What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do you support your team?

Edward

Juniors
With it being the off-season, and not much rugby league to talk about, I thought now would be a good time to ask "Why do you support your team?"

Following a rugby league team is something most of us probably take very seriously (or we would not have joined this forum). Unfortunately too, because of the number of teams in the comp, we are going to experience more lows than highs (i.e., winning competitions) yet we return, year in, year out, to do it all again.

So what is the reason you chose your team?

Did your family support them when you were growing up?
Did you live in the area?
Was there a player in the team you liked?
Did their playing style attract you?
Did your friends go for them?

Or was there another reason?

Cheers.

Eelementary

Post Whore
My whole family goes for the Eels. That, and dad would regale me with stories of players such as Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny, Ray Price and Mick Cronin. I fell in love with this club.

Special K

Coach
Did your family support them when you were growing up? No
Did you live in the area? No
Was there a player in the team you liked? Yeah ET
Did their playing style attract you? I guess
Did your friends go for them? No

Basically I really liked the black, white and blue and the sharks logo as a kid.

Shire Panther

Juniors
Growing up in the Shire not many people went for Cronulla, my family followed the Magpies and Eels.

I only really started to follow the footy at the start of the 90's and that is when Penrith started being successful, I have been a fan ever since and will be till the day I die.

I have also converted my wife from the Eels, my 2yr old son is already a member and so will our new bub when he/she is born next year.

I was amazed by Greg Alexanders skill level the man was a freak. There was actually a few of my friends growing up that went for Penrith and to the best of my knowledge they still do although I don't really see them very often anymore.

Go you mighty Panthers!!!:D

Last edited:

Born and bred Canberran, couldn't ever support a team outside of this great city if they have a team in a sporting competition I follow.

Did your family support them when you were growing up? No, although none of my family follow RL (they don't follow sport tbh).

Sure do.

Brett Mullins, Laurie Daley, Ken Nagas.

I didn't really pay attention to it at the time.

Nah.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Did your family support them when you were growing up? No
Did you live in the area? No
Was there a player in the team you liked? Yeah ET
Did their playing style attract you? I guess
Did your friends go for them? No

Basically I really liked the black, white and blue and the sharks logo as a kid.

Special K is Mrs Mellor.

Flapper

First Grade
Dad went for Balmain, hence so did I.

The funny thing is though when we merged he jumped ship to Penrith. I stuck solid though, and so shall my kids when I have them.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach

Born and bred Canberran, couldn't ever support a team outside of this great city if they have a team in a sporting competition I follow.

Did your family support them when you were growing up? No, although none of my family follow RL (they don't follow sport tbh).

Sure do.

Brett Mullins, Laurie Daley, Ken Nagas.

I didn't really pay attention to it at the time.

Nah.

That makes sense. As if you'd have friends.

Joker's Wild

Coach
My Granparents lived in Newcastle but my old man hated my step-Nan. He used to conveniently organise a trip up there when the Knights were playing at home on a Sunday arvo so we could have the obligatory lunch visit then piss off early and take me to the footy. I was one of those kids who liked to be different and being a Knights fan in Wollongong in the late 80s was pretty different.

snickers007

Juniors
I was about 4 years old and we had a black cat. I also really liked the old Bridgestone ads that had a Panther in them. When I found out that there was a Panthers footy team, I pledged my allegiance.

Most of my family are Eels fans, so it was a bit left-field.

Favorite player became Brandy Alexander, although I had a real thing for Greg Barwick as well. Still remember crying for hours after the 1990 GF loss, as I couldn't understand why Brandy kept kicking the ball out.

cleary89

Coach
So what is the reason you chose your team? First item of clothing I ever wore was a dragons jersey

Did your family support them when you were growing up? Yeh dad did.
Did you live in the area? I grew up in the area (till i was 4) and dad grew up there too.
Was there a player in the team you liked? mark coyne
Did their playing style attract you? not a clue, can't really remember anything before '99
Did your friends go for them? my best mate's family were RU fans so now he goes for them and comes to every home game with me, my dad and like 6 of my dads mates.

carcharias

Immortal
Yes - dad played for them. Mum went for the dragons. Was the president of their fan club and married a dragons player . She left him for my dad.
Yes
No
yes
Most of their dad's played for the sharks as well.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Yes - dad played for them. Mum went for the dragons. Was the president of their fan club and married a dragons player . She left him for my dad.
Yes
No
yes
Most of their dad's played for the sharks as well.

:lol::lol:

That is f**king awesome Carch.

I feel sorry for all of your friends Dad's though.

And your Mum shagged a Dragons player.

Not to worry. My wife used to shag a Raiders player. Someones always had it worse.

Last edited:

Latest posts