dundas.
I was hooked from the very early days.
By the time I was 13/14, and with my RL schoolboy free pass, I was heading into Cumberland Oval at 11 am to queue up outside the gates to then run over to the grandstand, lay a picnic blanket over about 3 of the wooden bench seats, and save a spot for my mum and dad who would come in later.
I was hooked at a very young age.
Again, at that age, I would go with other Parra loving school mates to every Parra away game in Sydney by public transport. Endeavour, Penrith Park when it was still an oval, Kogarah, Belmore (before the west stand was built - it was just a tall bitumen terrace), North Sydney Oval, Leichardt, Henson Park, Redfern Oval, Roosters at the old Sydney Sports Ground.
Brookvale I used to get to by the buses provided by the club.
I was very lucky to grow up during the anticipation years, when Parra was on the rise. Cumberland had great crowds and away games had huge amounts of Eels fans.
My (our) mum spent weeks sewing up a banner at home saying "The Ray Price Stand", which my brothers or myself took to almost every game, both home and away, and to semi and grand finals. We used to hold it up with tall pieces of timber dowel which slotted into sewed holes on either side. Taking the poles to away games on the train was quite the pain in the arse as they were so long but nobody seemed to give a shit then. The sign was seen on tv dozens of times.
Anyway, I could go on and on, which I already have. Needless to say, if not for my recently and dearly loved departed father, I'm not really sure where my RL allegiances would lay today.
I cannot really imagine following anyone else tbh.
Great story Suity! I was with all my family under the commentary shed to the left of the old grandstand as well. And I remember your banner well!!
Great days in the 70’s and then 80’s after the new stadium opened. I used to take the supporters bus from the leagues club to away games with my mates. There was some “special” people on that bus!!!

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don’t support the eels, but have friends and family in your mysterious cult.

Plus I’m a big fan of Peter Wynn whom I’ve met a few times and discussed coaches. Legend.

And I’m a fully paid up member of your leagues club.

Prefer your venue above all others to see the Tigers.

View attachment 76253
Taken a few minutes ago for this thread- Church St Tramway.

So I’m pretty close to the action without taking part in the actual human sacrifices.

Hide behind the curtains breathing heavily.

I’ve seen @blue bags sneaking around in his bald disguise too.
Don't spend too much time in Eat Street.

1688126022892.png

EelsFan05

Bench
I grew up in Panthers territory. My mum's family lived in Smithfield and were hardened Eels fans. My old man and brothers supported Souths. My uncle, on my mums side, was my idol growing up. He took me to the footy, so the Eels it was for me. Loved the emblem in the 80's and the blue and gold colours.

I've despised the Panther's since we beat them by a field goal at Penrith. Sometime in the mid to late 90's. Young and full of.... testosterone... I gave Brandy a fair send off in the car park after the game. He turned around, dropped his bag and gave me the double bird. I thought he was gonna have me lol. So I thought f**k it, I hate you merkins. Teenage logic....

eels_fan

First Grade
Born and raised in Fairfield. My folks considered themselves parra fans but I would have called it a “casual” following.

I wasn’t really into footy as a child at all, and didn’t go to my first game until 1997 when I went with a friend and his family to shark park to see sharks v broncos. We were allowed on the field at full time and I remember thinking “this is great, what have I been missing”. I thought for a fleeting moment that I’d be a sharks supporter, but the following year the company my dad managed became an eels sponsor which came with a tickets in the members box (indoor and outdoor). My dad took me along and after the game I got to go into the sheds and meet all the players, still have my signed big league mag somewhere - if I find it I’ll post it one day. I was totally hooked from that moment. The heartbreak of being in the crowd in the 98 prelim against the dogs (we were right in line with Halligan’s sideline conversion to tie the game) certainly readied me for the future 2 prelim losses to come and then the 01 GF. We got season tickets in 02 and dad and I kept them until 05 when I moved to the GC.

my missus is a broncos supporter, but our son is an ironed on Eel. Was great to take him to the GF last year despite the result, and we usually get to most of the SE Qld games each year

the phantom menace

First Grade
I remember seeing that sign loads at the games, and captured on the TV replays.

TheRam

Coach
Because Freud would say, I hate myself and love my mother a little to much.

But what did that loser hack know? I'm just plain stupid.

Eelogical

Referee
Family move from Lismore to Sydney in 1969 saw us settle in Rydalmere. I went to MBHS which had blue and gold as their sporting colours. We also had school carnivals at Cumberland Oval, but at the time I was oblivious to the Eels and Cumberland being their home ground. It wasn’t until 1976 that I got swept into the Eels culture and what it meant by the friends I had made. I was in the leagues club on the 1981 GF day/night but didn’t see who burned the grandstand down (some say it was Hineyrulz, some say that Gary had a hand in it, but I reckon it was a local who still lives in the area).

Avenger

Immortal
I grew up around Fairfield and during that time the world was different. Much more tribalism. My earliest memory was the mid week games that were mostly hosted at Leichhardt Oval.

As a 8 year old it was all about colours and I remember really liking the colours of the Tigers and Sharks. Then this kid at school whose uncle was Denis Fitzgerald told me that you should support your local team and that our local team was about to play their second grand final against Saints. It was 1977.

Still remember Cronin attempting to convert a kick that would have won our first GF after Ed Sulkowicz scored. It stayed 9 all and my late father and I were both confused as we assumed we would be both champions. When we lost the replay 22 nil I remember balling my eyes out.

Then the 80’s came and we had the last laugh especially me because I went to a high school full of hardcore Bulldogs supporters.

Since then the Eels have been my greatest sporting love. Everything else comes a distant second.

lingard

Coach
Family move from Lismore to Sydney in 1969 saw us settle in Rydalmere. I went to MBHS which had blue and gold as their sporting colours. We also had school carnivals at Cumberland Oval, but at the time I was oblivious to the Eels and Cumberland being their home ground. It wasn’t until 1976 that I got swept into the Eels culture and what it meant by the friends I had made. I was in the leagues club on the 1981 GF day/night but didn’t see who burned the grandstand down (some say it was Hineyrulz, some say that Gary had a hand in it, but I reckon it was a local who still lives in the area).
I went to MBHS as well. What years were you there?

TheRam

Coach
It's really an awesome stadium / build. Pride of the league imo.

Even better than the original 1980s stadium plan which didn't end up making it - and probably would've needed replacement by now anyway.

View attachment 76306

I don't know if anyone remembers but that original stadium model that was planned was costed at only $15m at the time but due to legal proceedings with the 'Friends of Parramatta Park', by the time it was all over and finally approved costs had risen so much that we ended up getting the anemic watered down version instead. With friends like that eh?

Latest posts