What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does Nein love Saints?

Looking back over the first 11 rounds, St George Illawarra has featured on Channel Nine six times out of 11, and in five of the last five weeks. They're also on again this Friday night. Bearing in mind they had the bye one week and had the Anzac Day game (Thursday) on another, the Dragons have been/will be on Nine seven weeks out of a possible 10 (five on Friday night). This for a side at the foot of the table and with no sign of improving that position. One must ask why Nine is so keen to show this team. Even if the decision of which games to show in round 12 was made after round three or four it would have evident then that the Dragons were not going to be one of the leading sides.

I thought they must have learned their lesson because they're not on Nine in round 13 or 14 but then they are on again in rounds 15 and 16. Only six out of the 16 clubs can be on any given week and clubs like the Warriors, Raiders and Storm (the Strom/Manly game was top of the table and didn't even make the Sunday game) rarely make an appearance, even though they are all doing better than the Dragons. In fact the Storm should be on all the time seeing as they're one of the best sides, something that was clearly going to be the case early in the season.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that a Nine affiliate part owns the Dragons? Are the blokes who make the decisions at Nine Dragons fans? Do they think more people want to watch the Dragons than, say, the Storm? Or is there another reason for what seems a disproportionate number of games for the Dragons on Nine considering their lowly position?

Personally I don't look forward to watching them play, especially on a Friday night.

Red Bear

Referee
Probly cos they've been good for a while, reember the first 5 rounds are done before the season starts and they won first round, more incentive etc.

I dont agree with it at all but thats how it works

t-ba

Post Whore
The myth of the 'Massive Dragons army.'

They're playing live into Queensland on Friday, which makes sense. they're a well supported club in Bananastan.

They knew that Gasnier was gone after the Charity Shield and that without Barrett and Bailey they were already going to struggle. In round one they only narrowly beat the Titans, another side expected to struggle. Hardly an indication they were going to be a force this year. By contrast, there were pretty good signs for other sides, like Melbourne, Manly and Souths yet they haven't had nearly as many Nine games as the Dragons.

Does Nine (PBL) have a stake in WIN Television? I assume it does own part of WIN, which in turn owns 25% of the Dragons. Free to air television appearances are widely considered to be good for the clubs that get more games when it comes to commercial deals like sponsorhips etc. If the Dragons are getting more games on Nine, in theory, their sponsors are getting more exposure and that is worth more to the sponsors and therefore more the club. I suppose it might not be any different to Fox showing News Ltd owned teams but Nine is free to air and free to air games is what most clubs are after.

All I know is I'm less inclined to watch this Friday becauae they're playing (again). I find that people want to see the best clubs no matter where they are from, like Melbourne. A few years ago no one would have watched the Cowboys if they'd been on Nine (and they never were), but now that they are not only one of the better teams but are one of the most entertaining teams people like to watch them, even in NSW.

drake

First Grade
I daresay it would have something to do with average ratings. Just because our match attendance is down doesn't mean people aren't willing to park their arses down in front of the telly and watch it for free.

Not many NRL clubs have fans as far flung as the Dragons, (we have a Dragons supporters group in Germany) it is still famous, and probably always will be. The 11 year winning streak will stay etched in the subconscious for many years. We could have 17 overweight 40 year olds run out and we'd get more notice than many teams.

Rightly or wrongly, the Dragons are considered a 'glamour team', even when we are playing like absolute sh*te like this year.

East Coast Tiger said:
Does Nine (PBL) have a stake in WIN Television? I assume it does own part of WIN, which in turn owns 25% of the Dragons. Free to air television appearances are widely considered to be good for the clubs that get more games when it comes to commercial deals like sponsorhips etc. If the Dragons are getting more games on Nine, in theory, their sponsors are getting more exposure and that is worth more to the sponsors and therefore more the club. I suppose it might not be any different to Fox showing News Ltd owned teams but Nine is free to air and free to air games is what most clubs are after.

:lol:

What a wild imagination you have.

Obvious theory: Nine thinks the Dragons rate and thought they would perform better than they have.

Creative theory: Nine wants to prop up the team part-owned by a rival media company and is willing to take a ratings blow in order to achieve it.

:crazy:

drake

First Grade
East Coast Tiger said:
The truth is out there Mulder. :sarcasm:

Cheesie-the-Pirate said:

What a wild imagination you have.

Obvious theory: Nine thinks the Dragons rate and thought they would perform better than they have.

Creative theory: Nine wants to prop up the team part-owned by a rival media company and is willing to take a ratings blow in order to achieve it.

:crazy:
It's not a rival organisation.

My theory makes more sense than thinking St George was going to be any good this year.

East Coast Tiger said:
It's not a rival organisation.

Please shut up before you make it clear that you know nothing about the television industry.

Of course it's a rival corporation. Who were the two competing parties for the Sunraysia Television (Channel 9 Perth)? PBL and WIN. Who were the two competing parties for NBN Television? PBL and WIN.

The fact that WIN is a regional affilliate of Channel 9 does not alter the fact that PBL and WIN are two competing corporations.

I guess Nine did just think the Dragons were going to be something other than an embarrassing reserve grade side playing in the NRL then. I guess they f**ked up big time.

Brycey

Juniors
Storm, Cowboys, Raiders, Warriors, and Bulldogs should always be prioritised for FNF.

Hutty1986

Immortal
East Coast Tiger said:
I guess Nine did just think the Dragons were going to be something other than an embarrassing reserve grade side playing in the NRL then. I guess they f**ked up big time.

It's hard to play better than a Reserve grade standard when you're having to put out a reserve grade side every week.

Hardly rocket science

_Johnsy said:
I think someone needs a little attention. Pay for fox you tight ass
I've got it. Although Friday night games are the only ones I am able to watch live due to work. But that's not the point. The point is Channel Nine games are more important for clubs and they're more important for the game and its promotion. Having the same club on all the time isn't a good thing, especially when it is producing such terrible football. More of the Bulldogs/Cowboys from last week would be great, but I don't think we'll be seeing that kind of football this Friday.

Southernsaint

Staff member
East Coast Tiger said:
Looking back over the first 11 rounds, St George Illawarra has featured on Channel Nine six times out of 11, and in five of the last five weeks. They're also on again this Friday night. Bearing in mind they had the bye one week and had the Anzac Day game (Thursday) on another, the Dragons have been/will be on Nine seven weeks out of a possible 10 (five on Friday night). This for a side at the foot of the table and with no sign of improving that position. One must ask why Nine is so keen to show this team. Even if the decision of which games to show in round 12 was made after round three or four it would have evident then that the Dragons were not going to be one of the leading sides.

I thought they must have learned their lesson because they're not on Nine in round 13 or 14 but then they are on again in rounds 15 and 16. Only six out of the 16 clubs can be on any given week and clubs like the Warriors, Raiders and Storm (the Strom/Manly game was top of the table and didn't even make the Sunday game) rarely make an appearance, even though they are all doing better than the Dragons. In fact the Storm should be on all the time seeing as they're one of the best sides, something that was clearly going to be the case early in the season.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that a Nine affiliate part owns the Dragons? Are the blokes who make the decisions at Nine Dragons fans? Do they think more people want to watch the Dragons than, say, the Storm? Or is there another reason for what seems a disproportionate number of games for the Dragons on Nine considering their lowly position?

Personally I don't look forward to watching them play, especially on a Friday night.

Don't hate the player, hate the game...

Latest posts