What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do you support your team?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Most successful team in the history of rugby league.

Oldest surviving team in the NRL.

And news ltd hated them and anyone or anything news ltd hates has to be good.

Wait, so you started supporting a team for no other reason than the fact that they won 20 premierships over 40 years ago, and they have been established 7 days longer than Easts?

_snafu_

Immortal
Ridiculous geniused logic that is a terrible fail of a troll attempt. Not being in the comp for 2 years does not mean the club isn't 104 years old.

Easts have the distinction of being the only club to be part of every season, but we are the oldest club.

No, you merged with Norffs.

juro

Bench
Did your family support them when you were growing up? I grew up in the Parramatta area, and my family were all Parra fans (but not particularly passionate). I was a Parra fan until the age of 13 when I switched to the Tigers

Did you live in the area? Not when I started following them but I moved to the area when I bought my first place

Was there a player in the team you liked? Scotty Gale, Jimmy Jack, Benny Elias, Siro, ...

Did their playing style attract you? Yes

Did your friends go for them? No

I think it was a combination of teenage rebellion, liking the players and their style, and the logo that led me to my decision...

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
grew up in surry hills but spent alot of time at my grandparents in rose bay.

played most of my junior footy for paddington tigers (easts juniors).

Silent Knight

First Grade
Born in Penriff and went to a few Panthers games with my Dad when I was a kid. Moved to Newcastle though when I was 7 and one day I met up with my great grand father and he asked me "what footy team do you support son?" and I replied "the mighty Penny Panthers".

My great grand dad gave me this look of disgust and said "not any more you're not, from this day onwards you're a Knights supporter!" My grand dad made sure I received a Knights collector ball and Henny Penny jersey for my birthday that very same year I moved to Newy.

Before he passed away he used to sit on the hill for every home game and told me about the players. I used to marvel at the strength of Mark Sargent, Tony Butterfield and Paul Harragon. I used to cheer when Ash the Flash Gordon, Michael Hagan or Brett Grogan crossed over for a try.

My dad kept supporting the Panthers and my brother followed the Sharks up until the Super League War, then turned his back on the code entirely. The playing style was always attractive because the Knights for the most part placed an emphasis on expansive, attack-oriented football.

All my mates followed the Knights, except for one d***head who followed Souffs and actually considered them to be the pride of the league. He copped it deluxe in 1999 :lol:

My mates used to sit on the old wooden benches just to the right of the goal posts and we'd alternate between firing up our players and shouting insults at the visiting players. It wasn't just us though, most of the 20000 plus crowd at each home game would give it to the visiting team massively after Joey started banging in the nails. You could see it in the players' faces that they didn't want to be there.

The Joey years were the best. Most Knights fans would turn up at the ground expecting the team to win, and we rarely walked away disappointed. The biggest rivalry in those years imo was against the Roosters. The Fittler vs Johns battles were epic. Two great attacking teams going at each others' throats. That 2000 semi was gut wrenching.

BunniesMan

Immortal
So the most succesful team ever is also the least succesful team over the last 30 or 40 years, lol.
And the 3rd most successful of the last 12 months. It's a funny world.
Born in Penriff and went to a few Panthers games with my Dad when I was a kid. Moved to Newcastle though when I was 7 and one day I met up with my great grand father and he asked me "what footy team do you support son?" and I replied "the mighty Penny Panthers".

My great grand dad gave me this look of disgust and said "not any more you're not, from this day onwards you're a Knights supporter!" My grand dad made sure I received a Knights collector ball and Henny Penny jersey for my birthday that very same year I moved to Newy.

Before he passed away he used to sit on the hill for every home game and told me about the players. I used to marvel at the strength of Mark Sargent, Tony Butterfield and Paul Harragon. I used to cheer when Ash the Flash Gordon, Michael Hagan or Brett Grogan crossed over for a try.

My dad kept supporting the Panthers and my brother followed the Sharks up until the Super League War, then turned his back on the code entirely. The playing style was always attractive because the Knights for the most part placed an emphasis on expansive, attack-oriented football.

All my mates followed the Knights, except for one d***head who followed Souffs and actually considered them to be the pride of the league. He copped it deluxe in 1999 :lol:

My mates used to sit on the old wooden benches just to the right of the goal posts and we'd alternate between firing up our players and shouting insults at the visiting players. It wasn't just us though, most of the 20000 plus crowd at each home game would give it to the visiting team massively after Joey started banging in the nails. You could see it in the players' faces that they didn't want to be there.

The Joey years were the best. Most Knights fans would turn up at the ground expecting the team to win, and we rarely walked away disappointed. The biggest rivalry in those years imo was against the Roosters. The Fittler vs Johns battles were epic. Two great attacking teams going at each others' throats. That 2000 semi was gut wrenching.
So SK has the good sense to have one decent mate. There's still hope for you

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I would have thought that bm would have been burnt by lying on the internet previously but he decides to come up with completely fantastical reasons why he supports souths instead of the actual reason jumped on the bandwagon when they looked like they might win a premiership. Did he even post here previous to inglis signing.

Fire

First Grade
I would have thought that bm would have been burnt by lying on the internet previously but he decides to come up with completely fantastical reasons why he supports souths instead of the actual reason jumped on the bandwagon when they looked like they might win a premiership. Did he even post here previous to inglis signing.

Agreed.

Looks like the germ is going to ruin another decent thread, too...

Pete Cash

Post Whore
He signed up like a month before inglis signed with souths for the record. Must be some weird spooky coincidence he signed up when they started to put a team together when he claims he supports them for historic reasons.

For the record the first game of rugby league I watched was the 89 grand final and I liked it so I supported the winner.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Oh FFS would you gronks leave the little bullshitter to his fantasies and stop egging him on

You're all ruining the thread

LatK7

First Grade
Mum's side of the family has supported Saints for a long time, since the 40s. Family has lived in the area since the 40s as well. My Grandfather and his brother played for a feeder club long ago. I remember as a kid seeing Blacklock and Mundine do incredible things. Such an exciting team to watch in the 90s and mid 2000s. Since I moved away from the area, few of my friends support them. Ah, couldn't ever support another team. No way.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Look at the join date of my account. Months before we signed GI.

I started following this team when it was terrible. I'm no bandwagoner.

Raised in the Shire but met Ron Coote just as I was becoming aware of the game. He asked, "Who do you go for son?" I responded, "Eastern Suburbs Mr Coote." Dumb reason I know but I stuck by them.
The 74 - 75 seasons may have helped lay the foundation of loyalty.

hardbaby

Coach
Grandparents on both sides into parents on both sides into me. Sadly I don't have any kids to keep the tradition going but I am the godfather of a number of children. They all support the Dragons.